Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:52   #1

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Handheld VHF Recommendation?

I searched the forums some and don't find this specific topic in the last year. There may be a thread there and if someone has the link please post it.

I'm in need of a good Handheld? One of the boat magazines did a dunk test for an hour and said the the Garmin and ICOM failed and they recommended the Standard Horizon. Standard HX350S Is Top-Rated Waterproof Handheld VHF Radio

Thanks for any ones time replying here.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:11   #2
Eternal Member

I think the review said it all. The new Standard Horizon is the winner, and not only because of it's waterproof design.

I like Standard products. Have a fixed-mount Standard VHF on my boat, and generally like their approach. I believe Motorola now owns them...not sure, but Vertex Standard, Yaesu, and Motorola all seem to be tied up together.

If I were in the market for a new marine VHF handheld, I'd certainly go for the Standard. Meanwhile, since I'm a ham I'll stick with my Yaesu (Vertex Standard/Motorola??) VX-170's which are waterproof/submersible and great performers across the board.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:37   #3

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Maybe I should be looking at....

Maybe I should be look at the Yaesu too. We're both hams but I would say we're ham lites (Generals).

Don't know if in the islands which would be the best. Doubt there are many repeaters out yonder.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14   #4

Boat: 36' custom steel
I've been using the same Standard handheld VHF since 1995. FWIW. Should I ever need to get another one, it will be Standard.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
One of the boat magazines did a dunk test for an hour and said the the Garmin and ICOM failed and they recommended the Standard Horizon. Standard HX350S Is Top-Rated Waterproof Handheld VHF Radio
Timely thread, after 11 years the nicad battery in my Standard horizon finally bit the dust yesterday. Radio works with the alkaline pack, but to replace the rechargeable battery costs as much as a new radio.

I read that article, and just went to the store saying "I want the Standard HX350" and they told me that model was discontinued, and the one that replaced it has also been discontinued, so while the article has no date on it I think it's pretty old.

Taking off tomorrow so I had to just pick up what was available, Icom M72 looked like the best I could get my hands on locally, so that's what I've got now. Check back with me in 11 years and we'll see if it's up to Standard's standards.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:52   #6

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Timely thread, after 11 years the nicad battery in my Standard horizon finally bit the dust yesterday. Radio works with the alkaline pack, but to replace the rechargeable battery costs as much as a new radio.
My Standard battery also bit the dusk. I'm using rechargeable alkalines until I get tired of that.
Old 09-06-2009, 13:02   #7

Standard HH and Fixed Station. I live near their NA HQ. I think they are the best out there.
Old 09-06-2009, 13:33   #8

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
look here on this forum as there was a post about a groups buy it was about the new standard with GPS, what makes sense as it has DSC.
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 15:40   #9

Just bought a Lowrance LHR-80 with GPS. Seems great. I liked the distress function that sends the MMSI number and lat/long coords.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote