Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2008, 09:55   #1

Boat: Irwin MK III 37 Questeria
Guzzler 500 Manual Bilge Pump

One of the challenges from owning an old boat is identifying all the things you find. We had this odd looking device installed on our cockpit floor that at first looked like some kind of cockpit drain. We probably would have left it alone, except that it leaked water on top of the engine and into the bilge whenever it rained.

We finally determined that it is a manual bilge pump that can be operated from the cockpit. Now that I have removed it and temporarily plugged the hole, I have found I can buy a replacement. I have always wanted to have a manual bilge pump, but before I go ahead and order this, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Guzzler 500 thru-deck mounted pump. Does it leak (the old one had been filled up with silicone caulk) and does it work reasonably well. I'd like to hear from anyone who's had one.

Thanks, Ron
Ron_Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 10:26   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I had one of those on a previous boat and found it to be a simple good back up system for the elctric bilge pumps. They can move a lot of water quickly. I don't understand why yours was leaking into the engine room unless the body or the diaphram was cracked. I had one for ten years always exposed to the weather. After ten years it was time to change the diaphram and the check valves. About a $20 repair kit. Properly installed it will service you for many years.
Old 14-04-2008, 11:58   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I rebuilt mine with a new kit. It had a little erosion (aluminum body) so I sand blasted it and used Belzona for repairs and coating. It's like new and better. I think the new ones are plastic (even mo better).

They are not cheap but well worth the money if you ever really need it.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:42   #4

Boat: Irwin MK III 37 Questeria
Thanks for the response. I've decided to buy a replacement. The old one was not maintained and the rubber seal had deteriorated so it was no longer functional. It sounds like the new one will be worth it.

Thanks, Ron
Ron_Fran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump