Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 21:53   #1

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
GO Pro 3 for the Boat

I am really confused. I thought it may be fun to get a Go Pro for use on the boat. For diving, snorkelling, surveying the hull etc. I went looking and can't seem to work out what the differences are. The price range in OZ seems to range from $269 to over $500 even one at $999 on ebay. What the.... I'm not looking to do anything super special. Just thought water proof, tough, reasonably idiot proof, seemed a good idea.

So what is the difference between the Go Pro 3 silver and the black? Is it only the colour, over $100 difference?

Does anyone else have one on board? Any feedback and or advice as to what model?
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 00:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: GO Pro 3 for the Boat

The white is the starter model, then silver, then black. If you research the models you will see what you gain for each one.

Coops.
Old 30-08-2013, 00:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I have just put a post in here with some photos taken on the go pro 3 black:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...na-110176.html

Mine was borrowed from a freind. I only had a play with it for a few hours over a couple of days but it seems like a great option.
I did a bit of research with a view to buying one myself.

There are 3 versions
White, silver and black. The resolution and other features improves as you move up the range. (It is not just the external colour)
The silver is considered the best option for most, but I think if get one I will probably fork out for the black.

After using one for a few hours my impression it that is an ideal waterproof camera/ video camera for the boat. Most of the other waterproof cameras are not waterproof enough for my snorkelling which can often be quite deep.
Very small package
Exceptional video quality
Just adequate still quality
Clunky interface. I might have to actually read the instructions
Just adequate low light performance.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 00:25   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
We have the black and it came with the wrist remote included, this may not come with the others.

I have seen Swann cameras reconmended on this forum,cheaper and better.
Our gopro did not function until we did a software update,very poor that it did not work straight put of the box.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 00:44   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Here is a link summarising the differences:

GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	66200  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 05:14   #6

Boat: Leopard 40

We have the Silver GoPro3 and I would agree with what noelex has said. It is a very good, compact, and reasonably priced underwater camera+housing. Video is excellent, stills are good, interface is clunky compared to a standard digital camera.

It took(me) some getting used to no view screen and figuring out how to move through the menu system/file structure. I did have to read the instructions! The batteries tend to run out more quickly than I would have expected (seems like it lasted about 40-50min) and it is easy to think you turned it off when you didn't (in the water) because of no real view screen so pay attention to the red indicator light. We have a lot of water and sand video
It requires a good quality microSD card because it is very sensitive to the card and will give you errors. We use a class 10 64GB microSD and it fills up pretty fast on HD mode.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 05:27   #7

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I have a GoPro Hero3 Black. I have used it to make movies while sailing, mountain biking, snorkeling and skiing. You can get an add on lcd screen for the back of the camera. Also, Wasabi batteries/charger available on Amazon are a good cheap upgrade to the factory battery. They last longer and come with a 12v cig lighter charger in addition to the 110v charger.

I do not have the lcd. I just use my Android phone or ipad as a viewfinder. Much easier when you mount the camera in a place where you cannot see the back.

2013 BVI St. Patty's day trip

2013 Mountain biking at Kingdom Trails

2013 Skiing at Burke Mountain
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 06:17   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I used and I did not like. Then we tried an equivalent Sony camera and the videos were much better.

Shop around. Hero not the only make.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 06:43   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Please review this thread.http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-101390.html

I have not purchased yet, but it will be the Contour. Far too many bad GoPro reviews on various websites including Amazon.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
I am really confused. I thought it may be fun to get a Go Pro for use on the boat. For diving, snorkelling, surveying the hull etc. I went looking and can't seem to work out what the differences are. The price range in OZ seems to range from $269 to over $500 even one at $999 on ebay. What the.... I'm not looking to do anything super special. Just thought water proof, tough, reasonably idiot proof, seemed a good idea.

So what is the difference between the Go Pro 3 silver and the black? Is it only the colour, over $100 difference?

Does anyone else have one on board? Any feedback and or advice as to what model?
Why don't you get a SWANN camera? I believe it's an Australian product too. I've got a GoPro Hero and a Swann and I use the Swann much more than the GoPro. It's easier to operate and can take photos or video as it has two separate buttons on the housing. No push button menu settings to go through like the GoPro. Comes with a lot of accessories standard than the GoPro too! Cheaper too! I also had a very good experience with their customer service too:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A CAPT. MIKE TIP OF THE HAT: Swann Communications & their Freestyle HD Camera
No interest in the company just find the Swann easier to use than the GoPro.
Old 30-08-2013, 07:38   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

One tip about buying a GoPro camera. The manufacturer sets a Minimum Advertised Price. Dealers are not allowed to advertise below that price but they can sell for what ever price they want to. Ask for a quote.
Old 30-08-2013, 08:00   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Don't forget there are other alternatives to the GoPro. They just have spent the most on marketing and there have the name recognition.

Contour and Drift are both great alternatives. Contour's future is up in the air, but since these cameras really aren't something I'd consider repairable, I see no reason not to get one. I have two contours (one 4 years old and a newer one) and a friend has the GoPro Hero 3. They are very comparable - I prefer the form factor of the contour and he preferred the deal he could get on the gopro through work.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 08:12   #13
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25
I purchased and used a Drift Innovations Ghost HD and have been very satisfied. Used it on the boat a lot and shot some underwater snorkeling video as well. I think one thing I noticed was how much better the sound quality was than the GoPro I used.
Old 30-08-2013, 08:50   #14

Boat: Bristol 47.7

FWIW, the Panbo website recently reviewed a new line of these types of compact, waterproof cameras from Garmin. May be worth checking out.

I am primarily interested in these cameras to use as a web cam for when I'm away from my boat. Go Pro claim they have their WiFi set-up available now but the reviews suggest otherwise. Another potential use could be as an add'l "lookout" when short or singlehanded, monitored below via an iPad, etc. Either way you'd obviously have to have them plugged into charging devices all the time. Has anybody attempted these sorts of applications with the Go Pro or others?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 09:19   #15

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

My GoPro 3 black has wifi built in and it works fine. It can be used as a cam but you would need to keep the charger plugged in.

Not sure about a lookout capability as you cannot have the charger plugged in with the water proof case installed.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote