Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2007, 07:47   #1

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Glue On Inflateable Number Plates

After reading about the product from boatnumberplate.com in the thread Numbers on my new dingy we decided to give it a go.

During the time we were considering it, they were modifying their market channel from direct to through dealers.

I went to the Boater’s World link and started to order. I was concerned at the choices I was offered and was not absolutely sure, that if I continued I would get the plates I wanted. They offer both self adhesive and glue on products. I wanted the glue on.

I decided it would be better to go to a Boater’s World store and talk to a real human. The closest store is about 50 miles (Atlantic City). Neither of the sales people at that store had the slightest idea what I wanted. I took a copy of the company’s web site but they had no literature at the store. One called the catalog section and received no further help.

I left somewhat frustrated. I called boatnumberplates.com on the cell and left a message. Within a half hour I received a return call. They remembered my earlier emails with my questions, and said since I have already started the process when they were going direct, they would fill my order. They requested that I inform Boater’s World customer service so that both sides would try to iron out the process.

The next day, I left a message on the customer service link of Boater’s World web site (customerservice@boatersworld.com) describing my experience. I expected that to be the end of it. However, within a couple of hours I actually received a phone call from their customer service people wanting to assure they understood the problem and apologizing from my experience.

My number plates arrived within 3 days and are now glued on the boat. I think they look great. A couple of thumbnails below show them off.

Installing them is the same as doing a patch, except you have the smooth inflated surface to work with. I used about one tube of PVC glue from West Marine per plate, price close to $20 each to do the surfaces per directions on the tube.

The self adhesive plates would be easier to install, but I was concerned about their permanence.

I cannot comment on durability of the product since I have just installed them but I have a warm fuzzy feeling. They look and feel right.

Click on thumbnails below

Although the purchasing process was not easy, both companies behaved as if they cared.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 07:51   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I had problems with thumbnails and couldn't seem to edit the message above. I will post pictures in my members gallery.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 09:29   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here ya go...............

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote