Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58   #1

Boat: Ericson 36C 36' Paradise
Glacier Bay Mark II 12vdc Refrigerator

This should start some brain cells sparking.
We are located in Curacao, last month at about 0300hrs our fridge kicked on, as it started it runs for 1-2 min then kicks into compressing and as it did the compressor started to hammer,and I mean hammer loud.It only lasted for 2-3 seconds, woke us from a very sound sleep and by the time I was able to figure out what was happening it was over. Well I knew that the fridge because I sleep between my wife and the refer system, we are long time friends. So I could hear it running(the fridge) for maybe 2min then the hammering again very loud, I instantly turned it off the switch(it was there too). We didn't know what to do so the next I tried to call Glacier Bay, no joy. I checked for refrigerant and according to the sight glass it filled and bubbles went away when I turned it on and oil level was right in the sight glass. WOW!!! It fixed it self!!!!! No more hammering too good to be true. I thought that I would let it run and pump down the cold plate. Well no such luck. Didn't compress either now it just moves refrigerant around and does not get cold, and neither does the beer
Just a little back ground on the fridge, I installed in 1997 as just a fridge to keep it simple. It's a Glacier Bay Mark II 12v(don't knock it yet) It has been running for about 13yrs, only had to replace temp probe for holding plate,water circulating pump. and one damper between motor and compressor. It runs 60 to 90 min in 24hrs or about 20 to 30 min 3 times in 24hrs. I think that because it is only a fridge and not freezer and well insulated box that it has worked well. So now it doesn't work well, I'm a patient man and spent the next 5 weeks trying to get a hold of Glacier Bay that is another story. Anyway no joy until yesterday they call and tell me that they do not support that product anymore, but give the number of a new co that will,Pacific Sea Breeze(aka R-Parts). I email and call,,, no return. Now I'm good with a wrench and understand mechanics but what I'm looking for is something that will send me in the right direction before I tear the whole thing part Any help would be helpful. Thanx
Ericson 36c #51
boatbumms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 13:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Ask the refrigeration guru, Richard Kollmann

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Richard Kollmann

kollmann-marine.com :: Index

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 16:42   #3

books

Thanx,ordered the books hope they get there on time(it's a transport problem from the states to me) standing by.
Ericson 36c #51
Old 12-11-2010, 16:46   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
comprssor's failed

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 16:55   #5

fearfull

Thanx Dave.
The good thing is that it's rebuild able.Trying to set myself up to do the work. The more I run the story through my mind the more you're right.
Ericson 36c #51

Tags
refrigerator