Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2018, 00:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Genuine Dyneema or fake, how can you tell the difference

Okay,
I admit it. I am trying to save some money here however, in the back of my mind I wonder if I have purchased fake Dyneema rope.

It kind of looks like Dyneema and it floats. Fibers are very small unlike PP.

However, can I really get 100 feet of 1/4" Dyneema rope for less than $50 USD?

They advertise average breaking strength of 6500 lbs.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/w...0c1WZ30kY&mp=1

I am willing to do a destructive test on a small sample.

Any thoughts how to test whether this is Dyneema or fake?

Likely they cannot call it Dyneema owing to trademark. However, it sure looks like it. Or rather I am unsure which is the whole point of this thread.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:09   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Genuine Dyneema or fake, how can you tell the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Okay,
I admit it. I am trying to save some money here however, in the back of my mind I wonder if I have purchased fake Dyneema rope.

Likely they cannot call it Dyneema owing to trademark. However, it sure looks like it. Or rather I am unsure which is the whole point of this thread.

It is not fake because it does not say that it is Dyneema. It is probably generic UHMPE based on the specs, but it does not say that either.

Basically, either pull test it or test a single strand. It's the only way to be sure. I've done this on generic UHMPE samples numerous times. So far, they've met the stated specification, which is not that high for 1/4-inch rope.

DSM bought an interest in a Chinese manufacturer and makes rope there. It is not Dyneema, but it's pretty darn good. This may be that product or something similar.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I'm using some "fake" dyneema I was turned on to by SeaworthyLass. It is Timm Acera Amundsen, and it is made by a major manufacturer of cordage for professional use (shipping and fishing).

I have not tested it, but coming from such a reputable source I suppose it must meet the specs, which are identical to dyneema.

The stuff is excellent in every way, and very pleasant to work with due to the good coatings -- indistinguishable from the better grades of the real stuff and much better than the uncoated or poorly coated types. And it only costs about 1/3 what "real" dyneema does.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

It is not unthinkable to get real Dyneema for that price: it is being made in vast quantities, and with other versions now on the market, the price was bound to come down. Consider that at the end of the day, it's just plastic.
Though I'd rather have Real Dyneema from a reputable manufacturer for anything important, I'll point out that there's varying quality in construction across the major manufacturers: NER recently had so much trouble with sticky core coatings that some suppliers stopped stocking them; Samson was making their helices so tight you could barely splice their 1/4" 12-stand; try to get a covered eye splice to suck in tight with 8mm Marlow (every other diameter is fine, just 8mm is the Devil).
So as you shop for real Dyneema, look also at the other factors that make a line a line--test-splice samples to see how they behave, to see whether fuzz develops early, to see how cover and core fit together....these things are important too.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:56   #5

Benz sums it up nicely. Fake isn't really the right term, unless they lie about the source.

But think about nylon rope from Home Depot compared to good marine rope. It probably meets its claimed spec (which is generally low). It may be a blend. Coatings and weave may be substandard.

It also depends on the use. Is it high abrasion or maybe not?

I've used generic UHMPE for many things, where it can be an awesome value, but I would stay would stay away from it for other things. I would buy nylon cord at the hardware store, but not climbing rope.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:55   #6

Boat: Marples 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm using some "fake" dyneema I was turned on to by SeaworthyLass. It is Timm Acera Amundsen, and it is made by a major manufacturer of cordage for professional use (shipping and fishing).

I have not tested it, but coming from such a reputable source I suppose it must meet the specs, which are identical to dyneema.

The stuff is excellent in every way, and very pleasant to work with due to the good coatings -- indistinguishable from the better grades of the real stuff and much better than the uncoated or poorly coated types. And it only costs about 1/3 what "real" dyneema does.

I've been trying to find a source for Acera Amundsen in North America. Does anybody know if it's available here?
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:11   #7

Hi real dyneema from DSM is rated at 37gms/denier and is made from UHMWPE, Chinese UHMWPE is rated at 35grms/denier but has the same stretch creep properties. The average user will not detect the difference.
Chinese UHMWPE is about 30% of the price hence the difference
CRANBERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:22   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440

I agree that it's not fake but not dyneema either. It's a reasonably good synthetic material, judging by the specs. Test first if it's for critical applications.

Real dyneema of that diameter has a higher breaking strength. This one, from my favorite vendor, is 9700 lbs. The cost is not much higher than the OPs purchase ($0.75/ft vs. $0.50/ft).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-4-6mm...AAAOSwdzlbcFof

I'd also be interested in others' favorite sources for dyneema or any other suitable materials.
SundayMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 13:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Thank you for all your replies. Once upon a time I was a big budget sailor, and I purchased the "real" thing. Now I am a cruising sailor and adequate to do the task is more important.

I am now based on replies confident this rope is closer to what I consider to be the real thing.

"DSM is rated at 37gms/denier and is made from UHMWPE, Chinese UHMWPE is rated at 35grms/denier but has the same stretch creep properties"

It also makes sense that the price of this material dropped now that it is massed produced. The application for the product I purchased is tow ropes on small trucks and ATVs which are now supplied in the millions.

My application isn't exactly "critical". I am placing a 17 foot spar behind my pilot house to support some shade cloth to keep the sun off the stern cabin.
Old 12-09-2018, 14:52   #10

Quote:
... My application isn't exactly "critical". I am placing a 17 foot spar behind my pilot house to support some shade cloth to keep the sun off the stern cabin.

Exactly. I think it is going to evolve into an economical product with many uses. Just not standing rigging.

Often you can find the material for under 1/4th the price of a name brand, cheaper than polyester on a $/BS basis. I use it for similar applications, where I can go over strength. Most of the time I'm more interested in UV resistance, ease of splicing, low stretch, and smooth running than strength.
Old 12-09-2018, 19:08   #11

Quote:
Okay,

I bought this Fake Dyneema and so far I can't detect any difference what so ever.
The price was right also . They make and sell dyneema for tying up giant Ocean ships. I hope I can show you's my invoice from them. This will give you an Idea. BTW This was in USD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy Dyneema.png
Views:	305
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	177274  
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:23   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Just found by random that thread, Can someone recommend a good proven source for some fake dyneema to be used for halyards I need to replace. Till now I have some non dyneema for 2:1 main sail and 2 spinnaker halyards, around 150m 12 or 10mm.
fake dyneema of proven quality would be a good compromise and it’s not urgent so longer delivery I don‘t mind.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:09   #13
Marine Service Provider

The keywords on Aliexpress are UHMWPE rope

https://www.aliexpress.us/w/wholesal...7d3e7a23OWKJQX

Many of the options have no protection at all. Some have a polyester jacket which sounds like a good idea.

Notice that the weaving on a lot of them looks very loose.

The weaving on this one...looks good but it comes in 100 meter long spools.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805989492536.html

Tags
dyneema, enc