Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 03:21   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2
Force 10 4 burner oven is too slow

The 4 burners on top work fine, but the oven takes like 3 hours to cook a pizza or a chicken drumstick. Tried making cookies, but after 45 mins they were still raw on top, but the ones at the back were burnt on the bottom, because I'd turned the heat right up trying to get them to cook.

Anyone ever had their stove serviced? Anyone ever had this problem and fixed it? I'm guessing stove is 14 years old, but not used much - same as the boat.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:43   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Force 10 4 burner oven is too slow

Do you have the deflector plate in place over the burner?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:58   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Also, what type of burner in the oven. Early models had a burner like that on the cooktop in the bottom of the overn. Later and current models have a rail burner in the back. Also those early models didn't have a thermostat in the oven.

I suggest you clean the burner. Force 10 has procedures on their website.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:58   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I have a Force 10 4-burner stove from about the same vintage and, unfortunately for us, that was right around the time that Force 10 was sold. The previous owners apparently kept poor records as to which components they were installing so getting replacement parts from Force 10 is nearly impossible.

Our oven has the exact opposite problem - it only cooks at Wide Open Throttle, regardless of where the thermostat is set. A tray of cookies cooks in 8 minutes but you have to watch them carefully or they burn.

We're seriously considering replacing our stove.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“I also had problems with oven not heating up, Force 10 was excellent about responding to my emails, they said check that the stainless heat plate over the burner was all the way to the back of the oven, no space, I found that mine was made so that there was a gap between it and the back of the oven, Force 10 said this would allow heat to just rise up and go out the vent. I turned the plate upside down and pushed it all the way back, works better. Was this a design or fabrication error ? dont know.”

More Here ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ven-16329.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:08   #6

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

we have the same oven from 1996. It had similar problems. We found that adding a pizza stone on top of the heat deflector seems to make the oven heat more evenly. We have the single round burner in the center at the bottom.

It looks like it used to have a broiler but someone removed the valve for that.

It seems to be more on the hot side. Adding the pizza stone keeps most things from burning. We had to cut the round stone with a tile cutter to fit in the square oven but it works. We also found a square stone from Pampered Chef here: https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Ba...gle+Stone/1350

The original broke during the transit from the Chesapeake to the VI.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:22   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Cool Re: Force 10 4 burner oven is too slow

We too struggled with the “lukewarm oven” syndrome, diagnosed and measured using an oven thermometer. We first checked the manufacturer’s manual to see if there was an air adjustment to be made when switching between butane and propane fuel sources. We corrected this but it didn’t solve the problem. Next I removed the burner and with a piece of stiff wire, cleaned out all of the holes and removed the “hanging chads”. Better but still not right. Next I removed the gas burner nozzle and in Kemah, Texas, took it over to the propane store to see if I could buy a larger nozzle. The propane guy had this ancient wooden box containing hand, or rather "finger" operated drills. He measured the current nozzle by seeing what size drill would fit inside and then drilled it out to the next size up. That did the trick! Usable oven – pizza on demand! Didn’t even set the boat on fire.
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:11   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Force 10 4 burner oven is too slow

Those are called jet drills, and every old hot rodder has a set, used to drill out carburetor jets to enrichen the mixture.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:38   #9

Boat: Flicka

I ve had a couple different Force 10 stove that had the same problem with weak oven. I like the broiler but oven doesn't heat up properly. After taking one apart to service i noticed there was very little insulation compared to other stoved ive had. The old Shipmate stove on last boat baked great. I could get it up to 250c. It was well packed with fiberglass batting. .
boatnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:41   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Do a search. Most of the Force 10 problems have been discussed before.

Tags
oven