Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2016, 08:37   #1

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Foley marine diesel

Is anybody using these guys for engine parts?. I just purchased a 4 inch piece of rope for my 4-108 m, for like 120.00. O wait this piece of impregnated rope is a block to pan seal.

I was amused at first. Now I'm just disappointed. The money isn't the source of disappointment, it's the arrogance, of a firm to charge 120.00 ish dollars for a fricking piece of roughly 1/2 rope.

Never again!

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 08:57   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Foley marine diesel

You got screwed. A complete gasket for your engine is only about $120 plus the rear main seal kit for another $30. TAD (Trans Atlantic Diesel) sounds like it would be better parts source.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:05   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Is anybody using these guys for engine parts?. I just purchased a 4 inch piece of rope for my 4-108 m, for like 120.00. O wait this piece of impregnated rope is a block to pan seal.

I was amused at first. Now I'm just disappointed. The money isn't the source of disappointment, it's the arrogance, of a firm to charge 120.00 ish dollars for a fricking piece of roughly 1/2 rope.

Never again!

Dirk
Dirk--

Use the Search function on the blue bar, above, for Foley. The number of threads on the company and its abuses is notable. Frankly, I wonder how they can keep finding people that will deal with them without first running a simple check on them, after which, of course no one with any sense would. I'm sorry you got burned. Unfortunately, its an object lesson that seems to need repeating once or twice a year, year after year.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:09   #4

Boat: valiant 40

I've yet to see a complimentary post regarding foley, I was going to buy a rebuild kit from them until I googled them.I would be interested to hear if someone has had a good experience.
Old 17-09-2016, 10:41   #5

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

The truth is simply this, I'm a new blue water guy. They have some decent articles regarding the Perkins 4-108m and I need to learn that motor. I had a bill of over 800.00 with them for a upper gasket set, a new style fuel filter kit, and an oil kit, 800.00!.

I've since discovered TAD, and they are awesome to work with. They have spent a reasonable amount of time finding me, answers and specific parts. I'm greatful, and I'm now a life time customer.

As for foley, best of luck to them. I'm not one to harpoon them, just pointing out my lessons learned.

Thank you for the return emails. I'm learning.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 11:23   #6

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Or try parts4engines.com, or even eBay. I picked up both an upper and lower gasket set for my 4108 off of eBay for about 60$ about a year ago, worked out great.

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 11:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I did buy one of Foley's rear main seals. It works, but not too different than the stock rope seal. It still works after 1000 hours on a generator engine. I don't use them for rebuild or other engine parts.

I agree with Ryan H. I usually check ebay first. I got fast service from Parts4Engines for Perkins & Volvo Penta Engine Parts They're in Britain so shipping can be an issue.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine