Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 12:08   #1

Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
Fillet Knife Recommendations ?

Can anyone recommend a fillet knife, specifically for fish that would be caught (hopefully!) in the Florida keys. Thanks.
saltysiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:26   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Filet knife

I have one of these browning fillet knives. I think I got it at basspro... Fantastic knife, best fillet knife I've owned. Same steel as my Wusthof kitchen knives (which is crazy sharp and fairly durable). Not too flexible, not too big...
Old 09-10-2011, 13:10   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Fillet knife

i got a good one at ace hardware--- they had chicago cutlery in louisianna...good stuff.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 14:07   #4

Boat: Skookum 53'

Rapala makes a very good filet knife.
Old 09-10-2011, 15:39   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Don't be lured into a cheap price. What makes a good filet knife is the quality of the steel and it's ability to take and keep an edge. For the most part filet knives are made from Stainless Steel. But the quality of the Stainless is the key. Buy from well known knife makers, they use the better steel. You don't say what kind of fishing you'd like to do. In the Keys there are all kinds of fishing. But assuming you're talking closer to shore, Snapper, Yellow tail etc. a 6"-7.5" knife would suffice. I think 7.5" is a good meduim range. Offshore where the bigger fish are caught like Dolphin I like 9"+. Flexability is important. The smaller knives should be more flexable than the longer ones. Also like any quality edged tool the sharper the better and the more safe it is to use. Also the sharper it is the less meat that will be wasted.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 15:46   #6

Fiskars, with the grey soft rubber handle. it's what the commercial guys used to use. Inexpensive. I'm currently using the one I've had 19 years in the kitchen because I finally decided there is no way I'm going to wear it out in my life time. It's a serrated edge and neer been sharpened. Still sharp as heck!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 16:47   #7

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Fillet Knife

I had 2 fiskars when I was commercial fishing in the PNW. You couldn't beat them IMO. Lost my first one when the boat went down but it was the first thing
I replaced when fitting out again. They were very well known years ago and it was rare to be aboard either a seiner, gillnetter or troller that you wouldn't find a couple of them around. Didn't know they were still in business. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:23   #8

Boat: Tartan 30

Serrated edges are nice for cutting fish and bait, and other general purpose things. I have a nice dexter-russell (sani-safe) (good old white handled knives you find in every commercial kitchen in the US) serrated fillet knife, but I use it as a general purpose knife. Its SS and has a nice leather sheath.

But for actually filleting fish, a high carbon (sharp!), non-serrated, blade, with the right amount of flexibility is key, IMO. You don't need stainless steel if you take care of it. Just rinse/wash with fresh water after every use and don't leave it outside. The steel in that Browning, which is relatively cheap considering, is the same steel in Wusthof classic knives. It's seriously super sharp, very durable for ("no-stain") carbon blade, and Comes in an good nylon sheath that fits perfectly (all my knives are protected, even the kitchen knives)

There's a few different models of browning fillet knives, this particular model is the only one that uses this steel. Otherwise, I haven't normally been very impressed with browning knives (mostly pocket knives). This is the exception. I think I paid about $20 at basspro for it.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I had 2 fiskars when I was commercial fishing in the PNW. You couldn't beat them IMO. Lost my first one when the boat went down but it was the first thing
I replaced when fitting out again. They were very well known years ago and it was rare to be aboard either a seiner, gillnetter or troller that you wouldn't find a couple of them around. Didn't know they were still in business. Capt Phil
Evidently they are part of Gerber now. I dont see the commercial model I have looking around on the internet. What I like a lot about it is the soft handle with ridges and the 10" blade. If your hands are slimy with fish goo it's pretty easy to grip this knife. This one sounds similar, but I couldnt tell if it's serrated or not . canada knife|gerber fiskars powergrip filet I only Paid $11 for mine 19 years ago. Dont think they've gone up to much in price. A really sharp serrated blade is hard to beat for big fish as they stay sharp without sharpening for years, but the plain plade is probably better for small fish, bass, trout etc. or if you remember to sharpen it often.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:28   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Fillet Knife Recommendations ?

when buying a good knife i reccomend getting a good pair of gloves as well saves thousands in microsurgery,best are the knitted type with raised plastic ribbing on the fingers and palms.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
when buying a good knife i reccomend getting a good pair of gloves as well saves thousands in microsurgery,best are the knitted type with raised plastic ribbing on the fingers and palms.....
Good point, I've been very lucky over the years but had some pretty close calls!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:43   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I use a filleting glove that has steel threads woven into it. Keeps the sharp pokey bits from getting to you. I use two rapala's that I keep sharp and am happy with.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57   #13

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

We used to have a chain mail glove that we used on the hand the knife wasn't in not dissimilar to the oyster shucking gloves you can get now. We had to order them in the old days out of a supplier in Steveston, BC on the Fraser River. Fit either left or right hand.
When you're cleaning a mess of salmon and trying to stay ahead of the catch it easy to slice a finger or your hand open and you are probably not fishing next to someone who can sew you up in hurry. Although I recall seeing some pretty interesting sewing jobs done with fishline on folks on the west coast, some done by the fisherman on themselves!
They were still some pretty fun days out on the water in 50's and 60's... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:59   #14

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Evidently they are part of Gerber now.
Vice versa..
Fiskars Global Site
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 14:59   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use a cloth glove with a latex palm--yes i am allergic to latex, but the palm is lined woith cloth so is ok. that glove holds fishie and i cut him with my lovely knife, i cannot stand using cerrated blades-- they spell cheep to me. i dont use fancy name brands but i have enjoyed the quality of chicago cutlery for many years and is good equipment. i like the wood handle. the blade is a decent weight and the knife is well balanced for my paws.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote