Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 07:13   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Favourite Sources for 2nd Hand Parts

Could we have a thread where we all provide a contact for their favourite source of used or discontinued items?

Certainly I seek parts from time to time that are no longer manufactured or supplied via the original manufacturer or regular retail sources.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:35   #2

Re: Favourite Sources for 2nd Hand Parts

It seems the used boat parts places are disappearing slowly. Maybe due to Ebay. I have sold some stuff on Craig's list but it seems to take forever.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:30   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

As all the boat builders in California have closed Minney's Surplus has often bought their unused inventory. So besides extensive used inventory they also sell new stuff. Right now I have a NIB Lewmar hatch and an anchor rode that came from Cabo Yachts when they closed. It's also for sale as Ernie Minney wants to retire so it's future seems uncertain.
Minney's Yacht Surplus - Home
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:38   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

Ebay is my go to. The shops we have locally are sad, they ask for used, what I can buy new at a jobber's price. I do not buy any used gear that carries a load or rubber products second hand. Once bought a new old stock SW pump. After installation the impeller lasted about two hours, turned to dust.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:28   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

In Fort Lauderdale we have Sailorman, and the annual Dania Marine Fleamarket. Up coast a bit in Fort Pierce there's Marine Connection.

And, of course, eBay, Craigslist, and CruisersForum.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:42   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

There are two good places in Rhode Island on Aquidnick Island (Think Newport). Both have extensive consignment departments inside their stores. The first one is in Middletown at Melville, a former Navy base. (a side note: it housed the PT boat officers' training station and JFK trained there) The store there is The Ships Store and their website is Shop.

The second location is Newport Nautical and their website is Newport Nautical Supply.

As I mentioned both stores have an extensive consignment section. I have found sails, stainless steel railings, Bimini and dodger frames and canvas, brass, propellers, electronics, instruments, charts, fittings, winches, and just about anything else you might want. Good hunting!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:51   #7

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

I have heard there is a place in or near Annapolis....
Didn't catch the name.
Anyone knows?
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:21   #8

Boat: Hartog 40

In Annapolis it would be Bacon Assoc. Many, many sails but other stuff too
Lynn Odendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:29   #9

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Odendahl View Post
In Annapolis it would be Bacon Assoc. Many, many sails but other stuff too

https://baconsails.com/
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 13:43   #10

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

Sailor's Exchange in St Augustine:
https://www.sailors-exchange.com/
They are active on Ebay.
Also, Seven Seas Cruising Association gams have a flea market of nautical, mostly sailing, supplies as the weekend winds down. It's the best!!
https://www.ssca.org/
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 15:10   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Blue Pelican Marine in Alameda was a great source of parts when I had boats there. https://bluepelicanmarine.com Like any consignment place the variety of goods varied from day to day. You had to shop on pricing as some prices weren't anything to write home about but scored on a lot of stuff. If you really wanted something, they might communicate with the consignor to get a better price.

Got a few items off Craig's List but most of the parts for rehabbing two boats came from The Blue Pelican and Ebay. In any case, patience is needed when you go second hand. Seems like when I had a 'must have it right now' part I'd buy it off Ebay or at the local chandlery at a not such a good price and it would show up in a week or two on Ebay if I'd just been able to wait. Once a part showed up the next day on Ebay at 1/2 what I'd paid for it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 18:15   #12

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Geez - that's a bit like asking a prospector where he found that nugget, or in local fishing parlance, where "spot X" is - haha

I can only tell you know, since the shop has long closed down, that in Sydney there used to be a spot called the "Marine Exchange" down in Sylvania, alongside Tom Uglys bridge, that was gold!
For years after I left Sydney, any time I was passing through I would get a taxi from the airport straight to the exchange instead of killing time in the airport lounge.
Wouldn't work nowadays anyway - I cant see myself getting back through the metal detectors in time with a sack full of jibhanks in my shirt. Loved that shop tho
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:00   #13

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Yup, all the "used marine equipt." stores have closed down in the PNW too. We had 4 or 5 in the greater Vancouver area, all gone. Then there was a huge marine exchange store in Bellingham WA that seemed to close down almost overnight. It too was a mine of material & hardware. There may still be one in Sydney on Vancouver Island, but I haven't been there for a few years so cannot say for certain.

I myself have a load of 'stuff, mostly new & unused, that I've been slowly disposing of on Craigslist. Usual situation, I price my goods that I paid full retail plus taxes at 75% of retail, & "good used" items at 50% obo. At no time do I attempt to recover taxes paid at retail. That is a write-off as far as I'm concerned. I then get people asking if I will sell at half my asking price … nooooooo, …. obo means Or Best Offer, which is intended to be somewhere close. Say, 5 or 10% ... not 50% of asking price.

The thing I find about Craigslist is, if I just leave the item there, sooner or later someone will buy it at my asking price.

I put an item on the site last year at a very good price & people were still asking to buy it for 50% so, I reworded my ad, took different photos, re-advertised it at a much higher price & a fellow bought it three days later & was very happy with his purchase.

I still have quite a lot of parts, but the drawback for most of you Forum members is the fact I live near Vancouver BC which would require shipping, & that can be expensive, never mind the additional work for me to mail it; but I will if it helps someone. I shipped a brand new Traveller to a fellow in Texas last year. He was ecstatic on receiving it. Largest item I have to dispose of right now is an 8ft. Spinnaker Pole. All other stuff is relatively small, but maybe heavy.

If any of you are curious, go online Craigslist Vancouver BC … all my stuff is photographed individually, on a green background (my wife's sewing table) so each item is easily visible.

I also have a load of marine/boating books I aim to sell on Craigslist, but again, books are very heavy & expensive to ship. I have NOT put them on the web yet.
If anyone is looking for something special, shoot me a pm & i'll soon tell you if I can accommodate you.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 16:22   #14

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
There may still be one in Sydney on Vancouver Island,....
Unfortunately the store in Sidney BC is closed down as well. Sad.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 10:03   #15

Boat: Norman Cross, Ray Pond Trimaran, 50

We would like to add an update to this thread, in case your are in Long Beach area looking urgently for used parts:

Besides Minney‘s yacht surplus in Long Beach area, a fellow called Chester running a boat yard/salvage yard in Gardena has lots of used boat parts to offer at VERY DECENT prices (much less than the famous surplus store in the area). We just bought lots of heavy duty items from him. He occasionally put some items on Craigslist (too bad that he does not have time to run any ads online to make himself noticed). If you need his number, do PM us.
volksbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts