Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 23:08   #1

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
Far East Sails

has anyone had any experience purchasing sails from "far east sails"

Fareastsails, Hong Kong Sailmakers for Performance Cruising Sails

thanks
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 00:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It's about a 50/50 split around here between Far East and Rolly Tasker in Thailand. We (and a couple of other maxis) have all used Rolly Tasker.

I haven't heard anything derogatory about Far East.

I will ask around but it makes a difference on what type of sails you want - I assume you want dacron cruising sails as opposed to Kevlar racing sails.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 01:04   #3

dan: yes, dacron crusing sails. thanks.
Old 17-06-2008, 02:27   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Have heard good things about these guys and plan to order from them in the future:

Island Planet Sails
Old 18-06-2008, 16:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I've also heard good things about Far East - last time I was in Oakland for the big sail boat show, they had reps there. I used LAM sails when I purchased. Far East was almost the same price, but didn't want to give a greater discount when I added two additional sails to my order - LAM did, and so got my business.

One of the problems with NOT working with a local sailmaker, is that THEY rely on YOU to make all the measurements (if your boat isn't in their database - and if it hasn't been altered). This usually isn't a problem, except your local sailmaker will also make all those subtle/little observations that we (as non-sailmakers) and the overseas sailmakers don't think to ask about - such as where a slide will be vs. where the cringle for a reef point is.

However, the difference in price was unbelieveable!!! Main, 130 Genoa, Mizzen, Mizzen staysail, A-sym Spin, for less than $5K (for comparison points: Main + 100% Jib + mizzen = 1,040 sq. feet).

This was four years ago.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:55   #6

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Buy a used sewing machine and make your own- that way you can patch and modify etc. sailright kits come pre cut with good ins. and all you will need. I have made about 10 all very good sails of dac., ripstop, and laminates for 20 footers to a J/44 since you do the finishing and reinforcement work you can go the extra mile and make a stronger sail than you get from Asian or many big name sail makers
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 02:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard Jeff. Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience.

Are you back from Italy, yet, and seriously looking for another boat?

I notice that you sold “Chama”, in 2007. When did your misadventure with Fareast (Lam) Sails occur (I saw nothing in your logs)?

When specifying measurements, did you use their on-line measurement form, or some other format ?
Sailmaker Main Measurement Form

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 13:10   #8

in the end i went with national sail supply in florida (i.e. rolly tasker, thailand). bought a working jib, storm jib and storm trysail. quality is very good.
Old 23-11-2008, 14:49   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We had Rolly Tasker of Thailand make a new mainsail for us, and the quality of workmanship was excellent. Other cruisers who sailed up the Red Sea with us where happy with their Rolly Tasker sails. The Red Sea is a good test of a sail,s ability to endure 700 miles of windward sailing.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 10:26   #10

Hello GordMay,

We still haven't made it to Italy but are hoping to get there next spring. Now that the exchange rate has improved it should be a little more affordable. We ended going to Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Chile last fall instead. I am looking for another boat but haven't seen anything yet that really caught my fancy. My problem happened in 2003. I was responding to Bob Sadler's request for people's experiences with Fareast Sails. I used the on-line measurement form.

Thanks for a great forum,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard Jeff. Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience.

Are you back from Italy, yet, and seriously looking for another boat?

I notice that you sold “Chama”, in 2007. When did your misadventure with Fareast (Lam) Sails occur (I saw nothing in your logs)?

When specifying measurements, did you use their on-line measurement form, or some other format ?
Sailmaker Main Measurement Form
svchama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 10:52   #11

I know this is older post, but i thought i would add just a note..I wanted to let you know how pleased we were with the main sail from Far East Sails. The quality and performance have been fantastic! Perfect fit, good cut and very precise stitching. The service and delivery they gave us is second to none, and we will always recommend them to those who ask. Cheers! Frank
Dreamer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15   #12

Boat: Roberts 482
I too bought sails from Fareastsails - My main and 135 are fantatastic - I was very pleased - have had the sails for 3 years - won a couple around the bouy races - I am ordering a set of storm sails this spring and maybe a gennaker - like I said - very happy. They are offering me sleeve that goes around the furled genoa for the storm jib - anyone have any experience with a storm sleeve??
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:56   #13

Re: Far East Sails

Hi Jack - I caught your previous post - I blew out our Ginny just west of Grenada - had to go back to Chaguaramas. I ordered a new Genoa from Far East Sails - got it delivered in 3 weeks, very happy with it. Nancy and I are going run to Roatan and stay there for awhile. I also need new main and fareast said they could deliver it there but Panama was better. I do have an old spare down below just in case - thanks for help with the motor.

Tim S\V Summer Wind
Tim.Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 16:53   #14

HI All. It would appear they have gone out of business.
I have ordered a sail and paid 50% 5/3/2016 deposit and have not heard anything for over 10 days.I carnt contact then by any emails addresses nor will they respond to new quotations. If any body else has any further info please let me know. PS they use to make a grate sail.
tom davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 00:53   #15

Boat: CT-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom davison View Post
HI All. It would appear they have gone out of business.

I have ordered a sail and paid 50% 5/3/2016 deposit and have not heard anything for over 10 days.I carnt contact then by any emails addresses nor will they respond to new quotations. If any body else has any further info please let me know. PS they use to make a grate sail.

Last week was the Qingming Festival, a traditional public holiday in China and Hong Kong. Therefore I suggest you might wait a few days ... Maybe they took a longer break ...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote