Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2017, 20:29   #31

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Far East Sails

We ordered a new staysail from them last month. It arrived on time, well built, and we had great communication through the entire process. Overall, very happy with the purchase.

Matt
Old 18-11-2017, 13:29   #32

Ditto for us.

We ordered new main and mizzen last June from Far East Sails. Could not be more pleased with level of professional communication, shipping, and quality of workmanship.

They always responded to my emails within a day or two.

If you are not getting a timely response, then something is probably broken in the communication channel.
jeffatds9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 07:57   #33

Hi! A quick update: new sail arrived last Tuesday. Yes really good communication until the last week in the process. We didn't get response to our last mails so we're simply wondering what was happening. Our sail was shipped via FedEx and it went back & forth between China take the US, then onward to... Japan, Peru, St Lucia before reaching Martinique! It looks like Far East Sails did a really good job, though we haven't tried our new spi...can't wait!!! So all is fine and happy to recommend FES
Damien
Tamm Ha Tamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 13:40   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It looks like Far East Sails did a really good job, though we haven't tried our new spi...can't wait!!! So all is fine and happy to recommend FES
Err... if you have not yet USED the sail, on what do you base your recommendation? Speed of delivery and price are not the important factors in sailmaking IMO.

Jim
Old 24-02-2018, 13:43   #35

Purchased an in mast roller furling main for our IP. Great email communication, substantially lower cost and on time delivery.
Mommasails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 08:31   #36

Boat: Alden schooner 43 feet, design 586

Yes, I recently bought a new gaff foresail and am not happy with it. The cloth is so stiff it is a challenge to furl it; the foot was cut with a roach and this sail was not meant to be loose footed. The first time we raised it the lower half billowed out and the upper was very flat. I could have gotten a sail from my local loft for only a bit more then the cost of the more expensive one they quoted.

I also order two sail covers. They obviously save money on the cloth but more important they did not follow my instructions (and a photo) to two 10 sets of 2 grommets 2 inches apart on one side of the cover and I would sew hooks on the other side. Unconventional but not unclear. When I pointed these things out they ignored my message completely.
guayacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 23:43   #37

Boat: Duncanson 43 foot

Purchased a Genoa (62 sqm/670 sqft) and Stay (24 sqm/250sqft) sail from FE Sails delivered in Oct 2015.

Cut and shape perfect, as were the measurements and communications.

Just over two seasons later (28 months to be exact), the UV strips are totally wasted. Contacted FE Sails and whilst they were sympathetic, did little (read nothing) to assist with problem.

Local sailmakers have since replaced UV strips at a cost of 1/3 of the original sails which effectively negated going to FE Sails in the first place. Needless to say the local sailmakers were scathing of the sails and material used. The UV strip FE Sails used was reportedly Sunbrella, but I could tear it apart between my fingers or using a pencil.

Sails have been used very lightly (less than 200 hours since new, but they do remain on the furlers all year round. Australia is challenged for UV but 2 seasons is very poor performance for what was described as a top grade product.

Can't recommend Far East Sails on the back of this experience.
Miss Saigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 11:51   #38

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Well... that is not good to hear about the UV strip. We noticed it doesn't match the other gray that we have (it is slightly darker) but hoped that it was a dye issue and not an inferior cloth. Now, it makes me wonder about the actual sail cloth used

Matt
Old 29-03-2018, 16:01   #39

Boat: Duncanson 43 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We ordered a new staysail from them last month. It arrived on time, well built, and we had great communication through the entire process. Overall, very happy with the purchase.

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Well... that is not good to hear about the UV strip. We noticed it doesn't match the other gray that we have (it is slightly darker) but hoped that it was a dye issue and not an inferior cloth. Now, it makes me wonder about the actual sail cloth used

Matt
As I mentioned the local sailmakers were scathing of the sail material, saying it was cheap material filled with resin that would break down prematurely. Time will tell.
Miss Saigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 16:37   #40
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Saigon View Post
Purchased a Genoa (62 sqm/670 sqft) and Stay (24 sqm/250sqft) sail from FE Sails delivered in Oct 2015...The UV strip FE Sails used was reportedly Sunbrella, but I could tear it apart between my fingers or using a pencil.
That was definitely not Sunbrella. The (polyester) stitching will wear out long before that fabric (I've started using Tenara now).

However, sewing a new UV strip is a good DIY project if one is inclined that way. It was my first job with my first Sailrite machine many years ago. Most of the time taken is in ripping off the old fabric.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:43   #41

Boat: Alden schooner 43 feet, design 586

I purchased Far East foresail and two sail covers - all at the same time. (yes, very foolish and hurried decision). The sailcloth is too stiff, the luff is too short, the lower section of the sail does not set well and I had to modify it. The instructions for the grommets on the covers were either not understood or ignored.
guayacan is offline   Reply With Quote