Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2015, 13:02   #1

Boat: IP 40
Experience with Winboat F-Rib 360

Howdy Folks,

I'm intrigued by the concept of a folding Rib. We're on an IP 40 and the only place on deck with enough space to store a RIB for offshore work is the foredeck and storing a boat there renders the staysail useless. We chose a cutter to allow for the flexibility of a staysail so are not crazy about this option.

We do have decent davits and they're great while they where great for Island hoping wouldn't really consider them for use on a passage. We're eventually planning to add an arch with higher davits but really just want them for convenience of daily storage and short hops.

What I like about the F-RIB (Foldable RIB) concept is that when it comes time to make that passage, the hull folds down pretty compact of the unpacking process. While I'm sure this isn't something we'd want to do on a regular basis, I really like the idea of being able to store the RIB on a smaller space when needed. We'll be relying on a liferaft when offshore so don't see a need to quickly deploy the dinghy until we get where we're going and then we'd keep it deployed until heading offshore again, so folding and unfolding would be rare.

We're currently using a crappy inflatable and know we don't want to go this route long-term though I'm sure it will get us by until we get closer to departure. Since this is still one of the ?'s we've yet to nail down I'm hoping there might be a few folks here with actual first hand experience they can share. I'm currently thinking the 360 but we're still a couple years away from buying a new dinghy, just like the concept so far.

__________________ (a work in progress)
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 23:28   #2

Re: Experience with Winboat F-Rib 360

Hi EB,

I'm an F-RIB owner myself (though it's called Winboat as it is marketed under this name in US). Mine looks much nicer than on the video tho it's a newer&smaller F275... Quite a good one.. It stows - and I mean it... saves heck of a lot deck space on long runs... very well-crafted boat... goes planning with 2 persons easily ('12 Mercury 9.9 HP 4 strokes)... F275 is very lightweight, I handle it all alone and with compressor it takes bout 5-10 minutes to deploy. Forget about standard pump tho...
They have a dealer in SF, CA - park presidio marine (not far from where i live) I had a closer look there and bought it later online Foldable rigid-hulled inflatable boats & sailboats |

Garry55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 00:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I almost went this route. Some friends here have something similar. For the right boat and situation they are handy.

Im not a lover of having things folded. Especially rubberised or plastic. Great idea, just I dont have the right boat or mind set to do this.

Great unit-goes like greased lightening.
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 22:31   #4

We just got an F-RIB 360 from a new dealer in the LA area in California - Four Seas. Very happy with the boat and the service from Four Seas - they delivered it to San Diego and even showed us hold to unfold, inflate, and refold it. For us, the F-FIB 360 will be folded and stored on deck for passages greatly reducing deck clutter. Quality is very nice!

More posts as we gain more experience.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 00:05   #5

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

looking at getting one next month myself.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote

enc, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: