Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2017, 09:08   #16

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Endoscope: A must have boaters tool

I have been looking into this also, but I was looking at the models transmitting by wifi bacause I have an iPhone, so no mini/micro USB for connexion.
And then I found out that the wifi works with an app on Android as far as could figure out.

Is there anybody with experience to connect to an iPhone with cable or WiFi?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 09:53   #17

Boat: islandpacket

I have several. One transmits with Bluetooth, I like that its not attached to the scope so I can hold my phone in one hand while holding the scope in the other, especially helpfull in odd positions. The water proof part is just the scope tube. The other is a combo Milwaukee one. Its. Ok but the built in screen is very low quality. What ever you get, make sure the resolution is hi quality.
Old 23-04-2017, 20:50   #18

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas the Day View Post
I tried to order one but Amazon indicated it couldn't ship to Oz so I've contacted the manufacturer to see if it can be done direct. Will let you all know.
The manufacturer has since come back to advise they won't ship to Oz either. Sounds like someone doesn't like parallel importation. I shall snoop further.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 22:30   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The manufacturer has since come back to advise they won't ship to Oz either. Sounds like someone doesn't like parallel importation. I shall snoop further.
When I run into this sort of BS, I use an American re-shipper called MyUS. Their basic service is free, and inclcudes providing you with a Florida address. You have the item shipped to this address and they re-pack if required, and send it on by whatever means you prefer. They have very good prices on courier services, eg for a radar we bought in the USA, the vendor wanted just under 500 dollars for Fedex shipping to Brisbane, and my US charged 240. Very useful service!

Jim
Old 23-04-2017, 23:25   #20

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
When I run into this sort of BS, I use an American re-shipper called MyUS. Their basic service is free, and inclcudes providing you with a Florida address. You have the item shipped to this address and they re-pack if required, and send it on by whatever means you prefer. They have very good prices on courier services, eg for a radar we bought in the USA, the vendor wanted just under 500 dollars for Fedex shipping to Brisbane, and my US charged 240. Very useful service!

Jim
Yes a very good point. I trust you are enjoying The Pittwater. I assume you've travelled further up the river to Cottage Point (great restaurant there). There are some lovely little bays to spend the time but usually crappy internet reception.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 00:03   #21

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Yes a very good point. I trust you are enjoying The Pittwater. I assume you've travelled further up the river to Cottage Point (great restaurant there). There are some lovely little bays to spend the time but usually crappy internet reception.
re internet reception

Check out the Telstra mobile wifi hotspot mobile broadband.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband...d/nighthawk-m1

I have replaced my home internet service with this as mobile broadband rather than go with NBB and will simply move it to my boat for cruising soon. You can bundle it with your mobile data if with Telstra.

Just need something like a Telstra Cel-fl Go smart signal repeater for increased mobile coverage.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/sit...stra-3g-4g-lte
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 02:33   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Oh for sure we've been up the Hawkksebury as far as the bridges will let us go!
And all the nice achorages up the creeks...

It's a pretty damn nice cruising area for being so close to the Sydney CBD, and if one isn't constrained by a work schedule, mid weeks it is nearly deserted. Lots of decent hiking trails, small creeks to explore by dinghy, and superbly protected anchorages for hiding out from frontal passages.

Folks here don't know how lucky they are!

Jim
Old 25-04-2017, 18:31   #23

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Got one for a present--useful bc we are in Alaska, and not divers (yet!) This model, the screen is not waterproof but the 48" rigid but shapable wand is waterproof. We used it to cursorily inspect the rudder and prop on our new to us (previous fall) boat.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, scope