Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 07:24   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Economical G4 LED

I recently purchased 12 G4 style LEDs model number LL-G4-5050W9R, warm white version, from www.LilyLEDs.com in Toronto Canada. The price was $7.50 $ca each and still is at the time of this post. Being the cheap SOB that I am I have been waiting a while to replace my G4 halogen bulbs with LEDs. Besides price I have been considering light output which until recently has been significantly lower than the halogens. These LEDs advertise 170 lumens which is slightly above the output of most 10 watt halogens. Indeed these LEDs are slightly brighter than the halogens and slightly whiter, but not the blue-white of some LEDs. My experience on power draw would seem to indicate that it is somewhat lower than advertised. I had all 12 LEDs on and drew only about 1 amp, which is approximately what I drew on one halogen. The operating coltage range for these units is 9-28 volts which should be broad enough to deal with the common voltage variations in a boat charging system. Many other inexpensive LEDs are limited to 14V which is below what my alternators or charger put out in bulk phase.

I checked for any RF interference in the VHF range and found none. Sorry, I don't have an SSB so I can't comment on that frequency range.

As for service I placed my order on Monday and it arrived on Friday with standard postal shipping. Before ordering I posted an inquiry on their web site regarding operating voltage range on a Saturday and had a response back Sunday morning. Quite satisfactory in my opinion.

Since the time period I've had this product has been short I cannot comment on how long they last but so far I'm very happy with the product and the company.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 07:33   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Economical G4 LED

The site's in Chinese!
Old 26-09-2011, 07:46   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The site's in Chinese!
leave it to me to write a review and screw up the web site. The correct site is LilyLEDs.com My apologies. I edited the original posting to correct it.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 08:00   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Thanks, a very informative site. and they're right in my backyard. Anyone know if the G4's will fit in the halogen lights on Beneteaus?
Old 26-09-2011, 08:40   #5
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Thanks, a very informative site. and they're right in my backyard. Anyone know if the G4's will fit in the halogen lights on Beneteaus?
Do not have an answer specific to Beneteau, but I bought a similar product and tried in in one of halogen fixtures in Bavaria. It fit. My guess is they will fit Beneteau too, as most of those halogen replacement led modules are of a very similar size. One thing to check is the orientation of pins (centered - vertical vs side - horizontal).

What is nice about this particular company is that they apparently use leds from a respectable manufacturer (at least in one product it is evident) so there is a chance they, unlike many other manufacturers, heard about such concepts as colour rendering and tint :-)

The design utilises a switching regulator though, so if you use SSB some interference may be present (or not).

Bottom line - I would buy one and test before committing to a bigger order.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 18:52   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin

We've just replaced all our old G4 10W halogen bulbs with these pure white G4 LEDs. Note that these are 9-30V regulated (1.5W), so unlike the cheapest 12V only ones, won't fail due to variations in voltage or charging spikes.
kevinle is offline   Reply With Quote