Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 08:06   #1

Downsizing sucks! In a good way.

Since I have a Honda 2000 generator on board to charge my electric propulsion battery bank I also use it for other things. Like powering a 2-1/2 gallon wet/dry vac on occasion. I recently came across a smaller one gallon Shop-Vac model and tried it:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: DOWNSIZING SUCKS!: Shop Vac MICRO vacuum
Works just as well as the larger vac and takes up a lot less room. I'm getting a 48 volt inverter this week too so I should be able to use it without always firing up the generator too which is also a good thing.
Old 25-08-2013, 08:40   #2

Boat: too many
Re: Downsizing sucks! In a good way.

Good idea Mike, since you have a 48 volt propulsion bank, might as well make it the house bank. For large inverter loads it is nice to reduce the DC amp draw to 1/4 of what it would be on 12 volts. I can see you using things like induction hot plates, coffee makers, microwaves, and all the other galley goodies.

When the current lead batteries are tired, then maybe LiFePO4 ?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Good idea Mike, since you have a 48 volt propulsion bank, might as well make it the house bank. For large inverter loads it is nice to reduce the DC amp draw to 1/4 of what it would be on 12 volts. I can see you using things like induction hot plates, coffee makers, microwaves, and all the other galley goodies.

When the current lead batteries are tired, then maybe LiFePO4 ?
Deckofficer:

I like having a separate 12 volt house bank for the freezer, radios, GPS etc... Don't like all the eggs in one basket but, that's just me. Though I can use the propulsion bank volt as the house bank anytime as I have 48 volt to 12 converter. I do use the propulsion bank for some things like running the laptop. The inverter will make it easier for me to use some appliances like the Micro Vac, hand blender etc.. without firing up the generator which most of the time at anchor is stored away. I did size the inverter to be able to run an induction burner as part of my rethinking propane use on board. Not sure when I'll try one. Bought the inverter mainly to charge the battery of the new electric outboard I bought for the dingy after my Honda BP2 spent four days on the bottom of the harbor after Sandy came through. I'm still keeping an eye on the LiFEPO4 technology. Still wary of the lead times for replacement, expense and battery management systems which for a 48 volt bank is a little involved. My batteries are still going strong after six years both the house (gels) and propulsion (agm) and don't require much attention from me.
Old 25-08-2013, 19:19   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

My wife and I bought the micro vac to help with our refit... its a perfect size.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote