Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 11:37   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
Do you have a SWI-TEC Mastlift????

I am interested in hearing feedback from anyone that has used this or similar product.

A demo of the product can be found here: SWI-TEC Mastlift 13m

Thanks!!!
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:30   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Do you have a SWI-TEC Mastlift????

How about a snatch block leading the halyard to a windlass? Already have that set up. I'm glad to see that the website suggested using a spare halyard for security
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:47   #3

Boat: Irwin 40

I used one once and really did not like it. They are heavy, take up a lot of storage and not all that easy to use. The time I went up was at dock on a Lagoon 38 with a bit of a chop in the harbor. By the time the hoist got to the top it was banging and swinging around quite a bit. The weight was hard to control from deck. I did not find it easy to pull myself up either and as I recall had to pull myself down. For what they want for those things you can set up a great rope climbing rig with ascenders and descenders. I have always found that a better way to climb and by far the safest. I never recommend using a windlass to pull somebody up, I know of a few cases where people have gotten hurt doing that.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
How about a snatch block leading the halyard to a windlass? Already have that set up. I'm glad to see that the website suggested using a spare halyard for security

My apeal to this product is the ability to go aloft without aid. the snatch block & windless would still require a 2nd party to operate the windlass and tie off.
Old 30-06-2013, 13:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
I used one once and really did not like it. They are heavy, take up a lot of storage and not all that easy to use. The time I went up was at dock on a Lagoon 38 with a bit of a chop in the harbor. By the time the hoist got to the top it was banging and swinging around quite a bit. The weight was hard to control from deck. I did not find it easy to pull myself up either and as I recall had to pull myself down. For what they want for those things you can set up a great rope climbing rig with ascenders and descenders. I have always found that a better way to climb and by far the safest. I never recommend using a windlass to pull somebody up, I know of a few cases where people have gotten hurt doing that.
Thank you so much. I was very concerned about pulling myself up and down. The site makes it look way too easy.

Also, thanks for the idea of the rope climbing ascenders and desenders. I had not thought about that. This is a path I will follow up on.

I agree. using any type of electic winch to go aloft is risky. There is a case were a man died on an Amel and the wife lost here arm.
Old 30-06-2013, 13:19   #6

Boat: Irwin 40

The thing I really like about the using both a ascender and descender is that I can repel back down. This saves a lot of energy and I believe is safer as well. At 56 yo I can still climb a 75' mast by myself and not be too sore the next day lol. I use a long doubled climbing rope and transfer my weight from one line to the other to come down. This way i am never unhooked for the transfer.

This video shows the rig in use

Here is a link to a article I wrote on the Amel story Project Boat Zen - Boat and Yacht Repair and Restoration
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote