Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2013, 14:19   #16

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
re: Dinghy Review

Just bought a new Zodiac, 8 ft. So far I like it. Put a big hole in my last AB dinghy. I did like thefront compartment in the AB dinghy, stored a lot stuff in it. The Zodiac came without, need to be more organized. I am in the Carribbean and have no problems with hypalon. I think I might get a dinghy cover for this one though.

Old 12-01-2013, 20:20   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I have had a Mercury Air Floor 310, and currently have an Avon 310 RIB lite.

The Mercury has very high quality, but way too flexible (even with the keel and floor pumped to 11psi). It simply felt like it would bounce me right out of the boat while on plane.

I like the Avon much better. The folding transom lets it sit as flat as a paddle board on the foredeck when deflated, and it only weighs 82lbs. I use a 9.8 Tohatsu and have clocked it at 23mph with a handheld GPS. With a hydro-wing on the engine it planes within 1.5 boat lengths.

If I was to look at yet another dingy (if mine was stolen) I would consider the aluminum floor models unpainted.

YMMV

Old 13-01-2013, 06:49   #18

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

A thought that I just had would be to always have a hard bottom dinghy. I have had to take the motor off many times and it is always convenient to set the engine in the dinghy after taking off before I put it on the boat or a dock. I know that I would punch a hole in the dinghy if it were a soft bottom.
Old 13-01-2013, 08:09   #19

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I am into my second dingy in 30 years. The first was an 8' Eli fiberglass dinghy that we towed on the back of our sailboat for about 5 years.

Later, we decided a more stable dinghy was better for our family so we moved to an Avon 10 RIB, hypalon of course. The old Avon is still in perfect condition after 25 years of use. Our first 8HP engine (Yamaha) went belly up 5 years ago which we replaced with an 8HP Mercury 2 cycle. The old Avon is outlasting the engines!

One of our friends 20 years ago purchased a PVC dinghy and in a few years... it failed so he purchased another PVC dinghy. I tried to convince him that spending a few more bucks up front would provide better long term service but he was looking for a cheap out. Well last season his second POS went the same way his first POS took. He finally replaced it with a Hypalon he purchased from Defender.

As others above mentioned, PVC is not going to stand up to the sun and we don't get the same amount of sun here in New England as folks in the southern states.
Old 13-01-2013, 08:13   #20

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
A thought that I just had would be to always have a hard bottom dinghy. I have had to take the motor off many times and it is always convenient to set the engine in the dinghy after taking off before I put it on the boat or a dock. I know that I would punch a hole in the dinghy if it were a soft bottom.

AMEN
Old 24-09-2014, 16:50   #21

I am looking at an Avon Redcrest...anyone know about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-09-2014, 17:23   #22

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Dinghy Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmohicas View Post
I am looking at an Avon Redcrest...anyone know about them?

They are a great boat. Store in a very compact space and the "real" hypalon fabric they are made out of lasts forever. Being a soft tail they tend to want to tuck they outboard underneath (no-one ever uses the hard flooring) and they row like a brick.

We had one for years and used it as the primary tender because it and it's outboard fitted in the boot of our small car. Sold it with the previous boat last year. Now, having said all that, now we have the bigger boat and can use a bigger dinghy, we look look back at that Avon now think how much it was like a pool toy. Even so, I have a really old one tucked away in the shed that I'll use down the track as a backup to the primary dinghy.

Oh yeah they are a very wet ride too!
Old 24-09-2014, 17:25   #23

Thanks Reefmagnet
Now I know why it is still available for sale!!

Old 24-09-2014, 17:31   #24

Boat: Mirage 32

I have a Walker Bay Geneses 310 hypalon rib with a 4 stroke Tohatsu 9.8. Very solid good performing dingy, maybe a wee bit heavy (130 lbs plus 85 for the motor). A good rough water boat, planes with 3 adults.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-09-2014, 17:34   #25

I have a line on an Achilles
Headed that way to look at now...any thing I should watch for/ look for?

Thanks so far for the info captain's!!!!

Old 09-12-2014, 14:34   #26

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've heard nothing but bad about WM dingys. Maybe their newer ones are better. No idea. Not heard great things about Mercury either though.
Purchased a WM 310 rib. Put my 10hp honda on the back and it almost sank! Transom sits way to low in the water. WM took it back and I purchase an Apex. Love it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: