Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-05-2016, 08:03   #1

Diesel Hydronic Heaters: Hurricane vs. Webasto

New 41 ft sailboat (Bavaria 2004) needs heat in Northwest. Hurricane made in BC recommended by friend. Webasto recommended by local dealer. Hurricane appears to be on/off vs. gradual steps for level in Webasto. Hurricane enclosed in steel box vs. Webasto open mount construction. Hurricane less noisy? Anyone with experience for non livaboard use of diesel heaters in 33 to 40,000BTU category?
Boaterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 16:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Diesel Hydronic Heaters: Hurricane vs. Webasto

I have an 83' boat with a house type boiler (50-90,000 btu depending on nozzle) and hydronic heat strips throughout the boat. I winter on the Columbia River near Astoria and sometimes further north. I have no experience with either Hurricane or Wabsco, but lots of time getting heat without getting a bank loan. I bought the boat in Nanaimo.
Marine equivalent car forced air heaters work the best for quickly heating the boat. They can be built into cabinets, closets, booths, etc. Baseboards, various radiator type take hours to make a dent in the cold. Car type on the other hand work quickly. From a cold boat to heating the main cabin (or any other limited area) takes about 30 minutes. Hydronic baseboard radiators took 3-4 hours to 60F. Heating 1/3 of the boat with hydronic baseboards used about 5 gallons of diesel/day in below freezing weather.
I also added a pellet stove, about 45,000 btu then I put a water coil inside that ties to the boiler. And my main engines also tie into the hydronic system. A side benefit, I can run warm water thru the diesels before starting in cold weather. If the pellet stove or engines are running I don't use the boiler except for storage and heat control.
A diesel stoves heats well and can make your hot water. I was a PNW fisherman.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 19:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Diesel Hydronic Heaters: Hurricane vs. Webasto

I installed the ITR hurricane zephyer. I like the fact that I can remove my hotwater tank and just use the ITR to heat domestic water on demand. The boat is heated with raditors that each have their own thermostat and 2 speed fans.
Paul L
Paul L is online now   Reply With Quote

diesel, hurricane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: