Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2007, 01:42   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms
I once had a West Marine employee hand me a brand new, $120 crimper off the shelf and say, "Bring it back when you are done." I have zero complaints. OK, one. I had to go to three different West Marine stores Saturday to find all the characters I needed to put my CF number on the bow of my workboat! Waaaaaaaa!
Ya should have gone back to the same guy that lent ya the crimper,and tell him "I'll bring the numbers back when I'm done!". Q,Does,fstbttms,stand for fast bottom's?.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 02:23   #17

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac
As we mainly deal with offshore crusiers using their CC, it makes me wonder if you lot are dodgy No not really, just more security and keeping the records straight for big brother would be my guess
Well a bunch of us are dodgy so you are on target there. New Zealand need any coders who like the occasional offshore sailboat race?

I agree that this is how the CC companies reduce fraud without increasing transaction costs. If I'm running between 10K and 25K transactions per month, and I'm small, what it must be like for the merchant banks. The guy who can come up with the code to validate several thousand misspelled billing addresses per second is going to make his paycheck for the week.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 07:54   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
Q,Does,fstbttms,stand for fast bottom's?
Yep, it do. It's the name of my hull diving business.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 10:25   #19

Boat: NONE yet
I tried to place an online order, but the transaction was not allowed because the "billing address does not match the credit cards billing address".

I work for an online software company, and we would have not allowed the order as well. Now for them to except the order and ship it after the order was declined on the internet is not good. With the amount of CC fraud out there online companies have to do alot more than before to combat fraud. I probably see between 20 and 30 fraudulent orders a day and those are the ones we catch.
Poor customer service seems to be the norm anymore, regardless of where you go.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 10:52   #20

Boat: NONE yet
And of course all the CC companies now all advertise, 0 fraud liablity, which ahs all the companies working extra hard to make sure that ther is less fraud.
A) because the CC holder never has to do anything other than call the bank and say this is fraud.
B) most of the time ther is no recourse that the company can take.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 20:07   #21

Boat: Newport 27-S MKII
Worst Marine?

I got a real laugh out of Dana and FSTBTTMS's comments and experience about West Marine employees bending over backwards to help somebody out....is it any wonder they've had that experience? ...from what I've read on this site and others, it seems like a majority of their employees are LiveAboard's that are just working there for the employee discounts ! So what do they care if they take a piece out of a box, or loan a tool, to help and satisfy a customer? It's great that these people are right down the street, and you know them, they know you, etc.
(and I would hope the company is smart enough to look the other way about this sort of thing, because "Customer Service" is just another way to say "Politics," which is just another way to say "Keep your customers happy and they won't burn you at the stake of Public Opinion When you Over-Charge Them !!) ......and Thanks for mentioning Defender everybody....the first thing I've learned from joining this site tonight....I'll check them out!

Stenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 21:50   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenn
I got a real laugh out of Dana and FSTBTTMS's comments and experience about West Marine employees bending over backwards to help somebody out....is it any wonder they've had that experience?
Yeah, imagine the nerve of a big boating supply company hiring knowledgeable sailors and providing good customer service...
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote