Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2009, 11:48   #16

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Yeah, Defender is great. 'Nuff said.
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 13:22   #17

Use them all the time. Never had a problem
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 14:21   #18

Boat: Lagoon 420 Seas the Day
We've purchased many things from Defender, but when it's been more convenient, i.e. we aren't somewhere long enough to have an address to ship to, West Marine will match defender.com prices.
Jan
Old 09-09-2009, 06:44   #19

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Thumbs up

Not only is Defender the best place to get many of the things we need on a boat, their customer service is the best as well.
And if they do not have something, they will try to get it for you, and a great cost. Stars in my book.

Also a shout out to Jamestown distributors. Also top notch. Doesn't have the prices that defender has usually but can get them on a good sale...
They carry things that others don't. Like tools, fasteners ect.

Both of these companies are on my first to go list when I need something.

Lastly is Peter Kennedy Yacht service. Peter Kennedy Yacht Services - Marine Electrical Systems

Peter has the best prices on blue sea systems, victron energy and pretty much all things electric. Again first class.

bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan B View Post
We've purchased many things from Defender, but when it's been more convenient, i.e. we aren't somewhere long enough to have an address to ship to, West Marine will match defender.com prices.
Jan

ah no they do not. At least not here in Corpus Christi. Yeah they will match the catalog price but then add tax and of course they want to add what it will cost for shipping as well. So in the end you will pay more, and have to go thru the hassle of haggling with them over the price. When I can just go online and get it, and its at my door is a few days. No tax, No shipping charges in many cases.

Not the same.
But if I am in a hurry ... I guess I would go there. But why should have to.
Look at a item like interlux bilgekote at both west marine and at defender.
Very big difference in pricing. Now I understand west has a store to pay for, many in fact, tax ect, and defender can do it for less out of central location.
But that really doesn't matter to me much. When I spend my money I want the best deal I can get. Thats why compusa and boats world stores went out of business here recently as did circuit city. They cannot compete on the internet with stores like defender. Its a shame I guess, but times change and either roll with it or get buried. Like the buggy whip makers of the late 1800's. Or the typewriter companies of the 70's and 80's.
Or America now, in this flattening of the world. Either get real, get busy and change, or fall behind and lose.

Defender saw this and changed to it. I am sure there were people that told them it was a bad move. Like amazon.com. Remember all the talk that they would fail, that they were spending to much money and losing billions?
Look who's laughing now.
Bob
Old 09-09-2009, 18:02   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Why don't we tell Defender about this thread and maybe we can sell it to them for advertising You guys are all the same- I use Fisheries Supply up in Seattle (with nose turned up) So there!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Why don't we tell Defender about this thread and maybe we can sell it to them for advertising You guys are all the same- I use Fisheries Supply up in Seattle (with nose turned up) So there!
Well if you want to pay the extra pricing they charge... feel free. As I used to live in Seattle, I understand why their pricing is what it is.
But they do have some good products.
Old 10-09-2009, 13:38   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually Bob, if you ship out of the state and use their online system ( like Defender) they are pretty cheap. Sometimes cheaper than defender! I guess it just pays to Shop Around. Heck, I have even gotten things from WM cheaper than defender, but not often.
Old 10-09-2009, 13:50   #24

Whenever I need something, I search online for the best price. Rarely have I ever seen fisheries have a better price than defender.
For instance, right now, I am in the market for many items, but lets say a magma catalina grill.
Fisheries price 358.78
defender price 355.99

I agree not much difference, but still lower.
Then I look online further and SEE!!!
this at 269.95 !! Now thats a discount. This is for a over $400 dollar grill...

Magma Catalina Barbeque Grill - Marine BBQ

Then theres the water heater isotherm basic 50
fish price 889 and its backorder.
defender 779 and its in stock...

Boeshield T-9 is less though at fisheries. 14.39 vs 17.99
but on the higher priced items I am currently looking for... defender has them beat.
And defender packs well... although not as well as jamestown distributors who are the best when it comes to packing...
Old 10-09-2009, 14:05   #25

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Also a shout out to Jamestown distributors. Also top notch. Doesn't have the prices that defender has usually but can get them on a good sale...
They carry things that others don't. Like tools, fasteners ect.
Hey, want a good deal at Jamestown Dist.? You can join their "VIP club" for $29.99...FREE GROUND SHIPPING FOR A YEAR!!! If you are in the midst of a refit, you'll save a ton! Jamestown ships same day 99% of the time, and it's tax free out of state (RI)...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...IP+Buyers+Club

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 14:58   #26

LOL... Christian already have it. Its nice to know that you won't have to pay for shipping, which means you can order today something and then again tomorrow if something comes up.
But large items like 4x8 sheets of plywood or soundown panels are more I believe.
Old 10-09-2009, 15:58   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I just love Defender. Every time I order something with a lid, it's taped up well so it won't spill. Maybe too well? Can't be. Yes, our local WM will match their prices, including shipping. But they rarely have it in stock, so I have to go to the store TWICE. Why bother when I can save the tax and have it delivered to my doorstep?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 21:53   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bob a lot of my stuff I got wholesale through fisheries... but that is another story. And I do order from Defender, just not as often as the rest of the world it seems. Nice to know about Jamestown Dist. Just listening here I can still save $$.
Old 20-09-2009, 01:51   #29

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
i had trouble getting authorisation for a foreign credit card on their website check-out, contacted them and all was solved. i now simply send my order in by email to the lady who sorted out the cc issue and it gets taken care of.

i was also impressed when i put in an order and they said they'd process it the following week as by then their boat show sale would be in full swing and i could save some money
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 20:59   #30

Boat: Privilege 39
I've ordered a ton of stuff from Defender and found them to be great and fast. I once was missing a part in something I ordered, I figured it was the manufacturer (not Defender) at fault, but emailed both. Within a couple of hours I got a callback from Defender who had already worked everything out with the manufacturer, so all I had to do was call the manufacturer directly (Defender gave me specific contact name and number) to get the missing parts shipped out. Had I called the manufacturer directly, I potentially would have had to go through explanation and justifaction. It wasn't Defender's problem, but instead of just saying "not our problem", they actually went out of their way to help me solve it. How often does that happen these days?!?
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote