Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2007, 13:24   #31

Boat: now floating easy37
as for the bedding compound ge do a black roofing and gutter silicone called silpruf which has an open time of half an hour and sticks like the proverbial to a blanket
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 15:11   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I tend to agree that hatches with 4 dogs tend to be much less prone to leaks. For two dog hatches, all it takes is for the height of the hinges to be off a little, for the seals to have compressed down a little or for the hinges to have worn a little for there to be a leak. I have never noticed any two dog ports or hatches on any commercial boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Since I first posted in this thread (and as a result of some of the feedback herein), I have moved away from the Lewmat hatches in favour of the Maxwell/Weaver offshore hatches:

Boat hatches, portlights and accessories for marine vessels superyachts Maxwell Marine

I like the look of them: 4 locking dogs, not 2. Also the hinge system looks really robust. Anyone have any exerience with them?

Incidentally, the hatches I am replacing are Plastimo, and have done pretty well for the last twenty-something years.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 15:24   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have an aluminum oceanographic winch made by Markey that they powder coated. Much of the paint blistered up within the first year. Don't bother powder coating aluminum and feel fortunate if you can get any paint, including properly applied Awlgrip to stick to aluminum for any great length of time. If rust never sleeps then aluminum oxide is its hyperactive relative.

My philosophy with painting aluminum is if you absolutely don't have to paint it then leave it bare. Aluminum oxide is a wonderful protectant so long as it is not constantly moist..setting it up for electrolysis.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 09:53   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Henderson View Post
Can anyone suggest the best way to remove a Lexan hatch lense from its frame, and what bedding compound to use when replacing it?
Use an "exacto-knife" with a sharp razor blade very, very VERY carefully around the edges of the frame. Slowly go around making several passes before attempting to push the lens through from the inside. Then, throw out the Lexan and get a nice piece of cast acrylic. There are no bedding compounds for Lexan that will actually give you the results that you are looking for.