Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2008, 13:54   #1

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Crappy new gas cans...

Even in my Jeeping days I always just used cheapo red plastic jugs for fuel. They were a pain but they worked. The biggest problems I had were a little yellow air valve that didn't like to pop closed and one nozzle that always wanted to cross thread. It has been YEARS since I bought gas cans.

I was at Walmart before I brought the boat down from Pittsburg and it appears all the jugs now have this new design with a flow/stop lever and no seperate valve. I was disappointed because there is this large structure that sticks off the cans and I thougth this would make storage a pain (it does) but they were only 10 bucks so I bought them.

What I've discovered is that if the can is say- a couple inches too far to each on the deck- and it has fuel in it- if you try to drag it over by the nozzle structure it snaps off this thin piece of plastic and they no longer seal or pour. This is far too fragile for any field application.

Any suggestions?
Old 13-09-2008, 14:08   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Unfortunately someone decided this was the latest and greatest and that is all we can buy. We have cut the ends off of the nozzle and drilled a hole in the handle and put in a screw and rubber washer to make a vent and then seal it when not needed. So we have converted them into the old style.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 17:40   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

ZBQ-1410 - NATO Fuel Can Steel Army Green 18x13x6.5" Used Condition

Standard NATO military issue jerry can, five gallons, all metal, securely sealed.

You probably won't get them at WallyWorld.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 17:44   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Not great for saltwater environments.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 17:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Its pretty obvious these new gas cans are not field tested. Perhaps field testing should be written into these mandated pollution laws? Let boaters field test these things.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 18:30   #6

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I did the same fix as Chuck drilled a hole in the top opposite the spout, put in a rubber washer roofing screw. The hole is loose enough that the screw can be removed by hand to vent the can when pouring. works great, just like cans sold in the "Old Days".
This is not an OSHA approved fix, use at your own risk!
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 18:31   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Its pretty obvious these new gas cans are not field tested. Perhaps field testing should be written into these mandated pollution laws? Let boaters field test these things.

Not sure if it has anything to do with environmental statutes or regs but more the fault of some marketing type who obviously never used the product much outside his office
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 07:40   #8

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
I thought I've seen regular cans at Fisheries in Seattle. It's hard to tell from the pictures online. Some look like they have the vent in the back.

Fisheries Supply

According to something I found at Scepter, it looks like it varies by state as to who has to use the new cans.

CARB Protable Fuel Container & Spout Regulation

So it looks like they still make regular tanks, but whether you can buy them locally or legally use them in your state is the question.

Scepter Consumer - Regular Fuel Containers

Also looks like on the Scepter line you can at least store the can with the CARB spout inside the can instead of being stuck with it outside sticking out all the time, if you're stuck with using the no spill can.

John, still luckily in a state that allows regular cans and hasn't experienced your pain.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 19:11   #9

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
I don't have a strong opinion yet on the flow of the new valves but:

Walmart did not complain about my returning the used and broken gas can. So that was nice- +$8.50 for me!

Walmart also sells replacement tops that do not stick out- same concept as the old ones but the nozzle thing has whatever valve system they require now- but in terms of storage and stuff it looks like it will be fine.

I also found that both Target and Home Depot sell the basic same can but with the "aftermarket nozzle" already on them.