Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2008, 02:37   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Wotname No the succes story,s also come from warm water area,s
It is important to put on 5 layers and after that sand it down , first with 320 to get an even surface and after that polish it with 1200.
We have 3 powercats in the Seychelles , 2 are done with Micron 55 and the third with Coppercoat , after 3 months in the mooring the only one that got up to speed was the the one with coppercoat.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 03:57   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Thanks for the sanding tip fastcat, the Seychelles are warm as you note.
Are you wet sanding or dry sanding?
I forgot to post that directions also mention sanding although they only go to 600. Obviously smooth the better.
And yes, I did put on 5 coats but won't sand until relaunching - maybe this year!!!!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 04:12   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks for the sanding tip fastcat, the Seychelles are warm as you note.
Are you wet sanding or dry sanding?
I forgot to post that directions also mention sanding although they only go to 600. Obviously smooth the better.
And yes, I did put on 5 coats but won't sand until relaunching - maybe this year!!!!
Wet sanding is better and smoother and when you get to the polishing part use seawater for the sanding , the advantage is that the oxidation starts sooner and thus the antifouling will work even better.
Old 20-02-2008, 08:31   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
To be honest I don't think it will work to well but thought nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Why in God's name would you apply an expensive anti fouling that you thought would not work well?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 00:26   #35

Fair question, I would like to give you a considered response however time is a rather tight right now so I will post more detail in the next day or so.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-03-2008, 00:38   #36

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Why in God's name would you apply an expensive anti fouling that you thought would not work well?
Finally found some time....

Two aspects to this question - Does the product work and Is it applicable for my situation.

So does Coppercoat work? There always seem to be a lot of debate about this.
Pro - Aquaris marine have been selling it for well over 10 years and are still in business. Hard to stay in business if product does work. Some users must have found it effective. The chemistry is sound (but only the Aquaris marine product - not all copper loaded epoxies are the same). Local paint reps rubbish it so are they biased?
Con - If it was so good, every one would be using it. Expensive and not easy to apply over existing paint systems. Many reports of it not working.
Other bottom paints have not lived up to the manufacturers claims so why should this one.
My conclusion: I don't know if it works and will never know unless I try it.

Is it applicable for my situation?
Plywood hull had been taken back to bare wood after a couple of years of drying out in high temp. low humidity climate. Glassed below waterline with epoxy resin, boat in the open. Hull (epoxy) needed protection from UV as would be out of the water for at least another year. Ideal surface on which to apply coppercoat which blocks UV and is UV stable (due to high cooper load. Additional cost is small compared to total cost of refitting. Might even work as an antifouling. Nothing lost if it doesn't work expect some money and time to recoat with a convential bottom paint
My conclusion: Yes it is applicable for my situation.

I realized later that I could have achieved the same UV protection with something like Interprotect - another lesson learned but still would have had to decide on a bottom coat sometime.

Thats why!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:11   #37

Boat: Cape George 38 ext, Curious George
Copperpoxy

Hi all,
I'm new to this site and find it very informative. I am in the process of building a Cape George 38. I bought the boat after it was half way completed in Port Townsend, WA. During the hull layup Copperpoxy was applied first to the mold, and after removing from the mold the owner asked for more so a subsequent layer was applied. I think it was sprayed and the results are a thick, very course surface. I've done some research on this product and have found little positive until reading this thread. I was resigned to the idea of sanding it smooth and applying a anti fouling paint. Having read some stories of success I may reconsider and give it a shot. The boat will live in the Pacific Northwest, US.
Any advice on sanding this product? I have a Festool 6" RO sander with vacuum, but not looking forward to this assignment. The boat next to mine at the builders shop had the same product sprayed in the mold but no subsequent layers and it looked like glossy copper gel coat.

Thanks, Bill
bhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:48   #38

Bill, If you are sanding it to remove it or smooth it down, then just proceed as you would if sanding epoxy (or polyester) resin; however if sanding to activate the surface copper before launching, the usual advice is to wet sand with 600 or 800 grit.

As to recoating it, why do it before trying it out, it might work and at least you will know. If it doesn't, then you will have to recoat but apart from another slipping, you haven't lost anything.
Old 29-07-2008, 03:28   #39

Boat: warwick 44
boating nz (august 2008) has a write up on copper coatings
boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:47   #40

Boat: Valiant 50
Hi Boris,

Your wrote : " boating nz (august 2008) has a write up on copper coatings"

And?.....

I too am interested in Copper Coat's performance in warm waters and whether it will last 10 years with monthly bottom scrubs (I'd be happy with 5!).

Other than those who market it, there does not seem to be much feedback. Surely there must be more than half a dozen boats out there using it. Or is everyone like me, holding back until its proved itself to be a risk free undertaking. Such is the modern world that we all begin with the assumption that any marketing and advertising claims are but blatant lies and nothing more.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:37   #41
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Hi Boris,

Your wrote : " boating nz (august 2008) has a write up on copper coatings"

And?.....

I too am interested in Copper Coat's performance in warm waters and whether it will last 10 years with monthly bottom scrubs (I'd be happy with 5!).

Other than those who market it, there does not seem to be much feedback. Surely there must be more than half a dozen boats out there using it. Or is everyone like me, holding back until its proved itself to be a risk free undertaking. Such is the modern world that we all begin with the assumption that any marketing and advertising claims are but blatant lies and nothing more.
Hallo Neelie

If you put 5 layers on you will get up to 15 years of use out of it.
We do not only sell it but we use it as the standard anti fouling on our cats , that is how I first found out about it and later decided to start selling it since we carried stock anyway.
If and when you ally it make sure that after you have finished the application , wait 48 hours until it is really hard. then sand it down with sanding paper 320 and when finished polish it with 1200 until it shines like a mirror ( or almost. )
If you are interested let me know so I can send you the application manual that is different from the factory,s manual.
We apply the Coppercoat to 20 boats a year and have a lot of experience with it now.

Greetings and good luck

Gideon
Old 07-08-2008, 07:56   #42
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Or is everyone like me, holding back until its proved itself to be a risk free undertaking. Such is the modern world that we all begin with the assumption that any marketing and advertising claims are but blatant lies and nothing more.
This product has been on the market for over 15 years. If it worked as well as advertised, you would have no trouble finding proponents to sing its praises, IMHO. Here on the West Coast, boats with copper-loaded epoxies such as Copper Coat are rarely seen any more. Can you guess why?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:17   #43

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
Talking

hi, yes i have had it it on my boat for 10 years and it is brilliant ! it started to lose its effectiveness after 8 years so i re-applied copper powder and mixed it with resin. and am looking forward to the next 8 years NOT antifouling my boat , does anyone really enjoy this ? google epoxy products .com in the usa and order from them direct . the cost was less than using anti foul . for a 38 ft cat . i5s a no- brainer !
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife View Post
Has anyone here used coppercoat antifouling and does it really work as well as they say??? Its produced by aquarius marine coatings limited
pieter
Aquarius Marine Coatings Limited
Aquarius Marine Coatings Limited
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 21:04   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gideon-
Would you give him, or anyone, a written warranty offering to transport, haul, and re-apply the boating coating FOR FREE as many times as necessary, if it failed to provide a full 15 years of protection?
I haven't seen any copper bottom coater that would.

I've had experience with one of the products, in one location. Worked great the first year, wintering in the mud and having a diver on the hull every two weeks. And despite a recoating during layup ("we shouldn't need it but why not, we still have paint" it was useless in the next warmer season, without that constant diver cleaning it.

The reports on the different products, from different users in different waters, indicate that it is just like every other bottom paint: It works, sometimes, in some places, for some users, and not even the makers can or will guarantee it up front for anyone. There are no glowing internet threads from dozens of users giving nothing but praise for the product. Surely, after all these years, there should be one such thread, somewhere, if there were so many satisfied users? Or there would be makers/appliers offering ironclad guarantees?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 23:37   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Gideon-
Would you give him, or anyone, a written warranty offering to transport, haul, and re-apply the boating coating FOR FREE as many times as necessary, if it failed to provide a full 15 years of protection?
I haven't seen any copper bottom coater that would.

I've had experience with one of the products, in one location. Worked great the first year, wintering in the mud and having a diver on the hull every two weeks. And despite a recoating during layup ("we shouldn't need it but why not, we still have paint" it was useless in the next warmer season, without that constant diver cleaning it.

The reports on the different products, from different users in different waters, indicate that it is just like every other bottom paint: It works, sometimes, in some places, for some users, and not even the makers can or will guarantee it up front for anyone. There are no glowing internet threads from dozens of users giving nothing but praise for the product. Surely, after all these years, there should be one such thread, somewhere, if there were so many satisfied users? Or there would be makers/appliers offering ironclad guarantees?
We give a 5 year warranty onn the boats we produce and on the anti fouling ( Coppercoat )applied and that includes a warranty on reapplication. We are however not the producer of the Coppercoat so we do not warranty the products , Coppercoat does however warranties the product for 10 years is applied according to their manual .
Greetings

Tags
anti-fouling