Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 06:36   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Cooper coat. Yes or No?

Our new boat is being launched next month and I've got to choose what to paint the bottom with. In my experience antifoul lasts a year with regular in water cleaning and all the guys I know in the marina industry swear by copper coat and say it lasts for years. However, there only seems to be negative comments online about how it doesn't work unless it's regularly sanded back and re-activated.

I know what to expect from antifoul so I'm tempted to stick with what I know but I've been offered a good price on the cooper coat.

Prices:
Antifoul = €2,500
Copper coat = €4,000

I need to make my choice in the next week and it's for a new 45' cat and we plan to be in tropical waters and moving regularly.

Thanks for your opinions and advice.
Old 19-05-2017, 06:45   #2

Re: Cooper coat. Yes or No?

Before anyone does a lengthy reply I've just seen a 9 page thread on this subject. Sorry. The search tool doesn't seem to work so well on iPhone
Old 20-05-2017, 04:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-56701.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...int-73701.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ling-8458.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-176667.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-129224.html

And more ➥ https://cse.google.com/cse?siteurl=w...oat&gsc.page=1

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 05:24   #4

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Before anyone does a lengthy reply I've just seen a 9 page thread on this subject. Sorry. The search tool doesn't seem to work so well on iPhone
Now that you have done the research, what are the findings?

I'm pretty new and have dozens of subjects to research. Power washed my hull yesterday and have to do a pretty thorough refinish. Have over a dozen nickel sized blisters....
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 07:06   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I had crystic copper clad put on the bottom of my boat when it was in the factory in France, and I was not impressed that it did very much in the way of antifouling. I was supposed to rough it up periodically when cleaning the bottom. So I did not feel it did not do very much for me since I still had to clean the bottom. I would not spend the money on it again.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 08:20   #6

Boat: Hunter Legend 356 35' 6"

We are moored in a very high fouling area of the East coast of the UK. On our previous boat I used Micron Extra 2......it fouled terribly, and International sent me a free 5L tin which I later applied. It was not much better.
I now have a different boat (Hunter 356) to which I applied Coppercoat. Sod of a job to do on an old boat, as all the previous antifoul had to be scraped off, hull sanded, and Coppercoat applied. We launched our new boat in the peak of the fouling season for skeleton shrimp.....the C/C had not "ripened" (gone green, its the copper oxide that does the work) so the fouling was horrendous. Scrubbed off, and the rest of the season was not too bad, but not much better than quality antifoul. After I have scrubbed off I just lightly go over the hull with a scotchbrite pad, you don't want to remove the Copper oxide, it's that that does the work.
Bear in mind, that you will have to scrub off just as much, but the only bonus is that you don't have to reapply antifoul.....if you are keeping the boat long enough it's a good investment.
IMHO.
Neil
Old 20-05-2017, 10:20   #7

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

quick reply - yes. I paid to have my boat copper coated for the second time 5 years ago. The first time was 12 years before that.... You do need to VERY lightly abrade it each season to expose new copper nickel granules AND i did find that after 8 years or so there were some small bare patches (say less than a quarter of a square foot each) which needed dabbing with normal antifoul paint - a few more each year then so I eventually had the whole hull redone. Overall I remain very pleased with the product in the Mediterranean and the English Channel.

Make sure you put on two coats and BE AWARE that if you have a cast iron keel (I guess not if you are a catamaran) you WILL need to paint the keel with a very effective inert barrier coating first before applying the coppercoat to the metal keel.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:45   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Be glad you don't have the EPA. Ships of yore were copper clad. As long as you vessel isn't metal, you don't want a floating battery and electrolysis.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 00:30   #9

Boat: Island Packet 420

I decided to paint the bottom of my boat with Copper Coat this season. I have spoken with people here with experience in the proper application- it is imperative that 4 coats be put on very quickly,within 24 hours, wait a few days for it to completely dry, then apply another 4 coats quickly and let that dry for a few days, then launch I suspect the problems people have may be due to improper application. I have been told to expect to have to have the boat on the hard for about 10 days to properly do the job.

I have been told that I will occasionally have to dive on the boat and go over the hull with a scotch pad. My decision was made because the cost of a haul out here in the Med and paint job is close to 2,000 Euros and i can do the Copper Coat including haul out for about 4,000 Euros, thus the payback is pretty quick. Even if I have a diver dive the boat once a year, it will save me a bundle of money over the long haul.

A few tips I have picked up----- you must make sure it won't rain on the boat while the paint is drying. I have been told to tape a "lip" around the waterline, so that even dew won't drip onto the hull while it is drying. The boat will have to be lifted and moved on the stands to make sure I can get all surfaces properly treated.

And yes, as people here have stated, it is necessary to occasionally abrade the bottom to activate it, which can be done easily in the water.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 01:15   #10

It's really good of people to reply with their experience (even after I said don't reply) which is a testament to how helpful this forum is for boaters.

I've read,read and read some more and spoken to friends in the marina industry but it does seem to be a heated debate. It's not quite competition for cat 'v' mono or plough 'v' danforth but there's no doubt there are people who swear by each method and I guess that once you're committed all you can do is try and make it work.

I'm going to go for Copper Coat.

My reasons:
I expect I'll keep the boat for 5 years so financially it works

I trust the yard that is applying it

It's being applied 'inside'

€4000 is a good deal

After we have been cruising, the Middle East is most likely to be where we end up and anything is worth trying as antifoul there is possibly harder than any other region

It's a new boat so no cost involved in removing any existing paint

I've got a million other decisions to make so make this one and move on. Good or bad.
Old 25-05-2017, 23:37   #11

Further to my last message:
We are moored in a high fouling area, I scrubbed off about 6 weeks ago, and have just found we are very badly fouled again. I am in negotiation with Coppercoat now......will let you know how I get on.
Neil
Old 26-05-2017, 02:40   #12

I have booked in to a scrubbing area next Wednesday for an approved coppercoat outfit to look at and advise me on what they think is wrong. Having just spoken with Coppercoat they advise me that rather than scrubbing off with a soft broom and lightly abrading with scotchbrite pad I should be pressure washing the hull to get any "roots" of fouling out, then scotchbrite.....I will keep you posted.
Neil
Old 26-05-2017, 12:41   #13

Please do keep us updated. I'm committed now to the CC so I hope you get to the bottom of your issue.

It seems everyone adopts a slightly different method of maintenance for their hulls. I'm happy getting in the water twice a month with a scraper which is a must in Dubai if you want to keep on top of it regardless of what paint you choose.
Old 27-05-2017, 20:06   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeantot, Privilege Catamaran, 48 feet - Dawn Treader
Send a message via Skype™ to dawn treader

The chemical composition and temperature of the water, makes dependeble
what you must use and how to apply.
dawn treader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 22:55   #15

Cooper coat. Yes or No?

I don't wish to get off topic, or hijack a thread, but I do have an observation for discussion.

Copper cladding, cupronickel in particular, has been found to be an effective antifouling IF (and it is a big if) it is isolated from protective anodes. In the presence of anodes, the antifouling property of copper appears to be neutralized. In the age of sail, copper cladding wooden warships was the golden standard. It was even better when they figured out that iron rivets etc. were a poor choice due to galvanic corrosion (although it seems the iron fittings didn't provide enough anodic protection to hinder the antifouling properties of copper). Things worked much better when they switched to bronze fittings for the cladding.

Thus, sacrificial zincs, even aluminum propellers, can inhibit the antifouling properties of copper. Copper coat is designed to replicate the effects of cladding in a lighter, more paintable fashion (correct me if I'm wrong). Without the ablative properties of other copper-based antifouling treatments, which would slough off the initial biofilm stage of fouling, it stands to reason that anodic protection is what hinders Coppercoat from being an improved solution to the fouling issue.

If anyone wants the references for my hypothesis, I can post later when not so sleepy...

Thoughts?

Fair Winds!
Markusik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper