Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 26-07-2008, 07:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Would a coat of lanolin stop the corrosion? Those composite tanks seem ideal for cruisers but the rust thing has me a bit worried.
we have been using the Ragasco composite gas tanks from Norway and these are equipped with bronze fittings , we have used them since 4 years and they work great and our customers are happy www.ragasco.com Technical specifications

They are being produced in 4 sizes and can be equipped with the fitting of your choice
Greetings
gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 10:03   #17

Boat: Dufour Arpege 30
I wrote the company and asked about a bronze fitting. It's been three days and haven't heard back. I'll keep you posted.
Zephyr's Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 15:36   #18

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
Lite Cylinders

"we have been using the Ragasco composite gas tanks from Norway and these are equipped with bronze fittings"

The Ragasco fitting according to the tech specs at the Ragasco web site is a brass fitting, it is my understanding that bronze is not approved for propane. I have contacted Lite Cylinders and they answer right away, I needed the Lite 10 lb cylinders due to size constraints I only have 10" clear inside my propane locker. I'll coat them with spray lanolin anyway.

The Ragasco 20lb cylinders while a great price at around $ 34.00 right now, are 12" diameter, in fact all sizes of their cylinders are 12" diameter. I just bought three of the 9 3/4" diameter Lite cylinders, best price I could find was roughly $ 85.00 with free shipping and no sales tax.
West Coast Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 16:43   #19
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Thanks for the heads up folks. I just went out and looked at mine and sure enough under the plastic trim ring is galvanized fitting. The plastic trim ring is now packed with lanacote. Worked kind of nicely. Packed it in, pushed the trim ring down and turned it untill it oozed out all the way around. Will check periodically. Wonder if they are going to be facing a bunch of lawsuits or recall when they start failing. They have a tag saying inspection interval is 15yrs.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 17:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Thanks for the heads up folks. I just went out and looked at mine and sure enough under the plastic trim ring is galvanized fitting. The plastic trim ring is now packed with lanacote. Worked kind of nicely. Packed it in, pushed the trim ring down and turned it untill it oozed out all the way around. Will check periodically. Wonder if they are going to be facing a bunch of lawsuits or recall when they start failing. They have a tag saying inspection interval is 15yrs.
forsail - which tanks do you have currently, Lite claims theirs are ok for marine use / salt environment - I asked very specifically and received a conformation from their vice president of sales and marketing.....
Old 12-08-2008, 19:08   #21

Thumbs down Tank problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Cat View Post
forsail - which tanks do you have currently, Lite claims theirs are ok for marine use / salt environment - I asked very specifically and received a conformation from their vice president of sales and marketing.....
Yes and when I E-Mailed them about the problems I'm having with mine I got no response.
Old 13-08-2008, 07:53   #22

Zephyr's Aura the women I have been in contact with multiple times is:

Shelley Moeller
Vice President of Sales & Marketing
139 Southeast Parkway Ct.
Franklin, TN 37064
Office: (615)595-7988
Fax: (615)599-3190
Alternate office: (615)794-3641
Web: litecylinder.com
E-mail: smoeller@litecylinder.com

She is very responsive, please keep us up to date on your communications
Old 13-08-2008, 09:24   #23

Wow it's amazing what happens when you talk to the right people. Light cylinder is sending me a replacement with a stainless steel fitting.

thanks West Coast Cat!

Tim
Old 21-08-2008, 05:23   #24

Ragasco Vs Lite

Hello folks I would like a moment of your time. I am a Sales-manager for a company located in Florida call the xxx we have been selected to be the US Primary Distributor of Ragasco Composite Tanks. I have been viewing all the post about the Ragasco and Lite cylinders. Most of you seem to be very positive about this technology. Up until just 6 months ago we were a Lite Cylinder carrier. Our CEO is very adamant about offering the best and safest product available. He is a very techie type. He is a pilot, captain, and damn good business man. He made a 100% commitment to Ragasco. For many reason.

The Collar is designed to fit your hand better.
The Collar opening is larger.
The Tank is 1 piece instead of 2.
The protective cage around tank is much more substantial
The tank wont twist inside of the Cage.
And Ragasco has never had a safety issue.

The bottom line the Lite cylinders are Mickey Mouse. The Ragasco is superior in design, style, easy of use, and safety. We actually have had 3
10 lb Lite cylinders that when the consumer had them filled they leaked all the gas at Two piece seem.We off Course returned their money and paid for shipping.
Ragasco has produced and sold 3,000,000 units and has actually been around longer than Lite. Its is just in the past year they have become available here in the US.
Lp Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:43   #25
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Quote:

10 lb lite tank purchased from downwind marine in so california
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr's Aura View Post
I have the Light Cylinder and would not recommend it. It's great idea but the top has a steel fitting that the valve screws in to. Mine has rusted and I don't think it will be long before it will be totally useless. The aluminum tank I have hasn't shown any signs of corrosion and when I replace the Light Cylinder it will be with an aluminum tank.

Tim
Put some TefGel on the fitting ASAP.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 14:43   #27

Lp Gas Man

Quote:
Sir My name is Matt Hughes I am the Sales Director for Ragasco. You can visit our web site xxxor give me a call at xxx.

We have 11lb and 16lb model and a 22lb tank coming soon.
Old 05-09-2008, 14:48   #28

If there any of you boating people interested in the Composite Cylinders we are at the Tampa Boat show Sept 5-7. Booth # 177 We are selling the 16 lb tanks for $99 this is a savings of $ 20.
Look Forward to seeing you.
Matt Hughes
Lp Gas Man
Old 16-09-2008, 12:33   #29

Lightbulb Composite Propane Tanks

Hello Fellow Boaters and Sailors. I just want to take a moment of your time and thank you for visiting our booth at the Tampa Boat Show. I have posted in the past our web site XXX and now would like to introduce you to XXX and invite you to visit us any time.

A lot of you have made comments about the price and I would like some feedback as to what you perceive the value to be. Please give me some feedback. I am working with Bass Pro and West Marine to start carrying the tanks so they are more easily obtainable. I have been very well trained in propane gas and the uses of the Composite Cylinders. So if I can assist any of you with any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime. If you call in or visit our site please mention you saw me on cruisersforum.com this will let me know you are a member of this site.
Old 16-09-2008, 12:40   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to FreeSail
I have seen the composite cylinder for sale online for $89 not the $120 on the above website.