Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 05:56   #1

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Colligo Marine.........

Does anyone else have experience dealing with Colligo Marine?

I have found them completely unresponsive to questions.....etc.

I have made purchases. We plan on doing much more in terms of rerigging the boat. And This product is not cheap. Delivery was slow. Inquires went unaddressed. After being charged for the shipping the post office shows up with their hand out for additional money......

No big deal really. Just curious. The amount of money to re rig the boat is definitely enough to consider any other suppliers.....

Maybe i am catching them at a busy time.....??????

Curious whether the forum might have some feedback........positive (hopefully) or negative.

Thanks

S
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:10   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Colligo Marine.........

I purchased some materials to do my lifelines last year and was basically very satisfied. I exchanged a couple emails and then place an order which was to take a week or so from Arizona to the East Coast. After not receiving it in a reasonable time I called or emailed (can't remember which) and found out somehow the shipment hadn't been made. It went out the next day and I got one of the "soft shackles" as a bonus due to the foul up.

I would certainly use them again, but you experience does sound troubling. I know the "owner" John does most all the boat shows and takes the orders via phone or emails so he must be stretched thin some days. I met him at the Annapolis boat show and he's the one who took my order. Seemed like a nice guy and very knowledgeable.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:26   #3

Maybe the small shop/entrepreneur is meeting with some success.......good on him.!!!!!

Might need to expand a notch to meet customer service and demand..........?????

S
Old 17-04-2012, 09:59   #4

Thanks for the input.....

Our second order was online. Placed that 6 days ago. Payment was same day. Still no word as to the status of the order. Only the original short email saying the order is "pending."

Not really looking for instant gratification here, but some sort of confirmation would be nice. Just have to wait a bit long I guess.
Old 17-04-2012, 14:02   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Does anyone else have experience dealing with Colligo Marine?

I have found them completely unresponsive to questions.....etc.

I have made purchases. We plan on doing much more in terms of rerigging the boat. And This product is not cheap. Delivery was slow. Inquires went unaddressed. After being charged for the shipping the post office shows up with their hand out for additional money......

No big deal really. Just curious. The amount of money to re rig the boat is definitely enough to consider any other suppliers.....

Maybe i am catching them at a busy time.....??????

Curious whether the forum might have some feedback........positive (hopefully) or negative.

Thanks

S
Hi S, One of the issues we have is with some pretty hefty growth this year. Please resend your email and I will make sure I answer it myself.
jfranta@colligomarine.com. Please call if you need something quickly. 480 703 3675

As you know our synthetic rigging products require a fair amount of education and this takes time. We are expanding our staff now and training them to give the type of customer satisfaction that we are used to giving. In addition, this year we have initiated a training program for riggers that is helping to distribute the workload and decrease delivery time. As you can imagine, we want to continue to deliver a quality product and making sure our product is used correctly is paramount.

If you were charged more for post than we charged you we will gladly reimburse you for the extra expense.

Best Regards, John Franta, Colligo Marine
jfranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 14:29   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I too have had a very positive experience with Colligo.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:30   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37

I am having my boat rerigged with Dyneema Dux and Colligo hardware.

Work is being done by Chris Catterton of CC Rigging who recently completed the certication program John Franti mentioned.

I had a couple of questions before moving forward with the project, called Colligo and spent a bit of time talking directly with John who provided the answers I was looking for.

Chris ordered all of the hardware and line and had it within 2-3 days.

Regards

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
MarcHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:30   #8

Boat: Haida 26

Good to know that John is growing this fast. I'm building a new tri and will be using there products. I've done a little research on them and there products and must have. Congrats John on your sucess..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 18:37   #9

All good..............

Thanks to all that have replied.

John I will be in contact as soon as I can...........

I have already replaced the life lines and the running backs. I found the quality of the materials sent to be excellent. Also found Dux to be relatively easy to work with and splice. I am pretty well convinced that this type of system will be a huge benefit to the more self sufficient cruising sailor. I just want to make sure that I get the engineering correct before placing a larger order.

I think that my emails and perhaps my latest order may have just fallen through the cracks.......... no worries. And thanks.....but I will cover the post as well.........its not a big deal.

S
Old 17-04-2012, 18:45   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Dynex Dux is part of the whole get away from the nice shiny and expensive parts and back to the solutions that were proven to work ages ago when our ancestors sailed the seas. I'd wish every CF member would start using these high tech variants aboard to make the boats safer and easier to maintain. You need no dye tests to check out a Dyneema line, or a small rope to keep a stainless hook on lifelines safely closed... insanity is slowly getting replaced with sense again.

Don't stop with lifelines and rigging. Start replacing shackles too. Tie reefing lines and dyneema sheet attachments around the boom instead of to that bolted-on stainless eye etc. etc. Look at the racers and learn. Look at the old traditional sailing ships and learn. New and old: the same. Buy that spool of waxed V.346 thread and a set of needles instead of cans with liquid rubber to dip stuff in

Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 18:52   #11

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Dynex Dux is part of the whole get away from the nice shiny and expensive parts and back to the solutions that were proven to work ages ago when our ancestors sailed the seas. I'd wish every CF member would start using these high tech variants aboard to make the boats safer and easier to maintain. You need no dye tests to check out a Dyneema line, or a small rope to keep a stainless hook on lifelines safely closed... insanity is slowly getting replaced with sense again.

Don't stop with lifelines and rigging. Start replacing shackles too. Tie reefing lines and dyneema sheet attachments around the boom instead of to that bolted-on stainless eye etc. etc. Look at the racers and learn. Look at the old traditional sailing ships and learn. New and old: the same. Buy that spool of waxed V.346 thread and a set of needles instead of cans with liquid rubber to dip stuff in

Nick.
Thank You Nick, well put. I'm now changing over o my new boat.. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:40   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Great product, great stuff . . .the soft shackles are incredible!

I had new sheets made with eyes, and use the soft shackles to attach to the clew. Much better than the clunky bowlines when tacking, and easier to change/remove.

Order through Fisheries Supply in Seattle if you are having delays.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 00:48   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Those soft shackles are easy to make yourself if you don't already. John's got a nice video on how to do it on the website.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 20:03   #14

Boat: B-411 .. #14

Hi Everyone Got Chkm8 B411 Sept. 2012 and rerigged in Huntington on the hard John went out of his way to find parts for conversion and now all those parts available from Colligo. The weight reduction was amazing ... all rigging was done including shrouds lifelines and furler. Still have original turnbuckles ... SY / Chkm8
Chkm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 21:34   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee Nick, All we have is waxed line and needles!! Whats the name of that rubber stuff ?? LOL