Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 09:15   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Cockpit Light Suggestions?

Im looking for a good light to use in the cockpit while at anchor. We have a bimini that is typically deployed so I guess something that can hang from the bimini would be good. Im open to battery operated or wired. Mainly looking for somehting that provides good quality light and does not break the bank on amp consumption. I dont think it needs to be super bright like for reading but should be able to provide enough light to make the cockpit a welcoming place to be. The first solution that comes to mind is this light by Davis but perhaps there are others that are better?

Mega Light Ultimate Cockpit by Davis
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:09   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Cockpit Light Suggestions?

I just put this fellow's LED "bulbs" in my 40 year old reading lamp fixtures.

Marine LEDs Canada

I see no reason why you couldn't adapt an existing fixture or a Fresnel type like the Davis, or indeed a simple anchor light into a LED cockpit light. I would make it powered from a waterproof 12VDC socket at the helm for easy removal.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:19   #3

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

The best by far are the Bebis- 18 LED Waterproof Area and Anchor Light Bulb Assembly for Marine RV and Off-Grid 12 Volt use . Very bright, double as anchor light so pangas and dinghies don't hit you, LEDs last forever, negligible power consumption, low cost, ... Plus great people to deal with. I have used them for several years, given them as much appreciated gifts, ... I hang mine from the backstay or the bimini. Far superior to my old MegaLight (which I gave away).
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

At 13 bucks, this might be good in a standard fixture as it seems to be enclosed in a night watertight bulb. I only wonder if the color of the light isn't garbage:

Amazon.com: Waterproof Ba15s Bayonet Base Single Contact 15 SMD 3528 LED Light Bulb 12 Volt, Warm White, 1429ww: Automotive
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
The best by far are the Bebis- 18 LED Waterproof Area and Anchor Light Bulb Assembly for Marine RV and Off-Grid 12 Volt use . Very bright, double as anchor light so pangas and dinghies don't hit you, LEDs last forever, negligible power consumption, low cost, ... Plus great people to deal with. I have used them for several years, given them as much appreciated gifts, ... I hang mine from the backstay or the bimini. Far superior to my old MegaLight (which I gave away).
I was looking at these and they seem pretty nice and the price is right. One question was which bulbs to go with? They offer the all warm white, all bright white, half and half... I would guess that the all warm white would be the best for my use as a general cockpit light?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:34   #6

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
One question was which bulbs to go with? They offer the all warm white, all bright white, half and half... I would guess that the all warm white would be the best for my use as a general cockpit light?
If it was me, I would definitely go with the warm white. The bright white tends to be that cold blue LED light that may be fine for a flashlight, but does nothing for "cozy". We replaced all of our incandescent interior lights with warm white LEDs from Imtra and one cool white fixture snuck into the batch. The difference in "warmth" was amazing, and the cool white fixture was promptly exchanged for a warm one.
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
If it was me, I would definitely go with the warm white. The bright white tends to be that cold blue LED light that may be fine for a flashlight, but does nothing for "cozy". We replaced all of our incandescent interior lights with warm white LEDs from Imtra and one cool white fixture snuck into the batch. The difference in "warmth" was amazing, and the cool white fixture was promptly exchanged for a warm one.

Yeah definately my thoughts too. Thats why Im so happy with the Sensibulb conversions for my interior reading lights. Very warm light. I went with Alpenglow compact FL lights for general cabin lighting.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:38   #8

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

I went with the warm white down/bright white sides because I leave it on all night as a low altitude anchor light. If primarily for cockpit light, warm white is more pleasant to most people and still pretty good visibility as anchor light. I got the photocell and lighter plug for the latest one, since I already had a 12v socket in the cockpit. When out cruising I just hang it up, plug it in, and forget it. I also use the warm white sensibulbs for interior light.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
I went with the warm white down/bright white sides because I leave it on all night as a low altitude anchor light. If primarily for cockpit light, warm white is more pleasant to most people and still pretty good visibility as anchor light. I got the photocell and lighter plug for the latest one, since I already had a 12v socket in the cockpit. When out cruising I just hang it up, plug it in, and forget it. I also use the warm white sensibulbs for interior light.

Pretty much what I was thinking. I like the idea of a low altitude anchor light too.

Thanks All,
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I second the Bebi anchor light. Just an amazing light at a very reasonable price.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:51   #11

Boat: Vagabond 42

For inside the cockpit lighting for dining we use a CHEAP 4-AA batteries round light that you push on the top and it turns on/off. Cost is $3.00 at Home Depot. It can sit on the table if it is up or a little spot of velcro on the back of the light and on a bimini rail and it becomes an overhead light.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 13:00   #12

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

You can use So;ar LED garden patio lights hanging off the bimini, they will recharge during the day, so no battery draw. Just check them for brightness.
Also they will make your boat more visible at anchor...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 13:23   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have solar christmas tree lights that on one mode can stay on continously. These give a lovely warm happy light that you can eat dinner by, etc. Not broght enough for reading.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 13:29   #14

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Not to stir up an old debate BUT any light used in the cockpit of an anchored boat should light the boat and not appear as a stern light. Mounting a cockpit light well up inside a bimini would work as it would not be directly viewable from other boats. If l.e.d. lights could be mounted under the spreaders they'd save a lot of amp hours when turning the spreader lights on. I wonder if they are bright enough for spreader downlights?
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 15:28   #15

Boat: contessa 32

What? no sugestions for the old kero/lamp oil lights? Nothing gives a more welcoming glow,ZERO amps used ,never a failure;can't be used under water though.
Whatever happened to tradition?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit