Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2011, 14:59   #1

Boat: Oday 28
Cockpit Cushions

Hi Forum, I am making new cockpit cushions for my boat and was wondering what type of cushion to use. I have checked out the internet and there are so many types. I would like to know what type holds up well and lasts... Thanks
Althea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 15:11   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Cockpit Cushions

By cushion I believe you may be referring to the type of foam. If so, you basically have a choice of closed cell or open cell. There are pros and cons to both. Mine are closed cell foam. The are sturdy, and being closed cell they float. Being floating they can be used recreationally while swimming around the boat or tossed to someone who might have gone over the side. On the down side, they tend to be a bit hard and can get uncomfortable over long periods of time.

Open cell foam is more comfortable but will only float until the cells become saturated. Because the open cells are open to moisture, be it sea water, rain or even dew, mold and mildew can be a problem after a while. If you go open cell I would recommend that at least the base plates be made of a breathable fabric and give them frequent airings.

There's a bit more but I think that covers the basics as I understand them.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 15:52   #3

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

We made some fantastic open cell cushions for our cockpit. two weeks later they were so full of water we just couldn't get them to dry. due to the seams being sewn and not plastic welded it never worked. Close cell I would imagine is much better due to the ability to not absorb the water so much plus the ability to throw them over for a MOB situation. If you go with open cell, make sure your material is water proof, the seams wont leak, and you have a nice way of getting the foam out to clean/dry it when it does get wet.

Otherwise they end up as a damp nightmare.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 22:19   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

two words; bean bags

Tags
cockpit, cushions