Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 16:32   #16

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl
Re: Cape Horn Windvane Self-Steering System

NP, I am not concerned with weakening of the transom by the horizontal tube of the Cape Horn. My concern is that someday when I want to return to coastal cruising, I will be removing the CH and will need to repair the hole in the transom - which can be done, but the repair could be expensive and may show on a Flag Blue hull - like Megan Fox having her tattoo removed - it's still going to show, even though the rest of her looks good. But there were other issues besides cosmetics. Perhaps your CH works well on your Dufour 35, as it does on other medium sized lighter displacement boats like Yves' Alberg 30 for example. But I've heard mixed reviews for the CH on heavy displacement boats in the 50' range. In addition, I have a dodger and yawl rig - still workable but not ideal for any windvane system steering a boat on the wind. (I hope that these comments don't result in a torrent of posts regarding the necessity of correct sail trim, etc., etc. for effective use of a vane system - been there, done that, have had vane systems on other boats I've owned over the past 47 years and two schooners that would hold their courses for hours by sail trim alone) But I will agree that the Cape Horn system is the best looking and with the control lines out of the cockpit, least intrusive system out there.
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 23:53   #17

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Sorry, Most of us don't have a blue hulll. Comming from the Far North I often have a blue arse. LOL But don;t let that that worry you. I bought my vessel to take me on a journey. The lucky buggers who buy my boat when I am dead are going to get one hell of a deal, unless they are looking for a blue arse.

Sorry blue hull.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11   #18

Hi kelly,
Regarding:

I have a dodger and yawl rig - still workable but not ideal for any windvane system steering a boat on the wind.

Agree, I have an enclosed cockpit so to get clean air I extended the shaft height to clear the canvas. Hope this works Still in the process of engineering the Capehorn onto the back of the boat.

My work so far is on SouthPacificEngagement.com Pics of my epic engineering feat will appear tonight:-)
Old 03-04-2012, 14:42   #19

I decided to go with a second autopilot (Simrad AP28 to back up my trusty old Wood Freeman). I have 1160 AH in my house system (8 deep cycle AGMs/ series-parallel) - should do me. Checked out your website - thanks. Sounds like you've got an adventure ahead of you. Beautiful dream with a beautiful lady. Good luck and fair winds, brother.

PJ Kelly
Old 03-04-2012, 14:59   #20

Boat: Ohlson 38

With the Toucana model at least (probably other models as well) the entire self steering gear can be installed externally. That is to say, no holes drilled into the transom.

We've sent our deposit in today. The other participants are sending in their deposits, and then we all wait for the postman! We also sent a deposit to NorthSails for a completely new suit of tanbark sails...OUCH! I'm officially and undeniably broke now.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28   #21

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I have a dumb question. If you have the "integrated" version of the Cape Horn with wheel steering, how do you engage and disengage the Cape Horn? I've been on the Cape Horn website and can't find the answer.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:00   #22

Just release tension on the lines that join the 2 quadrants. They are in jaming cleats by the wheel. Real easy.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05   #23

I will tell you what for a sailor rather than an engineer the installation is not easy. No step by step idiot proof plans from Capehorn LOL. I am slowly and carefully getting there. Glassing and setting the tower today. Pics to follow.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13   #24

I'm just pee'ing in my pants to see the finished result, NP. Spare us no details!
Old 14-04-2012, 23:58   #25

My Mrs has a blog. I have been instructed to post my build on it. Hope that is ok.

It is on South Pacific Engagement.com Pacific Adventure, then equipement for boat. Hope the technical language is clear

I have it glassed in and the tower is up. Next weekend, do the supports and the blocks.

not as easy asit looks. Mine you it does look good.
Old 15-04-2012, 17:00   #26

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Thanks for your responses and please keep us posted. The Cape Horn is on my self-steering short list.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:55   #27

Having spent a couple of days at the Strictly Pacific show and looking at all the wind vane there, there is no doubt in my mind that the HydoVane is the best built by a large margin, in addition it will also operate as a emergency rudder. Removing the steering rudder is dead easy, putting it on will mean a dinghy trip or stern first to the dock. It looks immensely strong. I might add that I am a Aries 4 user which I love, but if I had the cash I would definitely switch to the HydroVane.
Bazzer
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 18:05   #28

I installed a Cape Horn on my boat, which is 9-tons, 34 feet and steel. I found the installation to be a lot of careful study, and then mostly just work. The vendor was always ready to help, though I didn't need much.
Many years back I had the idea for a minimalist windvane, and later discovered that it was actually being made, and it was the Cape Horn.
I hesitate before cutting a 2" hole in a boat, but it can be welded up again. In fibreglass you would save the plug, and epoxy it back in, if you should ever remove the vane permanently.
I have not had many chances to use the vane yet, but I did find it worked ok downwind in about 15 knots.
Routing the control lines is a challenge, but with five pairs of blocks and some copper tubing, the arrangement seems fine. A push-pull control cable would be the ticket, to eliminate most of the blocks, but the travel has to be eight inches.
My only concern is that the apparatus is on the stern, and it has already been hit at least twice by incompetent or careless motorboaters. So a guard must be added, and that's not easy.
psaltydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 20:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
With the Toucana model at least (probably other models as well) the entire self steering gear can be installed externally. .
You have it installed yet, Virginia Boy?

I'm interested in your results.

John (Westsail 32 Bambolera)
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 21:53   #30

Well I have installed mine. It took me bloody ages! engineering is for people with brains that can inform fingers and eyes and toes to complete simple tasks simply! Bloody Nora what an epic. I have the beast nailed on and soon I am going to try to see if it works just like the video says.

After reading blogs and first hand experience of people using them I bought mine with a very high tower so that nothing impedes airflow to the wee sail. Anyone who bumps into my appendage is going to have serious damage done to their appendages:-)

It is so simple, the best selling point is that unlike any other self steerer CH do not try to sell you a $10000 CRUISING KIT. Squirt some wd40 ever year is about the best of it.

Tags
self steering, steering, windvane