Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42   #1

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Camera Suggestions

Hello All,
I lost my camera(Olympus 770SW) following a recent capsize. I don't have much to choose from here so would appreciate suggestions of what works well for others. The only complaint I had with the Olympus, other than negative bouancy, was difficulty seeing the viewfinder in daylight. Thanks in advance, Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
It all depends on what you want out of a camera. I think both Sony and Canon make some very good range finder cameras as does Olympus. Range finders (AKA point and shoots) have the advantage of being small and affordable and for the money, I feel they take reasonable images. Disadvantages are: shutter lag, many lack of a view finder,poorer optical quality and inability to use filters. I have a canon powershot that I think does a good job for the money. My powershot has a viewfinder, but unlike an SLR, it is not through the lens, so does not accurately represent the frame capture.

SLRs cost more, but allow you to use filters, buy what ever lenses you wish, have no shutter lag, and allow you to see through the viewfinder which is actually seen through the lens.(which addresses your screen visibility issue) They also give you more control options. I find being able to add a polarizing filter is a very nice feature for cruising. I have a Canon Rebel XSI and also a basic Rebel. I really like the Rebel XSI and use it mostly with a reasonable Tamron zoom lens. (Nikon makes some great SLRs too, but I'm not as familiar with them)

Realize that different digital cameras have different sized sensors which changes the effective focal length of lenses. Few have full frame sensors, so you will get a larger image with most digital cameras than most film cameras using the same lens.

I highly recommend staying away from cameras that use AA batteries as they tend to gobble them up. The rechargeable lithium batteries are much more efficient.

For reference, all the image on my website were taken with one of my Rebels.

www.bahamasmariner.com

This image of The Baths was taken with my canon point and shoot:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...icture2869.jpg

While I feel it is a reasonable image, I think you can tell the blues are a bit more washed out and it lacks the sharpness that comes with better optics. It also has more noise.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:51   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
We have a Sony T500 or something. It's rubbish, delays taking the photo so difficult to capture the dog in a particular pose and we hate it, to make matters worse it cost a fortune . The Fuji it replaced which is now 11 years old is much easier to use.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:57   #4

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
The higher-end point-and-shoots from Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Casio, Fujifilm, etc. are all going to give you about the same options and photo quality. However, I highly recommend the Fujifilm F80EXR. Lots of user adjustable settings, minimal noise in low light, and virtually no lag between the time you press the button and when it takes the photo.

I use a Nikon D70 SLR with an assortment of lenses for work, but I carry the older Fujifilm F50fd as my backup camera and use it with an underwater housing for snorkeling or toobing the river.

Fuji's underwater housings work great and make it float, but they're a bit bulky.

If you want something slim and water resistant try the Olympus Stylus Tough line. They are definitely tough, and the photos are passable, but nothing to write home about. Both the Fuji and the Panasonic drop-proof/waterproof cameras are overpriced and take horrid photos.

And while I love Nikon DSLRs, avoid their point-and-shoots. They have terrible battery life and lots of shutter lag. I don't know anyone who has ever been happy with one.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01   #5

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Here's a gallery of photos that were shot with the F50fd. The F80EXR makes these look bland.

Picasa Web Albums - Fred - Los Cabos#
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. 12 megapixel point-and-shoot. Image stabilzation, lots of presets, waterproof to 10 meters, shock proof from over 6', freeze proof to 14°F etc., etc. Great little camera.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 14:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Gobble fix...

Have a Canon A40 and a Pentax istD. Both use AA batteries. No worries!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6687 (Small).JPG
Views:	165
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	15283  
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 14:29   #8

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
I ordered the Canon S90 for a summer long sailing trip! It is compact camera with profession features such as a RAW format output and a fast f2.0 lens for low light pictures.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 22:39   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Depends what sort of photos you want.

We have 2 cameras: Cannon 40D about $2,000 all up.
Olympus 1030 'underwater' joke! but if you buy the underwater housing with it its fine $1000 with the housing.

If you want good pics you need a good camera. Unfortuanetly there doesn't seem to be just one. You need 2!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 23:31   #10

Boat: Stevens 47
I have used a Canon G9 all the way across the pacific and it has been outstanding. I bought the underwater housing for it as well and have taken amazing photos (about 7500 of them) and some incredible underwater video as well (Look here: )

Reasonable price for outstanding results!

Tags
camera