Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 09:08   #16

Re: Bottom paint Blues

They're not using a very good methodology then - I would use ICP-MS and it should be able to detect any of those at the ppb level.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:11   #17

"

Uranium ore

Uranium is a naturally occurring element found in low levels within all rock, soil, and water. This is the highest-numbered element to be found naturally in significant quantities on earth..."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 10:03   #18

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvaro Ramirez View Post
I met this guy in Colombia who is a passionate sailor and investigator that has developed an additive for ablative paints that improves the performance of the bottom paint and retards the adherence of barnacle, and algae to the hull´s surface for amazing periods reducing the need for bottom cleanups with the consecuent savings not t talk about fuel savings fron less friction. This product is ecofriendly and considered inherently safe for humans and mother nature. The name is ProFoul. I used the product in my boat´s bottom paint in Cartagena, Colombia and it´s been in the water for the last 4 months and yet no trace of any crustacean or algae.
If you may want any information I can contact this fellow and see how to source it. The cost for mine was 13 dollars per gallon bottom paint. The paint flows easier when applying it. it seemed to me also that coverage was geratly improved.

best regards

Hey mate, no ofense, but whatever **** you put in a bottom hull dont last in Cartagena 4 months, not 2.
Is probably one of the most dirty harbours in the whole central america .
I see boats in Cartagena with barnacles climbing up in the waterline and people trashing anchors chain due barnacles.

neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 11:10   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Doesn't change my view of it as BS, though, and it still contains significant toxins, but all of them (like uranium, for example).
Oops, that was supposed to say " but NOT all of them".

Too late to edit it.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 13:40   #20

Boto:
What did they "prime" with?? I have never "primed before painting with either Micron or Trilux. Do you think they were applying a barrier coat like "Interprotect"?? If so the timing between barrier coats and then between barrier coat and antifouling is quite critical. Perhaps the yard could not read the instructions!! I know this from an unfortunate expensive experience when I bought my boat. The vessel passed its inspection OK but was only out of the water for about an hour at that time. Once it was on the hard for a couple of days the bottom paint began FALLING off the boat in large flakes. The conclusion was that the bottom paint had been applied incorrectly over the barrier coat. Cost about $8K to get the bottom scraped down to bare FG, apply barrier coats and bottom paint. I hope your problem is not as bad but you will only know that after your bottom dries out. Good luck.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 14:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Yeah it basically looks like a list of all the things you really shouldn't put in the ocean.

Hard to imagine mother nature being grateful for adding deadly, toxic, highly regulated heavy metals to the water. The EPA just spent 30 years trying to get them OUT of SF Bay.

I highly doubt if those are the ingredients anyway. So far all we've heard is a load of psuedo-scientific bafflegab that contradicts itself but includes some important buzzwords : nanoparticles, natural, non-metallic, colloidal, and so on. My money is on it being pure snake oil, if it exists at all, which I am beginning to doubt.

Interestingly, a search on ProFoul additive yields : no hits. I think we've wasted enough time on this troll.
Guys:
I´ve seen you make a good analysis of the situation but plase note that this is an analisys of the metallic elements contained in this 100% natural formula. Many of this elements are also present at higher levels in beach sand.
The most important elements her are silver, aluminum and strontium summing up to 2-2,2% and the rest being silicon (98%) the cristaline structure of the product is what makes a great and safe application.
Silver, Aluminum and Strontium are fundamantal to support life. The remaining metallic elements including URANIUM!!! are at trace levels they dont represent any threat to life. In fact, the mos important constituent of this solution comes naturally from the ocean itself so how can it pose such a threat. The other metallic elements represent 0,000364 kg/Kg of product.

Mark is right regardingg the hilarious name that I mispelled being NoFoul the correct name for it. And again is 100% natural.

What is really important is that even in waters like Cartagena´s bay. I have a 4 months clean hull and that is a fact. I plan to make some experimentation with it to share with you all.

If 85% comes from the ocean How can it Harm the same?
NO BS plain ttruth
Alvaro Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint