Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 15:05   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Borescope Recommendation?

I have two inaccessible water tanks in my FP Orana and have a leak in the starboard one (I'm hoping it's the overflow connection). I thought about investing in a cheap borescope to snake in for a look before cutting bulkheads and came across an iPad compatible one called DCiS1 - iBorescope, made by General Tools. Various prices on the web for this same instrument ($175-220).
Does anyone have any experience with this particular scope? Or any recommendations for another system? I'm not looking to do surgery with it, just be able to identify something in a confined space.

Thanks! Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 15:24   #2

Re: Borescope Recommendation?

if you pressurize your tank you should be able to tell in a hurry if the hose is leaking. If you can't hear air escaping from the hose I would guess the tank is leaking!?
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 15:29   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

There is a big learning curve in using a borescope. I kind of doubt you would be able to see a problem that would cause a small leak. If you could pressurize the tank and get soap on the area, you then might see something on the outside.
I was once given a old borescope by a doctor customer that he once used for inspecting your bum. I needed to inspect his aircraft's wing spar for cracks. It was worthless... I see some borescopes at places like Home Depot that look pretty good and at a good price.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 17:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
There is a big learning curve in using a borescope. I kind of doubt you would be able to see a problem that would cause a small leak. If you could pressurize the tank and get soap on the area, you then might see something on the outside.
I was once given a old borescope by a doctor customer that he once used for inspecting your bum. I needed to inspect his aircraft's wing spar for cracks. It was worthless... I see some borescopes at places like Home Depot that look pretty good and at a good price.
I agree. The advice to pressurize and listen is worth a try. If you really want a camera on a fiber optic flex stalk check into Harbor Freight. Its a good tool for lots of things.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 18:17   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

mike.d, Guy and Nicholson 58, thanks for the comments.

The leak occurs when topping off the tanks (they are piped together) and only when near full. The overflow tube is connected at the top of the tank and passes through a longitudinal bulkhead, emptying into the mostly enclosed anchor chain locker - not enough room to get my head in there either. Pressing up the tank may still allow the overflow hose to push air and water out, but if it's loose on the top of the tank, it may also be the cause of the leak.

So it's either the tube is loose from the tank (factory pics I took show two hose clamps as fasteners) or a crack at the top of the tank. Either way, I'm going to have to go into the space and just trying to determine how big an access I'll have to cut.

I'll check out the other sources you all mentioned for other scopes - thanks!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:19   #6

If you're still looking for a borescope, I bought one off eBay (link below) a while back. Frankly, I'm a bit amazed by the quality and capability of this thing, given the ridiculously low price.

2M 10mm 4 LED USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Snake Inspection Video Camera | eBay
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:40   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Ive got one you can borrow. I stole it from the Doctor after a bit of a fight... He was trying to do something quite inapropriate, I thought, with it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:47   #8

I bought the 99$ harbor freight bore scope, and it has reasonable optics, but I agree that it takes some use to understand what you are looking at. I bought it to inspect a cylinder on my less than 10 year old Ford pickup and discovered that the probe would not go thru the spark plug hole, so it didnt do me any good. A mechanics mirror on a shaft, and a flashlight would be my first choice for looking for a cracked tank or fitting. Good Luck. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We have the Rigid with an extended cable.
It's a very useful tool on a boat.
Not cheap but works very well.

If you want to use it in small cylinders the Snap On gas the smallest probe and fits I into a spark plug hole...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:28   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I bought a cheap USB based scope to inspect my dryer vent--did OK, but there is a learning curve--its got 30 ft of cable, so its ready to inspect the inside of my mast too.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:02   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
If you're still looking for a borescope, I bought one off eBay (link below) a while back. Frankly, I'm a bit amazed by the quality and capability of this thing, given the ridiculously low price.

2M 10mm 4 LED USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Snake Inspection Video Camera | eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I bought a cheap USB based scope to inspect my dryer vent--did OK, but there is a learning curve--its got 30 ft of cable, so its ready to inspect the inside of my mast too.
FYI... These are cheap and I have a couple as well.... Amazon available too... They do exactly what they are supposed to do... The learning curve is higher as mentioned...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, scope