Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2008, 16:45   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Bird Chase Super Sonic from Bird-B-Gone

I was asked by a customer to install one of these units onboard their 21 foot Duffy electric boat. The neighboring boat had an earlier version that emitted cracks, squeals and buzzes to unnerve seagulls which perched on the canvas cockpit cover and pooped all over. It worked, so I had a second request. This time I substituted the newest version, the Bird Chase Super Sonic from Bird-B-Gone. It has a self contained weatherproof speaker and a weather resistant box, sort of like an irrigation timer. I tested it first in the parking lot of our yachtclub. The seagulls got very upset, hovering about, looking for the distressed bird, since the unit emits recorded calls of a programmable group of pesky birds, such as pigeons, crows, graekles, gulls, etc. Apparently, the idea is to keep them so upset that they go in search of a nicer neighborhood where fewer buddies are being torn apart by unseen creatures. It runs off 12 VDC or 110VAC. It can be programmed for day, night, or all the time operation. It emits a series of calls for two minutes, pauses for ten minutes, then starts a different round of same species distress cries. The unit can be increased in effect with up to four more speakers, to cover a 6 acre area. Each speaker comes with a lot of cable for good spacing on a building or large vessel. I'll update this thread in a few weeks with the results when installed on the customer's boat. I think it's a hit!
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 17:06   #2

That sounds awesome. I wonder how annoying that would be if they covered the marina.

But now that I think about it, there are some really awesome seabirds that I love to see near the boat (and on the boat, by suprise, even if they do crap on my brightwork). I don't know if I want my neighbor running a speaker system that keeps all the wildlife away.

Hmmm.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 18:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I am one who values quiet. Quiet has become quite a precious commodity in our crowded society. I think it would be very rude to subject my neighbors in the slips near me to a bunch of noise.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:10   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000, 10 m catamaran - Serrano
Won't work for long

I've been involved in keeping birds away from airports, crops, sewage ponds, rubbish tips, etc for many years. There's 50 years of worldwide research on using "aversive stimuli" (e.g. noise, movement, scaring devices) with birds in lots of different situations and many different species, and the results are all basically the same: unless the aversive stimulus is associated with actual danger (e.g. you shoot some birds every week at the same time that the noise machine goes on), birds that remain in the area (as most gulls do) will habituate to the situation after maximum of 4 weeks and then ignore it, and any new birds to the area will notice that the locals couldn't care less and are sitting (did I leave out an "h"?) on your boat - and they'll do the same. Despite this, every few months there is a new wonder device inflicted on the market in the vain hope for a magic bullet solution (or to make some quick money and disappear).

The only things that work are physical obstructions, protective covers, constant active management (e.g. by people, dogs, falcons) or adding real danger (e.g. killing or injuring birds). Which means that there are only really two options - the first two. And, in some cases, long term control of unnaturally overabundant birds, but hardly anyone wants to bite that bullet.

Noise devices can be very effective - at really annoying your neighbours. That's worth bearing in mind!
Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:49   #5

I will report back, then, in five or so weeks. I am constantly amazed at the negative responses to new products by folks who haven't actually tested them. I suppose that is the normal human response to novelty and turf issues. I found the same reactions to multihulls (in my youth), later, Pulse-Tech and Prop-Speed. Too bad for those who rejected these, smiles for those who considered them.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:07   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
Question??? What happened to the acoustic devices that were supposed to eliminate bottom paint? Did that new idea work? Don't see them anymore.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:15   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If you don't want birds on YOUR boat. Then just throw bird seed on the boat at the end of the dock.....JUST KIDDDDDDDING
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 18:04   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
The had one of these units at a a Marina in Baltimore...it drove boat owners away
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 19:05   #9

Cool! The waiting list for slips here is pretty long. Maybe it will speed things up a bit. I had a chance to use it tonight. We were having a barbecue and the gulls started attacking the main attraction. I pulled the unit from my front seat of the truck, plugged it in, and we watched the show. The scene was reminiscent of Hitchcock's "The Birds", then they split. It IS an ugly sound, though.
Old 01-10-2008, 20:37   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I will report back, then, in five or so weeks. I am constantly amazed at the negative responses to new products by folks who haven't actually tested them. I suppose that is the normal human response to novelty and turf issues. I found the same reactions to multihulls (in my youth), later, Pulse-Tech and Prop-Speed. Too bad for those who rejected these, smiles for those who considered them.
I never said the product would not work. I am saying it would be a huge nuisance to humans...who would probably never get used to the noise.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:54   #11

Boat: Seawind 1000, 10 m catamaran - Serrano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Hi Roy. I'm actually a classic early adopter - been sailing multis (and monos - don't see what all the silly arguments are about, myself) since I was 13, have seen Prop-Speed working like a treat, and heard good things about Pulse-Tech! I just have a lot of bitter experience with bird problems and the lack of long term solutions. If this one works, I'll be surprised, but I'll be very pleased - and the inventor will be a millionaire in quick time
Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:12   #12
Eternal Member

When I lived in the marina in the S.F. Bay Area. I would many times get up in the middle of the night to tie of halyards. I could see some speaker accidently getting stepped on after a while.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09   #13

One nice feature of the unit is the ability to reduce the volume. You don't have to protect the entire dock or marina, just make your immediate area gull-unfriendly. We'll see how the neighborhood responds in the next month or so. As for stepping on the speakers, they are relatively small and lightweight, making them easy to install with snap-ties in convenient and unobtrusive places. On the Duffy electric boat, I use the main unit under the canopy to frighten birds which like to roost there, and face two additional speakers fore and aft, under the fringe, to discourage potential landings.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:31   #14
Eternal Member

Why not with a motion sensor, so it's not squawking all the time. Only as the bird lands.

I know after a while the gulls would just ignore me, and continue to sheet from the radar as I stepped on the boat
Old 02-10-2008, 16:07   #15

The same company makes a strip that shocks their tootsies when they land on a flat surface. Doesn't hurt them, just spooks them.