Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 05:44   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
Bigger West Marine Discount?

When in Florida I ran into a couple of people who had been given deeper than usual discounts at West marine and offered to buy my stuff using their discount. I'm no longer in Florida and would love to have my own "deep discount" account, How do I get one? Do I need to have a vendors license? Can I negotiate with the local WM manager? What is the best rate they will give on that type of account?

I will be spending quite a bit of money between now and spring, and don't wish to haggle over every small purchase to get a lower price.

Eric
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 05:53   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Bigger West marine discount?

WM has a wholesale side called Port Supply.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 05:54   #3

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

The only way to get a bigger discount at west marine is to get a Port Supply account. Same company but set up for vendors. You may get lucky and be able to set up an account but depends on the person you talk to.

We were lucky and able to set one up but only as we own a business although it is not related to marine supply. 20-40% off retail at westmarine stores.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 05:55   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
When in Florida I ran into a couple of people who had been given deeper than usual discounts at West marine and offered to buy my stuff using their discount. I'm no longer in Florida and would love to have my own "deep discount" account, How do I get one? Do I need to have a vendors license? Can I negotiate with the local WM manager? What is the best rate they will give on that type of account?

I will be spending quite a bit of money between now and spring, and don't wish to haggle over every small purchase to get a lower price.

Eric
You are likely speak of the "Port Supply" account which is available to contractors in the marine industry only. For that one needs a business license and other evidence one is truely in the business and will likely purchase in sufficient volumn to merit the "wholesale" discount. Frankly, you'll do just as well to use WM's "Price Match" policy.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 06:01   #5

Boat: Ohlson 38

Thanks. I had such high hopes...

Just had a thought "ouch"

For 50 bucks or so I can get a business license from the courthouse...this is all I need?
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 06:35   #6

Levels of WM discounts; off the street, internet, blue membership card, gold membership card, Port Supply number 2, Port Supply number 1, varying from 5 - 30%. Defender on the other hand begins 10% less than WM's retail. After wasting a basket of G notes at WM, I've now switched to Defender and have never been happier with my outfitter's account.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 07:00   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Port supply bases your discount on how much you buy EACH YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why I stopped using them......

The discount used to be good....now it is based on the MSRP.....

Not much of a break.

I have associated with smaller suppliers who give me 20% off across the board.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 07:08   #8

Boat: Lagoon 37

WM is beginning to be tougher on the port accounts. I have found that you can price match and get as cheap or cheaper than Port Supply prices. Then you also get the West Marine points, which you don't get with a Port Supply account
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 08:00   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

West has recently instituted a price matching policy. I search the internet for the best price, print it and take it to my West guy. Sometimes he even finds a lower price and I get that. Frequently, the state tax is less than internet shipping and I like to keep local businesses functioning. I never pay West list price for any big ticket items. My local store manager was at the Strictly Sail Chicago last year and even did the same matching after I worked the show for a lot of big stuff. (Muskegon Michigan store)
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 08:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
West has recently instituted a price matching policy. I search the internet for the best price, print it and take it to my West guy. Sometimes he even finds a lower price and I get that. Frequently, the state tax is less than internet shipping and I like to keep local businesses functioning. I never pay West list price for any big ticket items. My local store manager was at the Strictly Sail Chicago last year and even did the same matching after I worked the show for a lot of big stuff. (Muskegon Michigan store)
Depends on the store OR who is on the register that day... I have had to argue that "well they charge shipping" and all that with WM more than once.. I use Defender and its still cheaper. Locally to St. Pete, depending on what I am looking for... I will hit Don's Salvage yard as well.
Port Supply accts are not worth the time to get anymore, not to mention WM has always made them difficult to get due to the discounts they used to offer. I let mine go for the reasons stated above. I can get things cheaper at defender, the discount is based on how much one spends, etc..
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:10   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you need something the same day then print out its internet price and take it to the store. They will match it and you get it today...not week from now, or whatever, from an online discounter.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 10:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If you need something the same day then print out its internet price and take it to the store. They will match it and you get it today...not week from now, or whatever, from an online discounter.
I get two day shipping in a regular basis from Defenders..
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:49   #13

Price matching from the internet is no skin off WM's nose. I always thought it was a good policy until I price shopped their "match or beat by 10%". Almost every online supplier beat WM's "discounted" price. We required respectable pricing for a recent refit and was rewarded by the big "D" for purchasing the majority of our supplies from them. WM was nearly 40% higher, even after a quote. Bottom line, shop for the best deal; money talks in this economy.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:56   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't think WM has even really promoted themselves as the Walmart of marine supplies. I think it great that tey will do the price match, but the real thing is that they have a lot of locations and stuff in stock.
Old 18-12-2011, 16:04   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My local WM will price match - sort of. If I go in and show them the price for Defender or Jamestown Distributors they will match the price but charge me shipping plus sales tax. A lot of times I can find the same product on line without sales tax or shipping. So the price I get from WM is less than they would charge someone off the street but usually more than I would pay on line.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine