Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 15:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII
"Best" manual vacuum oil evacuator?

Hi all,

Was gonna pull the trigger on purchasing something to suck the oil out of my crankcase (Universal M3-20 diesel) as I've already cleaned all the oil out of the bilge that the PO left for me and I'd prefer not to refill it with oil.

Seems the manual (hand pumped) ones are the simplest and less expensive than electric ones.

Reviews on Amazon are mixed, with many 1-star rants even for units that generally get good marks. I guess I could pick the one with the best reviews and write off the bad ones as flukes or lemons (or operator error) - but I thought I'd get some input here.

My engine DOES have a hose attached to where (I believe) to the drain plug is, and old documentation hint that the PO had a West Marine "flat pack" electric oil extractor. He did not leave it with the boat. No idea what size the fitting is, but looks like standard pipe thread I can find at Ace.

Who can endorse what? What gets the Bronx cheer?

Thanks.

(BTW - I did search this forum for similar posts and did not find any. Your mileage may vary. Any relation to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. One per customer.)
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
"Best" manual vacuum oil evacuator?

Go here and look
http://search.defender.com/?expressi...nge%20pump&s=1

I have the Marpac and like it, Downside is it's a big thing to store and carry around with you, but it works great and of course is also the used oil storage, but you can't seal it so don't knock it over.
I also have a drill driven pump that I thought would be the ticket, but it's not nearly as nice as the Marpac, it takes forever, the Marpac pump it up sit down and have a beer.
I would guess you already have the Jabsco hose installed that is also on this page?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:56   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: "Best" manual vacuum oil evacuator?

I have a Fynspray manual pump (WS-208B) and it works fine if the oil is warm.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:01   #4

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

I have the Marpac and like it, Downside is it's a big thing to store and carry around with you, but it works great and of course is also the used oil storage, but you can't seal it so don't knock it over.
I would guess you already have the Jabsco hose installed that is also on this page?
Storage isn't an issue since we don't live aboard and I can secure it upright in my pickup truck 'til I get it home to where I can recycle the oil.

Can't swear to that being the accessory hose installed on my engine, but PO did leave one of those Jabsco hand pumps on the boat. Looks unused. I hate to get it all oily, but it's cheaper to use what I already have than to buy something new.

Only issue would be a catch container, and managing not to have any of the components disconnect at an inopportune time. I hate cleaning up oily bilges....
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:06   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive got a LiquiVac. Compact so stows easily. Manual operation so no juice required. Useful for lots of other things like slurping up bilge gunk.

Only downside is pump has some corrisive parts in it. So, if they get exposed to salt water, like from slurping up bilge gunk, they can corrode. Replacement parts are available though.

Have had it for many years and like it.

http://www.liquivac.com/applications/boat-oil-change/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:13   #6

Boat: valiant 40

We have a qwickchange oil pump permanently mounted, used to work well but the switch internally has failed , we would like to buy a new one but cant find one.7
Old 11-08-2017, 16:13   #7

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

I have a Pela 6000 Oil Pump I used on cars works great on boats.
it's pretty stable comes with plenty of hose to get down the dipstick.

Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:07   #8

Boat: Kaufman 47

Look at Greybeard pumps. I have the oil one and it's small, cheap, and works great. Good pre-purchase customer service too.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:09   #9

Similar to Marpac at Harbor Freight at 1/2 the marine price. Works well.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:30   #10

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Mouth and pipe, transparent. Room temperature oil preferred.

A good chandler has many types
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:41   #11

Here's my take on it. I had an electric installed pump on one boat. It worked quick and well, but it was messy. You have a valve and hoses. The hose to fill the used oil container ends up dripping around the boat. You are also working in a confined space. If you try to make it so you dont have to work confined.... the longer you make that hose, the more oil is left to drip inside it when you are done . All in all I found it a bit messy. I suppose there must be ways to make it better. Also, working confined sometimes the hose to the used oil container would come out and spray all over!

The vacuum type changers you use to suck right out of the dipstick work quite well and hold the oil right inside. You still have to deal with a small hose and dripping a bit. But you can stand outside the engine compartment and get it changed.... and the vacuum sucks most of the oil right out of the hose so drip is minimal.

I also had an electric portable pump I tried on one boat. That was a real nightmare mess.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:52   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

I use a Moeller vacuum fluid extractor. $91 on Amazon. http://amzn.to/2hUAaQg

My guess is you were reading reviews of manual hand pump extractors - the small ones that are like $10-20? I used to have one of those and it was terrible. The larger vacuum chamber extractors are well worth the money. It's easy to pump up, creating a powerful vacuum pressure which sucks the oil out (engine or transmission) through the dipstick hole.
The vacuum chamber pumps tend to have a few low reviews too, but mostly from people who were using them improperly.

You could also probably attach it to a drain plug, but my engine doesn't have one and the dipstick hole is commonly used.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:00   #13

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I just spent two weeks sucking oil out of standby generators, so I have some input.
I use a Mityvac Pneumatic Fluid Evacuator, it has hoses that either go in the dipstick hole, or on generators with oil drain hoses, fits into those hoses. It allows a very clean oil change, I even vacuum the oil out of the filters before I dispose of them. It will suck up any mess, and I vacuum the diesel I catch when changing the fuel filters. Nice and clean. For bigger machines I use a 12V pump to get the new oil in, a lot easier than trying to pour a 5 gallon container of new oil into an engine rocker cover six feet up.

On my boat, the PO installed an oil removal pump connected to a length of 1/4" copper pipe. I stick that down the dipstick hole, turn on the pump, and Voila, all the oil is out of the engine. I find that the easiest and cleanest way. The pumps stays in place, permanently wired, I stick the copper pipe into a holder until the next time. Getting the vacuum container into the engine area is tough and hard to operate.

One thing I have found is the easier the oil change is, the more often you will do it. It's easy to procrastinate when it involves hanging by your ankles.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:13   #14

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

I have used the Harbor Freight pump. It works but is painfully slow. Last oil change I borrowed an electric Jabsco pump and it worked amazingly well. It seems expensive, but to me the electric pump is worth it. By the way, I have 2 454 crusaders and a generator to change. So if you have only one engine, the hand pump may be fine.
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:21   #15

Thumbs up Re: "Best" manual vacuum oil evacuator?

My vote vote goes to the Attwood 5 qt. Works fine.
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil