Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 08:17   #1

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK
Best Foul Weather Gear for the money

I am curious to know what you have for weather gear">foul weather gear? What's the best bang for the buck and where's the best place to get it.

We don't plan on cruising in the lower or higher latitudes, but who knows... I would like to be able to go around Cape Horn someday. We'll see about that later.

Thanks,
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28
Re: Best Foul Weather Gear for the money

Keep your feet dry.
My money is on Dubarrys.
A bit pricey; but well worth the money.
Their commitment to their product and customer service/satisfaction is OUTSTANDING.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:05   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cold and dry is always better than cold and wet. Look at the gear fishermen wear in Maine. Look at what's available from Fisheries Supply in Seattle, they carry fashionable gear, too. Bear in mind that anything breathable may well not keep the water out over 5 years, and I don't really know how to tell the ones that will from those that won't. For me, it's only a matter of luck if it lasts longer. I can't begin to say how many wet cold watches I've had, because the waterproof lining wears out, just goes to heck. However, if your surname is in fact Gill, then look at their gear. My new foulie bibs are Gill, but only a year old, and so far, they are fine. Mostly, the bottoms last longer than the tops.

Ann
Old 13-02-2018, 18:37   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Frog Togs for under $50 at any WalMart of big box store?

Once upon a time i did my laundry, while I was still wearing it, despite cheap foulies. And then was lucky enough to catch the "end of model year, end of season" sale and get some top Henry Lloyd gear, bib pants from one chandlery, jacket from another, both same color so I really didn't care about the details. They were still damned expensive but the hood and collar fit so sweetly, and the rain never gets it or up.

If you can catch "clearance" and still find gear that fits...it makes a huge difference in price.

Or you get the cheap stuff, replace as needed, and hope it keeps you dry. "Camping" hunting and hiking gear all may work pretty well too, depending on what you need from them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:41   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If money is no object I would go with Zhik. If you want to save a couple of bucks then there are some other options, but the Zhik stuff really is better. The downside is they are very proud of their gear and charge like it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:59   #6

I picked up a red Puma Volvo Ocean Race Jacket when the Volvo Ocean Race stopped in Miami some years ago. It was listed for $80 in their popup shop and I should have bought 2 because I think it was incorrectly priced. The best jacket I have had when I compare it to my old West Marine, Gill and I dare say it Helly Hansen. The down fall for the West Marine and the Gill was the rubber wrists and collar sections. They eventually flake away. At least the West Marine Jacket can be turned in once a year as they are guaranteed for life!

I also have a pair of sperry offshore boots. I wear them even in warm weather.

I don't have a favorite bib. They are all good.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, money, weather