Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 18:22   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsailors View Post
FrankZ

I first tie a line to the halyard eye and retrieve the furler traveler, which I'm sure you've done a few times.

Using spare hardware, I attach a snap shackle with a block to the traveler of the furler. I then attach another block to a padeye on the deck that is directly below the furler( luck for me) I guess I could attach to a toerail if I didn't have that.

I then tie off one end of a general purpose line to the same padeye and feed the other end through the block on the traveler and then through the block on the deck. Make sure you have enough line to cover twice the length of your furler.

I then pull the halyard eye back down and attach the sail, and hoist away, easy mon!

Hope this helps

Cheers
I will try to work this out next time I need to raise the sail.

Thank you.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 13:27   #17

Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsailors View Post
I replaced my furler 2.5 years ago on my 1985 Beneteau First 38 after years 3 years of repairing the original.

I went with a CDI ,CDI - Flexible Furlers, model FF9.

It has worked flawlessly and I like it, as the sail halyard is integral with the system, and one bearing.

My only dislike at the start, was raising the sail, but I have worked out a system that makes it easy now.

The sails aren't removed that often, only during hurricane threat

Cheers
So this CDI are they reffers or just furlers? Can you reff them in 40 knots?
Looking to buy one from CDI FF6 nice prices on them.
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 16:10   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
HTML Code:
Hud and others... do you have a detailed inventory of equipment of your boat which is kept at "home".. part model #s , serial #s and so on.. for replacement or insurance purposes?
I keep a detailed list which is constantly update on sizes, brands, dimensions. I take pictures of everyplace on board. It all (except the pictures) end up on my PDA. When I am in the USA and I see something I think would work, I can usually pull the info needed from the PDA or computer.

Something else that works is I keep a shopping list on computer and PDA. Whenever I buy something I just cross it out (using strike through). Sometimes I update the list with more info after we buy it. That way, in a couple of years when I want to buy another, I can look at the shopping list and probably find what I bought. Example pumps, zinc sizes, line sizes etc. Another plus is sometimes I loose track of what I bought last trip and what I did not. If they were removed from list it would not be helpful in figuring that out.

Takes some work, but really works well when you outfit and maintain your boat in different spots around the world like we do.

Gary
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 17:49   #19

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Try this link for Famet http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-23236.html . I've NEVER known anyone to have a problem with the system. Has it's own Halyard too!

I don't have any relationship w/ the company other than I own one. Bullet proof.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 19:15   #20

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I did an impromptu survey last summer at my club because I was going to replace mine. Out of 132 boats, Harken lead the pack 3:1 with Shaeffer next in line. Furlex came third and Profurl a distant 4th or even 5th. My purchase was Harken.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 21:32   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard, JP.

What ever you buy, as a cruiser, you'll probably want a Furler/REEFER. Not all roller-furlers are capable of reefing the sail.
And this is one of the reasons I went with Furlex! As well, being a Machinist, I researched the construction of all the major brands and made my decision on quality of construction. Harken seems to have a lot of commercial hype.

I looked at Harken at the boat show and was not impressed with the way the foil was put together. For that matter I buy very little, to no, Harken stuff unless no one else carries what I need. I prefer Scheafer for general rigging but went with the Furlex for a furler.

I like strong vs. pretty!
Old 05-04-2009, 22:34   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I really think profurl is the best you can get without going fancy electric/hydraulic etc. I never had a single problem with it, never met anyone with a problem with it and met many with problems with other brands.

ps: I see a little more harken than profurl here but profurl is 2nd.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 22:49   #23

I researched all of the furlers on the market, went out and sailed with friends who had the furlers I was looking at and looked at older boats that have been sitting at the marinas for years since finishing an extended tour of the world. I found the furlex to my liking, it is well made and will take abuse with little to no problems. I purchased a furlex 300s for TFW.

mainsail furler- I looked at the main players, in mast, behind the mast, and inboom. I saw the problems with the verticle systems (in mast,behind the mast) as when(not if) it fails you will have no way to reduce sail other than to go up the mast and cut it down. not to mention not having any roach in the sail and having all of the weight up the mast all of the time.

I went to the boat show to see leisurefurl and schaffer, with leisurefurl, clearly the frontrunner in inboom systems, I see a couple of issues
1. drilling a big hole in your mast
2. having a canoe over you r cockpit
3. PRICE
4. the Reps at the boatshow blew me off

shaffer was less expensive but did not have a backup to the furling line.

I called my rigger( northwest rigging inc.) for his opinion, he did some research and came back with pricing on a few units.

profurl - least expensive , but no backup to furling line
furlboom-$1k more than profurl, has backup, low profile
schaffer- most expensive, no backup to furling line.

I went with the furlboom and have no regrets, it is a great system.

if you are in washington and are looking at purchasing any furler, talk with northwest rigging inc. they have done all of my rigging work and have become friends.

I have no commercial interest in any of the systems I have mentioned, but as with any advice is only worth what you have paid for it.
thefilthywhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 23:33   #24

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
What exactly is different in the hardware between a roller furling and a Furler/Reefer? What allows a Furler/Reefer to reef?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 00:18   #25

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
CDI. This might explain a bit. I have the CDI on both the Foresail and Main. They came with the boat and work well so I haven't changed it. The fact that I don't need a dedicated halyard for either since the halyard is built into the reefer has a certain appeal to me. I cruise in among islands and coastal waters alot with often fickle winds. Having systems that alow easy deploment of sails for an old fart that doesn't have a crew is also important since I try to use any small amount of wind available.( hate burning fuel)(cheap) LOL
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
What exactly is different in the hardware between a roller furling and a Furler/Reefer? What allows a Furler/Reefer to reef?
It has more to do with the sail design. But I would imagine the upper and lower bearings would be stronger as well as the foil shape.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:25   #27

Hi Jputman,

living in Germany i can answer you this question easily. I would suggest
a Reckmann. Very good, solid,stabil and light weight roller and reefing.

Reckmann Reefing Systems & Hydraulics

My choice would be this one. We replaced our Profurl because after 11 years there
was no chance to get spareparts.
We where in the choice between Harken and Reckmann. One of the main reasons
was 1. quality, which we personally think is with Reckmann better
2. With a Reckmann it is easier and better to have the sail made becauce with
Harken they have at the bottom a thicker part which makes it harder to have
a good cutted sail specially if you want to reef it
3. Reckmann is lighter than Harken
4. Price difference was not that high that we could'nt make the choice for the better

Well what shall i say, we are since 7 years now very satisfied it is simply working
very, very good ( as expected). We made now about 14.000 miles with it in all
different wind conditions, just great.
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 13:26   #28

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
A rolling furler is designed to stow the sail away. It cannot (or at least should not) be used for reefing as the system is not designed to take the loads.

A furler/reefer allows a sail to be reduced in size by reefing, and can also be used to furl the sail away completely when the sail is no longer required.
Old 07-04-2009, 23:10   #29

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
A rolling furler is designed to stow the sail away. It cannot (or at least should not) be used for reefing as the system is not designed to take the loads.

A furler/reefer allows a sail to be reduced in size by reefing, and can also be used to furl the sail away completely when the sail is no longer required.
Thank you for that explaination, but exactly how do you reef this sail? Is it reefed like a mainsail?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 00:16   #30

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
You reef it by winding in the sail as you would on a furler, the reefer can stand higher loads, that's all. You have infinite reef points.

Tags
furler