Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 09:31   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Best brand of tools for saltwater

Some of the tools on my boat have been on boats (2) for 7 years and are fine. I never have had a tool fail from corrosion and I wouldn't even say corrosion has developed on them. And the tool box I keep them is isn't sealed of anything.
Old 22-04-2016, 09:37   #17

Boat: Catalina 387

Oooh.. I get to disagree with A64pilot.

Yup, the tools on my boat are harbor freight. They've actually been pretty good, only some minor surface rust so far (3 yrs on the boat, and the wrenches and sockets have had lots of SW leaked onto them, I don't do anything to them)

I've got pro-quality tools at home. Matco, Snap-on, lots of older craftsman stuff.

Why cheap on the boat?
#1 I figure it's gonna rust anyway.
#2 Dropping a snap-on ratchet overboard is a costly problem. Drop a HF one overboard and it's an inconvenience.
#3 They get lost more often too (dunno why, must have tools in the bilge or somewhere)
#4 If I need a good tool I bring it from home.

Powertools? Cheap ryobi 18v from home depot. I have a drill, small flashlight, and large spotlight on the boat that all use the same battery. 1 drill was immersed in saltwater and lasted another year before the chuck became unusable. Not bad for a $30 tool.

I don't use anything cheap for electrical work.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:44   #18

When we first bought our boat I thought about where to put my tools. We ended up using the Nav station desk and bought a kitchen utensil separator. It has worked great for 18 years. The tools are handy and kept dry.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:52   #19

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prflyer View Post
Good evening, I just went through the web, youtube and yes did a search on here for this question, what is the best brand for saltwater environment? not power tools, more your everyday wrench, ratchet etc etc. I know budget restrains certain brands and we all have different budgets, but in general if money was not in the equation what do you see as the best brand for tools that hold up in the salt environment? I am in the caribbean, Puerto Rico to be exact if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Dan
No tools like salt water.

I have had snapon, mac, otc, hazet, etc for more than 30 years. Some of these I have on the boat. Mainly just special tools.

I have had good success with home depot, irwin and even some very cheap tools from harbor freight.

Any tool I can buy plastic is preferred. Vernier calipers, rulers, tapes, clamps etc.

I have also had great success with dewalt power tools for more than 15 years.

I still buy good quality where its needed. Tools for the dinghy and for lending are my worn out or cheap rubbish tools.

The duty cycle for my tools now is very low. This means some cheaper tools will last a long time.

My thinking hasn't changed in over 30 years. You can't do good work with the wrong tools or tools that fail. What you need on a boat are all the correct tools to do the job. This means no stillsons for undoing fasteners. Use a proper box end wrench or good socket. Also a hammer is a hammer. Wrenches and other non hammers are not percussion tools.

We are dealing with inanimate objects. Yelling, getting frustrated, etc is a sign of a poor tradesperson. Get the right tool, use it properly and all is good.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:54   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Money not an issue? Snap-on.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Some of the tools on my boat have been on boats (2) for 7 years and are fine. I never have had a tool fail from corrosion and I wouldn't even say corrosion has developed on them. And the tool box I keep them is isn't sealed of anything.
Yeah, cant say I've had much of a problem either... many of my tools have been in a canvas bag for ready use.
The only thing Snap On has advanatage on a boat is they are highly polished... which helps prevent corrosion... but as I said.. not seen much corrosion!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:11   #22

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I have a set of tools from Ampco, mostly silica bronze, cheaper than stainless, and they really don't rust or seize up......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:16   #23

"If your tools are getting rusty you're not using them enough!"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:18   #24

Can't resist an old high school joke.

-Why was Billy Jean King dropped as a spokeswoman for Craftsman tools?

-Because she liked Snap-On ones.

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:22   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

Quality stuff just corrodes and I keep my better tools in a watertight box. I spray some items like cutters and blades with some CRC too.

I love most of my Bahco tools and I would buy more of the same brand without much hesitation. They are not cheap though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:53   #26

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Well, the group responded but apparently have no info to provide re the subject. To the OP - I guess you're on your own for that. A quick check on the web revealed one such provider: Steritool Stainless Steel Open End Wrenches | Bosun Supplies

A quick look at these tools shows you why most folks here use regular tools and keep them clean, dry and oiled. You could buy a whole set of HF tools for the cost of one of these SS tools.

To dannc - did you even read the opening question? The OP specifically asked about non-power tools.
Old 22-04-2016, 10:54   #27

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Saltwater environment means next to nothing. All steel tools require reasonable care. Wiping with oily rag before storing is about all that is necessary. Sealed tool box is also helpful. The basic difference between good and inferior hand tools is not perfectly correlated with price but there is certainly a difference between Sears craftsman and Harbor freight's Chinese imports. When strength is not critical as with a large pipe wrench I tend to buy cheap and keep spares. In my experience a variety of styles sizes in the tool box means a much better chance of saving some effort.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 11:07   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Since wiping with oil has been mentioned. I haven't wiped any of my tools in oil or even washed them off. If they were dirty I cleaned that off, but 90+% of the time I just toss them back into the tool box.

But then for the most part the only tools that get soaked in seawater are the ones that fall over the side. Those probably are rusting away.
Old 22-04-2016, 11:14   #29

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Old Craftsman for sure. In 1952 I bought a socket set, a set of combination wrenches, assorted screw drivers, crescent wrenches, etc. to rebuild a 1947 Crosley. When I started sailing in 1968 (O'Day Day Sailer) these same tools went with me to regattas. I think I was the only skipper at most regattas that even had a full tap and die set. In 1978 I bought a 1971 Cal in San Diego and the same tools went aboard and stayed aboard until I sold the boat a few weeks ago. I seldom did anything to preserve the tools, unless I had dropped them into salt water of course. Then I rinsed them in fresh water, dried them in the sun and sprayed them with anti-corrosion, penetrating oil, WD-40, whatever - different brands over the years. But normally the only preventative was the grease and oil my hands had accumulated doing the work - and wiping them off with a greasy rag to distribute the grease evenly. Most of my tools were in a couple of plastic Craftsman tool boxes, neither waterproof or airtight. A few commonly used tools - a couple screw drivers, a set of nut drivers, 3 crescent wrenches, a couple different pliers - I kept in a drawer by the nav station for quick availability when needed. And the nav station was directly under the usually open hatch. I never had a rust problem on my old Craftsman tools.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 11:30   #30

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

If money is an issue (when isn't it?), look at pawn shops and goodwill-type stores. I have outfitted 2 toolbags of better quality tools - all either USA or Japanese manufacture, commonly Snap-on, Crescent, and Craftsman, which my experience has said are better quality than Chinese, Taiwan, or Indian (most common ones I see) manufactured. I have bought these at a buck or 2 apiece, and keep a list in my phone of any sizes I need to fill in a set, or items I wish to add. This includes screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers and sockets, which to me are your basics.

If I had to leave now, I'd go pick up new a few quality pieces to fill out the set. Tools can last a long time, especially good ones. Harbor Freight isn't bad for many things, (especially if you tend to drop them) but I do like good quality when I can get it, especially when it is inexpensive.
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, water