Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 12:55   #1

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Best ablative bottom paint for the tropics….

I am sure this topic has been tossed around a bit. But I would be interested in the Forums current opinion about the best ablative for the tropics…..

Thanks in advance.

S
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 13:20   #2

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: Best ablative bottom paint for the tropics….

Here in Florida we have had pretty good results with Sea Hawk. Lasted for approximately 2+ yrs
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:20   #3

Any one using Micron (Extra, CSC, Ultra)??

Any of the Microns….. other than Micron 66.

Tx.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:28   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

We've got CSC on our boat right now. Main reason is we're in fresh water (Great Lakes), but will be moving out to the Atlantic in the next year or so. CSC is usable in both fresh and salt, otherwise I'd probably use 66.

No complaints with the CSC so far, although most of our time has been spent on Lake Superior's north shore. Given that we're only seasonal, and the bitterly cold water, I bet you could get away without any antifoul at all. Still, from what I've seen, the CSC is performing well.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:33   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Ameron ABC3. A commercial ablative that does a great job and costs less than $100 a gallon.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Since you asked about the "best" paint for the tropics - if you are talking about the Caribbean, the "best" paint is either Seahawk Islands 44 or Blue Water Paint Caribbean Gold. Those are tin-based paints and illegal in most other places outside the Caribbean. They are also the most widely used paint in the Caribbean.

The OP asked for the "best" paint, so those who want to blast the paints I mention can just hold their breath or go away. I'm not arguing for or against - just stating facts - so don't waste your time.

After those, your more legal good option is really only Micron 66 or Micron 77. All other paints will have problems depending where you are. In the Eastern Caribe, any good bottom paint will probably be OK, and the above mentioned Ameron is a popular less expensive choice - as is Hempel.

Trinidad is a hard paint with many proponents, but I have also witness it being a poor performer in many Caribe places. It does have the advantage of taking a good scrubbing easily, which you will be doing anyway for most paints in the tropics here.

Through Columbia and Panama in the Western Caribe, Ameron and Hempel fail pretty quickly - although they remain popular choices.

Everyone will have a story about every paint. Paint performance is really boat, area and usage dependent. Spending all our time in the Caribbean, I have been very tuned into paint performance, and can only recommend Micron 66 or one of the above tin-based paints for giving you decent performance overall.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:32   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

You asked about Micron extra, I have been using it for the last 3 years. I keep my boat on Marco Island, which has some of the nastiest water for growing stuff around. I wish I could recommend Micron extra but I can't. It has not held up as well as Seahawk has on others boats. I applied 4 coats of extra, 1.5 years ago and 6 to the water line and I dive the boat monthly to clean it. It looks like it needs to be redone right now, so take the advise for what it is worth.

When considering advise you need to take into consideration, condition of the boat when paint was applied, the condition of the water the boat is in. For example, my boat with micron extra on the east coast of FL lasted 4 years and looked better than it does now after only a year and a half.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:17   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Since you asked about the "best" paint for the tropics - if you are talking about the Caribbean, the "best" paint is either Seahawk Islands 44 or Blue Water Paint Caribbean Gold. Those are tin-based paints and illegal in most other places outside the Caribbean. They are also the most widely used paint in the Caribbean. The OP asked for the "best" paint, so those who want to blast the paints I mention can just hold their breath or go away. I'm not arguing for or against - just stating facts - so don't waste your time. After those, your more legal good option is really only Micron 66 or Micron 77. All other paints will have problems depending where you are. In the Eastern Caribe, any good bottom paint will probably be OK, and the above mentioned Ameron is a popular less expensive choice - as is Hempel. Trinidad is a hard paint with many proponents, but I have also witness it being a poor performer in many Caribe places. It does have the advantage of taking a good scrubbing easily, which you will be doing anyway for most paints in the tropics here. Through Columbia and Panama in the Western Caribe, Ameron and Hempel fail pretty quickly - although they remain popular choices. Everyone will have a story about every paint. Paint performance is really boat, area and usage dependent. Spending all our time in the Caribbean, I have been very tuned into paint performance, and can only recommend Micron 66 or one of the above tin-based paints for giving you decent performance overall. Mark
Thank you for your opinion oh mighty one!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:22   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best ablative bottom paint for the tropics….

Jotun Red....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:33   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Thank you for your opinion oh mighty one!
I'm not sure how you meant that comment, but I was just trying to provide my observations while simultaneously attempting to prevent another argument over a certain paint additive. The OP did ask for opinion. I wasn't shooting for high and mighty.

I forgot to mention another paint I have seen perform well, but its availability seems very scarce. That is Jotun SeaQuantum - which is a similar paint to Micron 66 and is a chemically ablative paint. It pops up here and there, but nobody ever seems to have regular stock of it. Other Jotun paints are commonly available, but the SeaQuantum version is the one I have seen work well.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:13   #11

Thanks for the posts guys……

I long for the days when bottom paint was copper based, toxic, and worked.

I now have bottomkote ACT on the boat. Works fine in New England, seasonal conditions. The ablatives are a bit touchy when switching paints. The Microns will work fine. But Micron 66 may be a bit less compatible. Need more prep and then a primer. Its expensive as well….

So as we head south I am looking for an ablative that will work in the tropics and last as long as possible.

Tx.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:33   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

One possible solution may be to wait until you are in a foreign port and get a bottom pain that is illegal in the USA. We have several boats in our marina that came out of the BVI's and Bahaman's that have paint that is 10 years old and still holding up fine. I know it may be illegal to have this paint on in the USA but I have never heard of anyone being fined for having such paint.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Micron Extra. Single coat lasted 3 years with 2/3rd the time in Hawaii and other 1/3rd in SF Bay. Paint needed occasional scrubbing with a soft brush but the hard nasties didn't stick to it. Only reason I repainted after 3 years was the single coat was wearing thin along the water line.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:01   #14

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Sea Hawk Island 44... Made in the good old USA but not allowed to be sold or applied there. It's the one all the Caribbean charter companies use because it lasts longest in warm water.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:28   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The only paint I thought was superior was something sold in OZ in the 90's with a 123 or abc in the label. However, the company was bought out by one of the big brands, and that was the end of the good stuff.

I have used:
Trinidad (disaster--heavy fouling in tropics within 3 months)
Micron Extra (mediocre)
Sea Hawk Coppercoat (mediocre)
Jotun (what I used mediocre, but friends thought SeaQueen was a disaster)
Spanish fishingboat paint ( disaster)
West Marine's CPP+ (mediocre, but just as good as Micron and, Jotun, and Sea Hawk and a lot cheaper)

I put on a Jotun tin-based paint in Thailand, and it wasn't any better than the mediocre copper-based ablatives.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint