Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 13:28   #46

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Re: Best ablative bottom paint for the tropics….

Sounds like discussing TIN based TBT paints is pretty much a waste, one only needs to do a simple search to find out it is not only banned but is so toxic that I can't imagine anyone wanting to use it.

I did find Ameron ABC 3 localy here in Auburn Washington at my local PPG store for 89.50 pr gal. which I thought is a great deal.
Old 13-12-2013, 13:29   #47

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Anybody who has ever used a tin-based anti fouling paint will tell you that it is orders of magnitude more effective at killing fouling organisms than a copper-based paint. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to extrapolate the answer to your frivolous question from that. This isn't a court of law so your "burden of proof" homily is pretty ridiculous. If you are looking for justification to use an illegal paint, I'm sure you'll find some whether or not we waste any more time and electrons trying to convince you otherwise.

Well I have to confess I do have a legal background and my first thought on reading your post was:

"Objection, assuming facts not in evidence."

Since an order of magnitude is 10 and you claim tin based paints are "orders of magnitude more effective" by implication you are saying tin based paints are hundreds or thousands of times more effective than copper based paints. If I thought that was true I might consider using a tin based paint since my current ablative bottom paint will be two years old in May and I will be repainting it then. But I doubt even a tin based paint would last two hundred years, less yet two thousand years.

I also have a hard science background since I was involved in environmental law and even a freshman chemistry student would not try and extrapolate based on your claim.

But my real objection is your accusation that I am trying to justify using a tin based paint on my boat. I am a serious diver who spends lots of time in the water close to my boat and would have real concerns using a tin based paint. I normally find a nice shallow sandbar every month or so and knock the growth off my boat. But before I do this I put on a hood, full wet suit, booties, and full face mask. Even with the traditional ablative paint I use I worry about what I see when I do this. I am sure you have seen much worse since you have more experience than I do knocking growth of boats with a huge range of bottom paints.

My goal is not to justify the use of tin based paint. I am simply trying to find out if and/or how much worse it is than conventional bottom paints.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 13:31   #48

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

OK Gang…..

At this point I have to apologize for the Original Post. I did not mean for it to digress to a tin slinging contest.

I was just trying to get up to speed on Ablatives for warm water….

Sorry…...

w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 13:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Given you made this admission, I would posit that your powers of research far outdo mine, and you would be best left on your own to make the comparisons for which you ask.

Regardless, as has been mentioned, TBT is banned, internationally. Given that, I personally don't want to bother with any comparison, for I don't care to break the law. Nor do I want to compromise my personal morality.
I take this to mean you have no evidence to back up your claim that you posted links I requested.
Old 13-12-2013, 13:33   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
OK Gang…..

At this point I have to apologize for the Original Post. I did not mean for it to digress to a tin slinging contest.

Sorry…...

Good point. I would also be interested in that. I have used Micron in the past but not sure if it is the best or not.
Old 13-12-2013, 13:48   #51
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Well, I can't believe I did his work for him, but here is the International Maritime Organization's case against tBt anti fouling paint. I feel confident that tomfl will find fault with it.

http://www.imo.org/OurWork/Environme...OULING2003.pdf
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 14:23   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
"Good point. I would also be interested in that. I have used Micron in the past but not sure if it is the best or not."

"The best"? The best being the longest lasting? Oh, you mean the best as in the cheapest? Wait, you mean the best in terms of environmental health and safety of course!

"Well I have to confess I do have a legal background and my first thought on reading your post was:" ...legal background - Jailhouse Attorney?

"I take this to mean you have no evidence to back up your claim that you posted links I requested."I for one would be happy to comply w/ your request. Anything else your Majesty?
...Stir many pots lately?
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 14:44   #53

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Best ablative bottom paint for the tropics….

This thread...

The OP;
Quote:
I am sure this topic has been tossed around a bit. But I would be interested in the Forums current opinion about the best ablative for the tropics…..

Thanks in advance.

S
The answer;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Anybody who has ever used a tin-based anti fouling paint will tell you that it is orders of magnitude more effective at killing fouling organisms than a copper-based paint. .......
Asked and answered.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 14:47   #54

Thanks Faith.

Yes I picked up on that as well....
Old 13-12-2013, 15:19   #55
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
OK Gang…..

Sorry…...

Fool! And you have been a member since 2009
Old 13-12-2013, 15:37   #56

LOL....!!!!!!

Yes I should have known better.
Old 13-12-2013, 15:52   #57

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

You guys are too funny, at least I got some good info and a laugh
Old 13-12-2013, 19:04   #58

Boat: Columbia 41

Wooden sailing ships were sometimes clad with copper sheet below the water line. I have seen self adhesive copper foil advertised on craft web sites. I wonder if one could use that in lieu of bottom paint? Say, apply the foil from keel up, stern to bow. Just wondering.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 19:12   #59
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
Wooden sailing ships were sometimes clad with copper sheet below the water line. I have seen self adhesive copper foil advertised on craft web sites. I wonder if one could use that in lieu of bottom paint? Say, apply the foil from keel up, stern to bow. Just wondering.
That would be copper pollution.

Can't even imagine what it would do to the prop/shaft...?????

It would peel like an onion.

Now all I ask ? Is you stop and think about it, before you pose a question. : devil:

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 19:57   #60
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Last year when I bought it, it had gone up to $120 a gal. Few years ago it used to be $80 a gal. As good as CSC etc.
That's funny because the first time we bought it we paid $125 a gallon. Recently we paid a little over $90 a gallon. We purchased from a commercial supplier which may have kept the price down!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint