Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 07:50   #1

Awlgrip Vs Gelcoat

Am ordering a new 40' cruiser. Builder is offering the standard gelcoat or awl grip paint. Trying to make best decision for a down east style boat subject to Florida sun. Recommendations?
crs45500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:01   #2

Re: awlgrip vs gelcoat

I believe Gel coat will last longer
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:07   #3

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

if your life revolves around the pleasures of waxing the hull get gelcoat..

otoh.. Awlgrip is very low maintenance.. in my case in over 5k nm i had spent all of 8hrs polishing the hull once...and even that was discretionary.

A big fan of awlgrip
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:15   #4

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

If you're going to be actively cruising you'll more than likely encounter a few dock dings, piling rubbings, and pier rash from a misplaced bumper or unexpected tides. A painted hull would be easier to repair with a little filler and paint. A gelcoat hull would be more work to repair any damage.

I too am a big fan of the LPU style paints they tend to hold their gloss very well. They also seem to be (in my experience at least) very resistant to scratches, the layer they make is pretty hard. Not soft like an enamel.

Tough choice, I'm not sure what I'd choose.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:06   #5

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Awlgrip does not have the longevity that gelcoat has - not even close. I keep hearing you need a complete new paint job every 10 years. My boat came with awlgrip and is gorgeous but it will cost a small fortune to repaint it. You can repair gelcoat damage fairly easily IME, other than color matching which is an art. Both are easier to match when new and not discolored by weathering. Gelcoat can last the life of the boat if maintained well. If it were me I would get gelcoat. Others will prefer awlgrip.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:22   #6

Factor in all the polishing and waxing to keep up gelcoat and the paint job in 10-15yrs isn't so bad.

Gel will last a long time but takes a lot of work to keep up if you want it shinny. Eventually gel coat does wear out as the polishing gradually wears it away.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 17:02   #7

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

My awlgrip requires polishing at least annually - wiyh the official awlgrip polish/coating. It is easy to use. I do not know if it has any compound that removes part of it or not.

You don't have to use aggressive polishes with gelcoat if you keep it protected with the right products.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 17:53   #8

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I do not believe awlgrip is easier to repair than gel coat.

there are even better paints for repair than awlgrip.

always been a gel coat guy so I will leave the awlgrip versus other paints discussion to those better qualified.

the painter at my marina preferred Imron for easier repairs but awlgrip for durability.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 17:54   #9

If the boat was white I'd probably go gelcoat but if it was a darker color and I lived in a sunny climate I would use awlgrip.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 19:48   #10

Boat: In Between Boats

Awlgrip or any paint cannot be "brought back" is has to be redone and that's expensive. I would suspect it would be far cheaper to pay someone to maintain your gelcoat at peak shine than it would be to pay for a repaint of awlgrip.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 19:57   #11

Try bringing back a dark blue hull after a few years in the tropics, it lasts a couple of months and you get to start all over again.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:16   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Awlgrip Vs Gelcoat

And I'll bet the builder charges a lot less for Awlgrip than for gelcoat.

I've always heard "once you paint the hull, you will have to repaint it every ten year" and yes, Awlgrip counts as "paint". OTOH gelcoat can make 30-40 years easily, as long as you wax it once in a while to prevent chalking.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:34   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
And I'll bet the builder charges a lot less for Awlgrip than for gelcoat.
Why would that be, HS? Gel coat is a one pass spray inside the mold, while doing a decent paint job involves a lot of prep, sanding, priming and finally painting several coats.

For original build, I'd think Gel would be much cheaper (geeze, they even use it on Hunters and Bennies!).

Jim
Old 24-03-2016, 03:43   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, crs.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 05:28   #15

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Gelcoat scratches and gouges are easier and cheaper to repair than Awlgrip, if you go with gelcoat, have the builder supply several quarts of matching gel. I can repair a good scratch in an hour, especially having pre-matched gel.

Awlgrip repairs, require application of primer (545) then 2-3 topcoats a day apart. If sprayed could go faster. It should not be compounded in, although I have seen this done, it creates another problem. To "hide" the repair...it is common to paint a panel, sheer to boot. A small spot will nearly always show. You will see the repair.

If you leave a wet cushion, towel, rag, leaves...leave a fender hanging against the hull, trapping water...whatever, on Awlgrip...it will blister and bubble wrecking finish.

Awlcraft 2000 can be repaired, buffed in and hide as it it acrylic...but it is spray only.

Once painted with Awlgip and you are certain it is Awlgrip (same applies to other Lpu brands over themselves) it can be sanded with 400 grit, any small repairs done with 545 (with topcoat build coat) and directly painted without a full prep and full coat with 545 primer. With one topcoat...much cheaper than full conversion.

If it were me I would have gelcoat...hands down, and I paint.

AwlCare is the protectant, great product...use it on my car.

Curious what mineret will say...

Congrats on new boat!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat