Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 06:31   #1

Angry Avoid Rig -Rite!

Dear fellow sailors,

In the process of attempting to share my bad experience with Rig-Rite , Inc., not only have I found that the number of disappointed customers are LEGION, but in fact, boaters have been having BAD experiences with Rig-Rite for YEARS!

The gal who runs this outfit seems to wear all hats, but no matter the function, she is habitually rude, has a "I don't give a F*#@k" attitude and then hangs up on you! One has to ask, how in the world does she stay in business???

Please do yourself a favor and seek your parts elsewhere. Otherwise you'll wind up wasting your time and money.
star2steerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:51   #2
cruiser

Re: Avoid Rig -Rite!

Just so you know,

anyone with a modicum of Internet forum experience always views one-time/first-time posts, which denigrate a service or product, as suspect.

RR is a PITA but I've seen worse. Go deal with Wichard (and its various companies). You'll have a fun time.
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:50   #3

You make a valid point.
While admittedly, my experience re. web forum postings is limited, my motivation was simply to inform and hopefully, save some people from going through the same frustrating experience I (and apparently many others) had gone through.

Fair Winds!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by star2steerby View Post
You make a valid point.
While admittedly, my experience re. web forum postings is limited, my motivation was simply to inform and hopefully, save some people from going through the same frustrating experience I (and apparently many others) had gone through.

Fair Winds!
Yes, but your post is completely devoid of any detail on the issues you've had, so I am therefore simply going to assume that you're a troll. If you want to be taken seriously, facts are usually a good place to start.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:54   #5

Troll huh? Hmmm. Haven't been called that since I read "Billy Goats Gruff" to my kids, but I fear in admitting this , I've truly dated myself.

First, I need to point out that the Rig-Rite, Inc. I'm referring to is located in Warwick, RI. They, as far as I know, are not affiliated with any other company (there are several) that bare the same name.

It was pointed out to me that my criticism of them was woefully devoid of facts and so, lacked credibility. In reading thru it again I admit, it was. I also must admit that when I wrote it, I was angry and was simply venting. My bad.

SO, the facts or the story are: this past week, in attempting to do business with Rig-Rite, Inc. I first found them they way most of us find companies we wish to do business with; on the internet. They have a very impressive web-page and presentation so I sent them a quote form on some gudgeons I was looking for.
I was informed that they would be back to me shortly. Usually when a company is not able to respond soon, they send an email acknowledging receipt of your request and indicate when they will respond. After receiving no response, I waiting a couple of days and called them. I was informed that all order takers were on another line but if I would leave my contact info and the part number, I would be contacted (again) shortly. I did and (again) received no response. That weekend I called again several times, always being told that order takers were busy on other lines so I didn't see any point in leaving another message. Monday morning arrived and at 8:05 am, I called yet again and yet again and yet again...well..you know the story. After several more attempts a female voice answers and I'm thinking " Thank goodness, a live human being!!! " Before I could say "Hello!", the voice put me on hold. Ok, it happens. After all, they're running a business and it's Monday morning, a very busy time. But when she picked up the line a few minutes later and said,"yeah?"...I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a very pleasant experience for either of us. When I told her that I had previously wrote and called seeking a quote on the gudgeons, she was familiar with my attempts to communicate but made no apologies for not getting back to me. She then informed me that I should probably hear back in a week or so regarding their availability... "You mean to say, that it'll take at least a week for someone to walk out and look in a box to see if you have the parts you advertise on your website?" I asked incredulously. "CLICK!" was all I heard.
Ok. Everyone has a bad day once in a while. Maybe even a bad week. Some people may have even missed the "Why It's IMPORTANT To Be Courteous To The Customers" training video. But then I then Googled Rig-Rite, Inc. and was directed to the Sailnet community and Cruisers Forum and read what others had written of their experiences and it was almost identical. These complaints went back several years in some cases. Now as a former business owner, I know you never get a second chance to make a first impression. The money that the owner has been losing by keeping this individual employed ...well if it were up to me...this "liability" would be long gone.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:56   #6

Boat: PT-11

I have for one have been burned to the tune of approx. 200 dollars by Rig-Rite.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 13:18   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I am astonished you gave them that many opportunities. Why, there must be other suppliers surely.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 16:32   #8

Boat: PT-11

They actually have a few niches where they are the sole US distributor of somewhat rare items, in my case Moonlight hatch parts.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 17:28   #9

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

I recommend that anyone needing blocks, shackles or other metal parts contact Garhauer. If they don't have it they will make it. If it breaks (very rare) they fix it or replace it. No hassle. Just a great company to work with.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 16:52   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

My recent experience with Rig Rite was excellent

I noticed this thread shortly after placing my request for a quote through their website this past Sunday. I needed a replacement cap for the water fill on our Lipari.

Monday morning I received an email with their quote. I called and spoke with a pleasant woman who took my CC info. Hour later had a confirmation email from UPS that my package was on the way.

Today I received my part. Can't imagine how they could have done better.

Only time I have dealt with them.

For what it's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mbuckely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 18:10   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Two sides to every story. Unfortunately, we will never hear Rig Rite's.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 18:21   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
I recommend that anyone needing blocks, shackles or other metal parts contact Garhauer. If they don't have it they will make it. If it breaks (very rare) they fix it or replace it. No hassle. Just a great company to work with.
Yes but you get what you pay for. I think I saw a new Hunter or something with all Garhauer hardware. I have a bunch of their stuff too. It looks like their manufacturing methods are labor intensive. They must have cheap labor, are they located along the US Mexico border somewhere?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 19:11   #13

Boat: Pearson 281

I just had a very posative experience with them last month.

It is true that they will often have niche parts otherwise difficult or impossible to find.

I ordered 5 regular length NavTech screws that are intended for use with NavTech's turnbuckle system. Pearson used NavTech in the 70s for rigging the 28-1. I knew from experience that the screws needed replacement and was relieved to find that RigRite had them,. I found the sizing info on their website, confirmed that the screws were the correct size, got the part numbers and called.

The phone was answered promptly if a bit dryly by a young woman who was immediately cheered by the fact that I had the part numbers ready. The experience up to that point reminded me of ordering over the phone from a, I dunno, a welding shop or something or the metals place where I've bought aluminum and copper plate.
Anyway... she quickly checked availability, got back to me and we concluded the purchase.

When I recieved the order I found that one of the screws had suffered some abuse before being returned to them. I E-mailed the person I originally dealt with asking for a swap. She was back to me that day with a shipping number to return the screw, informing me that the replacement was being shipped Fed X that day. I recieved it in two days... (I'm in SoCal) probably before my package had even reached them.

A bit dry (rather that than the perky!) but very accomodating, proffessional and efficient in my book
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 19:30   #14

I've dealt with RigRite three or four times over the past several years. Their practices are a little archaic and the website is not exactly user friendly, but in each case I found what I needed in their catalog and ordered the product. Shipping, packing, timeliness and price were fine. I'd deal with them again if they have what I need.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 21:30   #15

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Yes but you get what you pay for. I think I saw a new Hunter or something with all Garhauer hardware. I have a bunch of their stuff too. It looks like their manufacturing methods are labor intensive. They must have cheap labor, are they located along the US Mexico border somewhere?
Methinks the shop is in Southern California. Only drawback to Garhauer stuff is it's heavy - not the thing for racers. I absolutely love every single thing that I have ever got from them. I'd say it's top notch stuff. Not as zoomy as top-end harken stuff, but it's not gonna break either.

Never dealt with rig-rite.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote