Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 08:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Avoid Rig -Rite!

The Garhauer folks are awesome. They made a couple custom fiddle blocks (that were not actually fiddle blocks but similar) for our running back stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-07-2016, 09:07   #17

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I have a Kenyon spar and boom. I had a question on the configuration and parts of the gooseneck. I called Rig-Rite to ask a couple of questions. Basically the "lady" who answered my call was pretty rude and unhelpful. She didn't seem to care if I had some problem with their product or not. I was very disappointed I can tell you. So I'll add this to the mix for what it is worth. I would call them again if I had to but my expectations would be very low. I will attempt to never have to call them though. I would have to be at the bitter end of my rope before I would do so.

P.S. I have had excellent dealings with Garhauer. I don't care for their product website so much but that is just a presentation thing. Their customer service, prices, and quality are tops in my opinion.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 09:43   #18

I once place an order with Rig-Rite. My post-ordering experience was the same as I've come to expect from all internet retailers: perfect!
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 11:46   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I think if Rig-Rite has what you need at a price you're willing to pay and you don't need to ask a lot of questions you're probably going to be happy with their products. There's quite an art to dealing with difficult boat bits over the phone. Whether one is the customer or the vendor sometimes it's just difficult for one party or the other in the transaction. They've been around a long while and do carry some unique products.
Old 13-07-2016, 12:56   #20

Boat: Pearson 281

Spot on Schooner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:33   #21

Of course, my one time experience may have just got someone on an off day. They are the only source for some products. I have some pretty high expectations with actual real time and even internet conversations though.

Good to hear that others have had a good experience.
Old 15-07-2016, 07:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by star2steerby View Post
......She then informed me that I should probably hear back in a week or so regarding their availability... "You mean to say, that it'll take at least a week for someone to walk out and look in a box to see if you have the parts you advertise on your website?" I asked incredulously. "CLICK!" was all I heard.
Boy, I don't what to tell you. In the many dealings that I have had with Rig-Rite, I had/have never been treated like that. In fact quite the opposite.
This is very odd. Odd enough that I even looked up the site to make sure that we are talking about the same company.

However, sometimes it does take a few try's to make contact. I just chalk it up to a small business trying to reduce overhead with minimum staffing.

Not to defend rudeness, but while seeking out some obscure, long obsolete rigging part/s, they did tell me that they would have to get back to me in a few days. They would have to go to some storage location/unit and go through some boxes to see if they still had it.
I was quite happy with the fact that somebody thought that they might have the part. Was more than willing to wait a few days or what ever time it took, to make sure.

Judging from other's comments also, I'm going to have to say that Rig-Rite might have just been having a bad week.
Shame that you had to be their sounding board.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 03:55   #23

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Just to keep this thread updated, waited all summer for the fabrication of a Kenyon boom end and after 5'months of being led on I was told it was not going to happen! These people have a boat load of issues with their business model
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 06:10   #24

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We tried rig rite, can't say as I would recommend them.

From what I have seen they have been a boon to other rigging companies.

You just can't by the kind of advertising that a company like rig rite supplies for their competitors.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 06:35   #25

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

I started with Rig-Rite, found much of the same and was directly to Garhauer by CF.
Wow!! Huge difference. They made me a new traveler for my 82 Cape Dory. They returned phone calls, actually called me with questions, talked me through what i was trying do, looked at pictures I sent and made recommendations etc etc.. The new traveler arrived, installed perfectly into the old holes and works like a champ.
Garhauer is my new best boat friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3930.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	157737  
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 06:54   #26

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by star2steerby View Post
Troll huh? Hmmm. Haven't been called that since I read "Billy Goats Gruff" to my kids, but I fear in admitting this , I've truly dated myself.

First, I need to point out that the Rig-Rite, Inc. I'm referring to is located in Warwick, RI. They, as far as I know, are not affiliated with any other company (there are several) that bare the same name.

It was pointed out to me that my criticism of them was woefully devoid of facts and so, lacked credibility. In reading thru it again I admit, it was. I also must admit that when I wrote it, I was angry and was simply venting. My bad.

SO, the facts or the story are: this past week, in attempting to do business with Rig-Rite, Inc. I first found them they way most of us find companies we wish to do business with; on the internet. They have a very impressive web-page and presentation so I sent them a quote form on some gudgeons I was looking for.
I was informed that they would be back to me shortly. Usually when a company is not able to respond soon, they send an email acknowledging receipt of your request and indicate when they will respond. After receiving no response, I waiting a couple of days and called them. I was informed that all order takers were on another line but if I would leave my contact info and the part number, I would be contacted (again) shortly. I did and (again) received no response. That weekend I called again several times, always being told that order takers were busy on other lines so I didn't see any point in leaving another message. Monday morning arrived and at 8:05 am, I called yet again and yet again and yet again...well..you know the story. After several more attempts a female voice answers and I'm thinking " Thank goodness, a live human being!!! " Before I could say "Hello!", the voice put me on hold. Ok, it happens. After all, they're running a business and it's Monday morning, a very busy time. But when she picked up the line a few minutes later and said,"yeah?"...I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a very pleasant experience for either of us. When I told her that I had previously wrote and called seeking a quote on the gudgeons, she was familiar with my attempts to communicate but made no apologies for not getting back to me. She then informed me that I should probably hear back in a week or so regarding their availability... "You mean to say, that it'll take at least a week for someone to walk out and look in a box to see if you have the parts you advertise on your website?" I asked incredulously. "CLICK!" was all I heard.
Ok. Everyone has a bad day once in a while. Maybe even a bad week. Some people may have even missed the "Why It's IMPORTANT To Be Courteous To The Customers" training video. But then I then Googled Rig-Rite, Inc. and was directed to the Sailnet community and Cruisers Forum and read what others had written of their experiences and it was almost identical. These complaints went back several years in some cases. Now as a former business owner, I know you never get a second chance to make a first impression. The money that the owner has been losing by keeping this individual employed ...well if it were up to me...this "liability" would be long gone.
It's always difficult to judge these things, as there are usually other customers who've had positive experiences, which seems to be the case here. I wasn't there and I could be wrong; but at some point, I think you ticked the lady off, perhaps by pointing out her poor customer service up to that point. Flies like honey more than vinegar, and so do people. In your defense, we all get a bit indignant at times when we feel we're being blown off. I've found that if I haven't yet paid any money, it's best to move on to another (hopefully more responsive) business when I reach that point. Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience, we all have them.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 07:11   #27

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
It's always difficult to judge these things, as there are usually other customers who've had positive experiences, which seems to be the case here. I wasn't there and I could be wrong; but at some point, I think you ticked the lady off, perhaps by pointing out her poor customer service up to that point. Flies like honey more than vinegar, and so do people. In your defense, we all get a bit indignant at times when we feel we're being blown off. I've found that if I haven't yet paid any money, it's best to move on to another (hopefully more responsive) business when I reach that point. Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience, we all have them.
Would love to hear about your positive experience with these people but up here in New England where they are located they have a terrible reputation from other people in the business (i am sure it is jealousy lol) which I wish i knew before wasting the summer on them! Once again the reason for putting out the word to other cruisers is to save them from being lured in by their website and just sharing my personal experience trying them out
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 07:35   #28

I never purchased anything from them, but got a quote for a sealgull opening port and was shocked at the price! It took them about a week to get back to me.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 09:59   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
All I can say is that when I tried to deal with them I was the perfectly polite customer. I didn't get snarky, or sarcastic, or demanding, or anything negative. I could not do anything to make the conversation positive from the other side. I've worked in many a similar type parts company, and dealt with far more, and it has been my experience that sometimes some people are put in their customer "service" position that don't have the aptitude or attitude that such a demanding job requires. Like I said, it was only my one experience with them but it was so bad I will have a part custom fabricated at huge expense to avoid contacting them again. I am happy for those of you who have had very positive experiences with Rig-Rite. It can take only one really negative experience to cause great harm though.
Old 15-10-2017, 10:28   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've bought things from them, but they are my last resort and I don't hold high expectations. For the Isomat parts I got, they were the only alternative I found to fabrication.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote