Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-07-2016, 08:47   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Avoid Rig -Rite!

The Garhauer folks are awesome. They made a couple custom fiddle blocks (that were not actually fiddle blocks but similar) for our running back stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 09:07   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I have a Kenyon spar and boom. I had a question on the configuration and parts of the gooseneck. I called Rig-Rite to ask a couple of questions. Basically the "lady" who answered my call was pretty rude and unhelpful. She didn't seem to care if I had some problem with their product or not. I was very disappointed I can tell you. So I'll add this to the mix for what it is worth. I would call them again if I had to but my expectations would be very low. I will attempt to never have to call them though. I would have to be at the bitter end of my rope before I would do so.

P.S. I have had excellent dealings with Garhauer. I don't care for their product website so much but that is just a presentation thing. Their customer service, prices, and quality are tops in my opinion.

Old 13-07-2016, 09:43   #18

I once place an order with Rig-Rite. My post-ordering experience was the same as I've come to expect from all internet retailers: perfect!
Old 13-07-2016, 11:46   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I think if Rig-Rite has what you need at a price you're willing to pay and you don't need to ask a lot of questions you're probably going to be happy with their products. There's quite an art to dealing with difficult boat bits over the phone. Whether one is the customer or the vendor sometimes it's just difficult for one party or the other in the transaction. They've been around a long while and do carry some unique products.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 12:56   #20

Boat: Pearson 281

Spot on Schooner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Of course, my one time experience may have just got someone on an off day. They are the only source for some products. I have some pretty high expectations with actual real time and even internet conversations though.

Good to hear that others have had a good experience.
Old 15-07-2016, 07:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by star2steerby View Post
......She then informed me that I should probably hear back in a week or so regarding their availability... "You mean to say, that it'll take at least a week for someone to walk out and look in a box to see if you have the parts you advertise on your website?" I asked incredulously. "CLICK!" was all I heard.
Boy, I don't what to tell you. In the many dealings that I have had with Rig-Rite, I had/have never been treated like that. In fact quite the opposite.
This is very odd. Odd enough that I even looked up the site to make sure that we are talking about the same company.

However, sometimes it does take a few try's to make contact. I just chalk it up to a small business trying to reduce overhead with minimum staffing.

Not to defend rudeness, but while seeking out some obscure, long obsolete rigging part/s, they did tell me that they would have to get back to me in a few days. They would have to go to some storage location/unit and go through some boxes to see if they still had it.
I was quite happy with the fact that somebody thought that they might have the part. Was more than willing to wait a few days or what ever time it took, to make sure.

Judging from other's comments also, I'm going to have to say that Rig-Rite might have just been having a bad week.
Shame that you had to be their sounding board.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: