Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 20:11   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Atrocious Service from Defender

I think part of the meat of the problem was the quality. It is hard to judge quality over the internet. I like the way Amazon does it, by offering reviews by others who have purchased the item. Could Defender offer a similar system? That way I at least get a good or bad vibe. One way I do it now it get a Practical Sailor review and buy what they suggest. But I still end up with things that don't really work for my boat- just the nature of the beast I guess.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:53   #62

In the marine market, it takes years to get to know who sells good stuff and who doesnt. Polyplanar doesnt sell good stuff. IMHO. The OP should just mark it up to the learning curve. Carefully repack them and send them back. I think businesses like Defender have the responsibility to encourage customer reviews and NOT SELL products that consistantly get poor reviews. Yeah, I know... I'm probably dreaming...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:07   #63

Boat: Bristol 35.5

I just read through this thread and have a few comments:
1) I have also found Defender to be accomodating with their service and help.
2) I have also dealt with Poly-Planar customer service. On both occassions, they were pleasant, helpful and upstanding. Their speakers are not high fidelity but neither are their prices and I have found them to hold up well in my often rain soaked cockpit. Indeed, better than other brands of inexpensive "all weather" speakers. I will buy them again in the future.

Just one sailor's experience and opinion.
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:02   #64

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum Stephan, thank you for coming up and responding.
Old 22-02-2013, 13:14   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Yes, I am listening. Moonpie, tried to reach you by phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
... Moonpie's speakers received a call tag and he will be issued a full refund...
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Stephan.

Thanks for listening, responding, and initiating an effective solution.
Once again, you've demonstrated why your EXCELLENT reputation is so well deserved (earned)!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:16   #66

My experiences with Defenders has always be very positive. Having said that I am certain that they screw up and no one would be perfect.

I've taken to buying a lot of stuff a small father and son chandlery who will get anything on special order... available from big suppliers. Some stuff I use Defenders and some internet suppliers. I prefer the personal service to the big guys... and don't mind paying a bit more for it. That's value added!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:31   #67

Boat: Ohlson 38

I'm not sure if we've ever purchased anything from Defender or not, but I'm impressed enough with their response that I expect I'll be a regular customer from now on.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:47   #68

I am always encouraged to deal with businesses that are proactive and not afraid to speak up. Too many businesses treat customers like a necessary evil.

Bravo to the Stephens.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:48   #69

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Can't say enough good things about,like when you need a head pump overnight, or when you have a problem with a company like Walker Bay that Defender does'nt handle anymore but still works to correct.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:57   #70
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Me too, Always get a perfect service from them.
Me three. Over the past ten years, I have placed more than two dozen orders with Defender. Everything has arrived on time and as I ordered. However, I have never bought any electronics from them. I would think that after anything electronic is installed most mail order houses would say its between you and the manufacturer. I don't usually bother to defend companies, but Defender has on many occassions been so reasonable in their pricing I have developed a certain degree of loyalty to them. If you are around Waterford during their annual warehouse clearing sale its worth taking a day to go there.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:05   #71
TEE

Let me give you just one example of why I buy from Defender. Take today's prices on a 90mm Lewmar Double Syncro block. Defenders price: $100.00 West Marines price $177.00. Check it out if you don't believe me. Compare the prices between the two on Amsteel line while your at it, AND, Defender does not gouge you on shipping fees.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:18   #72
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
Let me give you just one example of why I buy from Defender. Take today's prices on a 90mm Lewmar Double Syncro block. Defenders price: $100.00 West Marines price $177.00. Check it out if you don't believe me. Compare the prices between the two on Amsteel line while your at it, AND, Defender does not gouge you on shipping fees.
Yes well, I believe I saw that block as a special price item at Defender... they also list it at their regular price.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:26   #73

Boat: Hunter 340

I have made many orders through Defender and NEVER had any problems at all. Their service and product line is fabulous.
The End
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:37   #74

Boat: Cape Dory

FWIW,
I've recently had some bad experience with Defender. Generally they were my first choice. I first try to buy from the local WM (price matched) if an item is in stock just to support the stores, but beyond that, I'd default to Defender. If there price was competitive, they got my order because the service had been good and their ground shipping arrived the following day. Last fall I called them from the road for 3 parts and they advised on each one and I made the order based on their recommendation -- including expedited shipping to my boat's location. The parts were wrong (in ways in which only they could have known and in 2 of the 3 cases in ways which they should have known). I asked for replacement parts ASAP and also a return shipping label and got tons of flak. Eventually had to order the replacement parts at my expense, return the parts (only 2 of which they credited me for) also at my expense. I have a small credit with Defender. Once it is spent, I won't buy from them again unless I have a specific reason to do so (best price, unique item etc). There are just too many other good options and Defender didn't do the job as I expected when it counted.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:23   #75

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Two things:

1) Always use a credit card to buy anything. If you are not happy with the product (legitimately please) and the company is not willing to work with you to solve the problem - have the charges reversed.

2) If the company won't take the item back because they are opened but you "just do not like them" most credit card companies have their own protection and will return your money if you send the item into them. Of course, it needs to be worth shipping.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service