Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15   #16

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: %@!&^$#$%^*%

I need a proofreader . . .
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19   #17

Re: Atrocious Service from Defender

Speaker-buying can be a real hassle. The final sound and overall satisfaction depends on the design, manufacture, installation, the space, the amp etc etc. A decent speaker will sound crappy in an inappropriate installation. Personally I would never buy a set of serious speakers without first seeing and listening to them.

[also, physics imposes a limit on how much bass you will get out of a small speaker, in a small space]

To moonpie: if the installation didn't damage the speakers or brackets, and your EQ experiments haven't blown them, then the simplest course of action is to just return them to Defender for refund/exchange. If there's any fuss about the delay in returning them, you can point to your unsatisfactory call with "Scott" to establish the timing.

If you're really after the best sound possible, you should work with a local dealer who will let you audition speakers before committing to them. And... you usually get what you pay for.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35   #18

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Moonpie, I usually have no problem with Defender. However, I emailed them and called them in the last 4 weeks to get pricing on a product that they would special order from one of their regular vendors. They have not returned either my email or call. I wonder what is going on there. And I have been buying from them for about 8 years.

I would go up the ladder. As a whole they are a great organization. You may have gotten the new guy.

Anyway, I had the exact same problem with my Polyplanar speakers purchased from Amazon. Return was no problem. I bought these instead and they sound 1000% better than teh PPs. They are also 1/3 the price.

Amazon.com: PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White): Car Electronics
I agree that the few times I have bought there, they were helpful. Now, consider those POS speakers - they are actually rated a 5/5 on Amazon. Yet, you both consider them POS. Did you guys solder the wire? I'm wondering if a poor connection could be to blame. Now that's no excuse for a rude customer service rep, who should patiently explain the process and make you happy so you don't start buying at west marine, but if your not soldering them, how do you know they don't work?
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:37   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Been buying from Defender for years. Never had any return problems even after 8 months.
Defender has always been great.

Moonpie, Please do not buy a new boat. You will drive us nuts.
Speakers are a walk in the park compared to a new boat purchase.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:47   #20

Boat: Skookum 53'

If he were to solder them, how could he get a refund/return?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:53   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
We've always had very good service from Defender.
+1
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59   #22

FWIW ... I also had nothing but good experience with Defender, including return of handheld VHF radios with clicking noise reception. The radio got replaced once, and the second unit was returned for a full refund after it sounded the same way.

With electronics, and especially with the units that were mounted and installed already, it's a judgement call. In most cases you take it to the manufacturer, be it Apple store or BMW dealer or some other manufacturer's authorized support/service facility, for repair or replacement.

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation, and I somehow hope it will get resolved to your satisfaction ... just keep your head cool ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:09   #23

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
If he were to solder them, how could he get a refund/return?
can you ever get a good connection w/o solder? I guess maybe, but I wouldn't want to worry about those connections after every wave I hit...
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:25   #24

Boat: O'day 302, 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
NO ONE . . . in their right mind, wants to deal with a manufacturer with an Items that barely made it out of a box.

I would think it obvious, that the quality of the speakers would be unknown, except for "obvious", damage, until someone hoods the speakers up to a stereo.

I would also think that in most applications for a vehicle(& especially a boat), the speakers would have to be installed to be hooked up.

I understand having had speakers for a while and then having problems and THEN having to deal with the manufacturer, but this isn't the case here.

I would also wonder why would anyone in their right mind buy ANYTHING from a retailer if any and all problems had to be resolved with the manufacturer?

Especially since, dealing with a manufacturer, who no doubt, is not set up to deal directly with retail buyers, packaging, postage, time and delays.

I would say that if defender can't stand in for their retail customers, they should get out of the business of selling retail, for this one aspect of retail sales that customers really need, expect and deserve.
Thank you!

Guys - I understand your loyalty for defender.

I simply came here to vent and for a little support.

I wish my experience with a return would have been a pleasant transaction, but it wasn't. Is it simply impossible to believe that I got a guy that was unhelpful or rude? Or is defender and everyone that works for them 100% beyond reproach.

The guy was seriously unhelpful. I kept my cool and heard him out, explained myself well, and in the end, feel like I got stiffed. I am not one of those "the customer is always right" type of person, but the person I spoke to was very unhelpful and did not resolve the issue.

I'm glad you all love Defender and have had great experiences with them. I wish this was my story too. Oh, to someone's logic, I can't complain unless I have a couple hundred more orders with them
Moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Been buying from Defender for years. Never had any return problems even after 8 months.
Defender has always been great.

Moonpie, Please do not buy a new boat. You will drive us nuts.
Speakers are a walk in the park compared to a new boat purchase.
Thanks for your support. You work for Defender?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:31   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

I have to ask? Why when you are a member of a forum would you not ask about the sound quality of Poly Planar here first?

Poly Planar serves a good role in the marine industry and that is they rarely change their designs. So, when the speakers wear out or die the new ones drop right in even 10 years out. Sony, Clarion and others will change the design next week so that when you need to replace you're modifying holes etc. etc.... Everything is a trade off...

The one thing Poly Planar is not known for is sound quality. I suspect if you asked about sound quality here first you never would have purchased them only to find out the sounded like crap....

As for Defender A+++++++++ service for more than 20+ years...
Old 12-02-2013, 13:05   #27

Boat: Pearson 422

Recent example re Defender customer service. I ordered 8 louvered doors: 4 lefts, 4 rights. Received 8 lefts, 4 of which were in bags marked right. Bummer! Called customer service. They checked with manufacturer, immediately sent 4 rights, called and emailed a couple times each to make sure they arrived and were correct.

Not thrilled the doors were wrong to start with. But definitely handled extremely well once I called.

Understand the need to vent. I vented some to the customer service rep I called. They listened, empathized and responded very well.

My 0.02
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:08   #28

So Scott calls me back and gives me the number for Poly Planar. I call them and they tell me I have to ship the speakers to them. Unsatisfied, I called Defender and got a helpful lady who is going to issue me a refund. That's all I wanted. Actually, I would have taken an exchange, but I'll just take a refund and shop elsewhere.

I don't think it's unreasonable that I wanted a refund or exchange when I received blown speakers upon arrival.
Old 12-02-2013, 13:09   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
Recent example re Defender customer service. I ordered 8 louvered doors: 4 lefts, 4 rights. Received 8 lefts, 4 of which were in bags marked right. Bummer! Called customer service. They checked with manufacturer, immediately sent 4 rights, called and emailed a couple times each to make sure they arrived and were correct.

Not thrilled the doors were wrong to start with. But definitely handled extremely well once I called.

Understand the need to vent. I vented some to the customer service rep I called. They listened, empathized and responded very well.

My 0.02
Glad you had a great experience with them, and can only wish I had the same. Perhaps Scott was having an off day.
Old 12-02-2013, 13:10   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I'm surprised. I've always had good experiences with Defender, including the time that the UPS guy said that he delivered $200 worth of goods to our house, but either he actually did not, or it got stolen from our doorstep before we got home. In either case, Defender replaced it without any delays.
Me too, Always get a perfect service from them.

Tags
service