Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2018, 16:09   #61

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Are there North American sailors out there willing to contribute to Zulu Waterway

Just adding some PNW entries. Some suggestions:
  • A way to move the icon if you misplace it.
  • Make the Preferred Icon drop down text aware so I can just type "ma..." to get marina rather than having to scroll.
  • Fix that irritating bug where I can't see the Post button without reselecting the icon dropdown :-)
  • Add propane to marina options

Oh and add to garbage/recycling marinas as well...
Old 24-03-2018, 19:15   #62
Marine Service Provider

Re: Are there North American sailors out there willing to contribute to Zulu Waterway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Just adding some PNW entries. Some suggestions:
  • Make the Preferred Icon drop down text aware so I can just type "ma..." to get marina rather than having to scroll.
  • Fix that irritating bug where I can't see the Post button without reselecting the icon dropdown :-)
  • Add propane to marina options

Oh and add to garbage/recycling marinas as well...
Your entries are excellent. 18 icons in one sitting. Well done.

I am able to change/add most of what you have mentioned above.

This is tricky as we don’t want to openly give the ability for users to delete icons. At the moment you can report an icon and in the report say ‘please delete as it was misplaced’, and we will delete it that same day. You can then create a new icon in the correct location. I will brain storm a more efficient way to solve this problem and will get back to you with my thoughts.

This we can do. It’s easy so I’ll add it to the list of the up coming programming.
    We will also change the look of the drop down menu to be two rows of icon types and to extend the drop down menu further down the screen so that most of the icon types are visible without having to scroll through them. We have also discussed putting the icons in categories (rather than alphabetical) which will make finding the icon you want easier.

I’m having trouble reproducing this issue. A few people have mentioned this and we are keen to fix it. It’s going to be related to a browser or device type but we haven’t found the common theme to determine where the problem is. This is at the top of the list of bugs to fix. Any help would be appreciated like providing me with your device and browser type.

• Add propane to marina options Oh and add to garbage/recycling marinas as

Absolutely. I’ll do this today.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 19:38   #63
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Looks great! Thanks!

Using a laptop on a high-speed WiFi connection, scrolling in and out seems very smooth.

Trying to "over-zoom" brings up the satellite view. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Maybe someone has compiled a list including lat/lon in digital format, but I haven't looked. The other option is to painstakingly generate that list from sources like the Coast Pilot. Are you working on a strictly volunteer basis, or are there resources to pay for this effort?
The zoom returning to satellite view at a close -in view will be changed. I thought it might be good but I don’t like it. It will require a bit of tweeking to get it functioning perfectly across all devices.

Concerning seeding Pilot chart information. We are willing to put in the leg work to input government data if we can find a good source. We have started doing this in Australia where there are government maps showing public moorings, bridge hieghts etc. these are displayed on a map/chart which makes it easy to input to Zulu. If we can find a similar public service for the US region we will happily input the data. The example you posted looks like it would take a lot of interpretation and time to get the correct information in the exact locations. It’s a shame it’s not Lon/Lat specific. If someone finds a good source of information please let us know and we will happily spend the time to input that data to the Zulu map.

To answer your question. There are no resources to pay for data input. In the future, once the service really takes off it would be an option to have boaters who are paid to monitor areas on the map. But we are no where near that stage yet.
Old 26-03-2018, 16:37   #64
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Just adding some PNW
Macblaze has added 50+ icons in the last two days showing how one mans efforts can transform an area on the map from a wasteland into a very useful guide.

https://zuluwaterways.com/map/49.435....0631103515625
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE50E661-BC73-48B2-982F-C78245209F2E.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	167159  
Old 26-03-2018, 17:36   #65

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
Macblaze has added 50+ icons in the last two days showing how one mans efforts can transform an area on the map from a wasteland into a very useful guide.

https://zuluwaterways.com/map/49.435....0631103515625
Of course I am doing it while wasting my time playing Civ VI on my slow-assed computer and waiting for the AI to make its moves...that's why they are pretty sparse.
Old 26-03-2018, 23:03   #66
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Of course I am doing it while wasting my time playing Civ VI on my slow-assed computer and waiting for the AI to make its moves...that's why they are pretty sparse.
I just looked up the game. Looks addictive.

I use to love Age of Emperors. I don't know if it's still available.
Old 27-03-2018, 15:41   #67
Marine Service Provider

Captain Tom.
Are you still interested in adding your knowledge to the program?
Old 28-03-2018, 07:23   #68

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
Captain Tom.
Are you still interested in adding your knowledge to the program?
Yes, I've had a few other things going on, but once things quiet down I hope to dig out my old logs and photos, and start plugging some in.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 23:18   #69
Marine Service Provider

Zulu now has worldwide Navionics charts for free as one of the map options. It's also had many improvements to performance and some changes to the look/feel. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 2.39.14 pm.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	182797  
Old 27-12-2018, 11:33   #70

Boat: Kaufman 47

Very cool! Got the email about this the other day. We'll be cruising more this coming year and hoping to get some info in there on the Gulf Coast. Thanks again guys for the great service.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 12:30   #71

Looks great, thanks for the effort.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zulu.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	182820  
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 19:37   #72
Marine Service Provider

Just added a measuring tool to measure distance in nm. The video to the new feature is here. https://youtu.be/ey7ZzZ_gfww

Offline is on its way now and another offline option we are exploring is open CPN. Is everyone still interested in this option?
Old 21-01-2019, 07:21   #73

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

OpenCPN would be a great add on for working off line
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:50   #74

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I think OpenCPN integration would be a big help toward getting more exposure up here in N America. To me, ActiveCaptain integration was the only thing OpenCPN was missing before. (And yes, I know it got political. Not my fight; I'm just a dumb user.)
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising guide, rib, sail, water, Zulu Waterways