Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 03:34   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Are there North American sailors out there willing to contribute to Zulu Waterway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
I know AC never allowed developers on Open-CPN to write a plugin for it. I cannot remember the logic behind this.

Would Zulu Waterway can provide some plugin for Open-CPN and off line operation?
Concerning Open CPN: I'm looking into this in greater detail today and have asked some questions I need answered to an Open CPN forum. It feels like a real possibility. I'll update you when I know more.

Concerning offline mode. That is next in the list of things to code and has always been part of the plan from the beginning. An offline version of the app will even allow information to be input in offline mode and uploaded to the live server once reconnected.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 05:37   #32

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Are there North American sailors out there willing to contribute to Zulu Waterway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
Concerning Open CPN: I'm looking into this in greater detail today and have asked some questions I need answered to an Open CPN forum. It feels like a real possibility. I'll update you when I know more.

Concerning offline mode. That is next in the list of things to code and has always been part of the plan from the beginning. An offline version of the app will even allow information to be input in offline mode and uploaded to the live server once reconnected.
That's great news! I've downloaded the app but haven't used it because I'm always out of internet range in my neck of the water.

Seeing how poorly Garmin has charted the islands in the sea of Cortez made me wish I could add a warning to other uses that would show up on the charts.

Navionics on my tablet has a warning that the islands were charted improperly and fixed seven years ago. Crowd information can be a good thing.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 07:58   #33

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Well the people have spoken and it makes sense to me. I'm working on coding in the NOAA charts as we speak. I should have it up and running soon (a few days)
Quote:

Great! This kind of proactive response to users is exactly what will generate that "buzz" among cruisers that I mentioned in an earlier post.

This forum has probably one of the largest concentrations of "real" cruisers. Convince this crowd and you've really planted a seed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:10   #34

Just giving this a bump following the reports that Active Captain integration in some or all third-party apps is being discontinued.

That announcement certainly has me looking for other options!
Old 08-03-2018, 15:40   #35
Marine Service Provider

A quick update. We are moving ahead with the integration of the NOAA charts to Zulu Waterways. It will be complete by early next week and will be displayed as a map option for the US region. We are also making some improvements to performance and increase functionality of the site/app.

We have just heard the news that Active Captain will no longer supply its information to (some/all?) third party services. We are happy to step up and provide a similar service as AC did and would be interested in talking with services who are looking for a new source of information, like that which AC supplied them. We encourage boaters to give Zulu Waterways a go and test the functionality of the site/app. If you would like to see this platform grow in your region (particularly the US region) to the point where it could be applied to your other platforms, then we encourage you to start adding information to your local waterways. We are working from our side to constantly improve the performance and functions of Zulu and feel it’s a good platform which now needs support from the community to grow in the US region.

Nicholas Baillie Jackson
Zulu Waterways.
Old 08-03-2018, 16:22   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have been signed on to Zula Waterways for a while but had not previously posted to the site. As others have noted, it's going to take a lot of data entry for the US to make it useful here but how to get enough people to enter data if there isn't enough to attract them to begin with.

I just tried entering a couple of points and ran into a problem. Maybe I'm missing something or don't know the process. I clicked to enter a marker at a location, then clicked to get the popup box to select icon, enter info, etc.

When I finished typing information about the location I could not figure out how to scroll down to the bottom of the data entry window to click "Post". Couldn't tab, move, slide, or??? Finally I zoomed the screen down to very small so the window shrunk and the "Post" button appeared. Must be an easier way?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 16:41   #37
Marine Service Provider

Hi skipmac
What device are you using? We have had this issue reported by another user and are addressing it now. Needless to say scrolling down to the post button should function flawlessly. If you could share with me your device type, I will resolve this issue ASAP.
Old 08-03-2018, 16:58   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi skipmac
What device are you using? We have had this issue reported by another user and are addressing it now. Needless to say scrolling down to the post button should function flawlessly. If you could share with me your device type, I will resolve this issue ASAP.
Hello. Good (I guess), it's not me. I thought you were going to tell me that the server is in the southern hemisphere and I had to turn my keyboard upside down.

I'm using a plain vanilla Dell laptop with Windows 10. 3-4 year old model as I recall. Let me know if you need any further details.
Old 08-03-2018, 18:26   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I thought you were going to tell me that the server is in the southern hemisphere and I had to turn my keyboard upside down.
Yes Ive been meaning to add to the Zulu FAQ’s:

‘If posting from the northern hemisphere make sure you are standing on your head before clicking the post button’
Old 08-03-2018, 18:59   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

‘If posting from the northern hemisphere make sure you are standing on your head before clicking the post button’
Old 08-03-2018, 19:26   #41
Marine Service Provider

As mentioned previously in this thread, it’s a chicken and egg scenario with information on a newer platform. Hopefully many sailors will take a leap of faith and add some of what they know to Zulu Waterways. It amazing how quickly the map fills up and turns into a snow ball effect as others then choose to contribute more to that area. It happened on the east coast of Australia very fast with far less sailors to contribute and a lot of coast line to cover. We will continue to do what we can on our side to make the platform as user friendly as possible, to encourage new sailors to sign up and will take opportunities where we can to seed information to the US region. I hope we see more adopting this new platform over the next few months.

Any thoughts on how to improve the program and we are always willing to listen.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:12   #42

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Hi skipmac
The specific behaviour (as far as I can tell) is that one makes a new entry from the top down: icon - name - body. But when your curser is in the body you cannot scroll down. Only when you reselect the icon does the scrolling work again.

signed,
the other user

Old 09-03-2018, 08:47   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
The specific behaviour (as far as I can tell) is that one makes a new entry from the top down: icon - name - body. But when your curser is in the body you cannot scroll down. Only when you reselect the icon does the scrolling work again.

signed,
the other user

Aha. The secret. Is this what is known in the industry as a hidden feature?

Will give it a go and see if I can make it work.
Old 09-03-2018, 14:51   #44

Quote:

Ahh, but what we really want to know is whether the water flushes clockwise, or counter-clockwise? Or should I say anti-clockwise? It's all so confusing!

Serious question though: Can I post-date entries? In other words, can I enter reviews for places I've been in the past?

In many cases I have good log entries and photos to jog my memory, but I wouldn't want to pretend it's a current review. For all I know things may have changed. I'd want the date on the review to reflect when I was actually there.
Old 09-03-2018, 15:30   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Can I post-date entries? In other words, can I enter reviews for places I've been in the past?
Yes you can post date. Obviously post dating works better for some information rather than other information but it is fine to do so provided the user reading it knows that. So just put a date at the top of the entry and at the bottom I will add some text prompting others to confirm the information.
Can anyone confirm this information is still correct?
It would be great to have you input your information and photos.

Concerning the water flow. I'm not sure my pump toilet will produce very scientific results. But I'm off to try anyway!

Tags
cruising guide, rib, sail, water, Zulu Waterways