Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2008, 09:25   #1

Boat: grampian 26
Aqua seal

I have way too much time on my hands. I was looking on line for water proofing for charts and found this stuff called "Aqua Seal". Any one familiar with this stuff and if it works as advertised?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:19   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I use it on my dry-suit cuffs and boots.

It's texture is like 5200 but over time starts to delaminate at the edges. And it doesn't like the sun, it turns yellow.
Old 22-12-2008, 12:51   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If, Per chance, this is the same AquaSeal sold to scuba divers for wetsuit repairs, it is a urethane glue similar to Goop and I'd never try painting it on charts. Comes in a tube? Probably the wrong product for you, you need one of the watery ones sold in camping and other stores for waterproofing charts.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 13:47   #4

aqua seal

Not he same as the wet suit material. This out fit makes a variety of water proofing products for leather etc. They don't give a physical address but they are online as aqua seal .com
Old 22-12-2008, 15:59   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Interesting.

Here's the glue, and the logo looks pretty much the same--two different companies marketing two different products under one same registered trademark?!
Old 22-12-2008, 17:42   #6

I have no idea but my eyes do not deceive me. please note the space between aqua and seal.
Old 22-12-2008, 18:46   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What space? Neither company uses one, and neither logo has one. The "AS" in the midle of each logo are actually continuous letters--not even separated. And, the web does not allow for a URL like "aqua seal.com", spaces are not allowed in URLs, their name is "aquaseal" too.

Now that I look at it, the artwork for the marks IS somewhat different--but similar enough that the average consumer would just say "something's diffferent, must be new packaging".
Old 23-12-2008, 03:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I imagine AQUASEAL® MAP SEAL® is a surface sizing product, similar to those used by artists & (old fashioned) draftsmen. I'd expect such products to render charts "water-resistant". True "water-proof" charts would be made with sized wood fibre paper, subsequently surface sized.
Goto: Aquaseal® Map Seal®

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 08:32   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"True "water-proof" charts would be made with sized wood fibre paper, subsequently surface sized."
So it is true that Canada is so primitive you've never had true water-proof charts up there? In the US they are printed on plastic stock, similar to DuPont Tyvek, sometimes other latex-based sheets, but there's no wood or plant fiber used in our waterproof charts. They're plastic, plain and simple, no coating required.
Not available for everything--but nice when they are.

We also have large plastic "zip lock" map pouches, about 17" x 22" in size, to hold a folded chart or chart book and keep it dry but visible and useable above deck. You need a grease pencil or crayon to plot on them that way though.<G>
Old 24-12-2008, 11:49   #10

Yes it's true. Our waterproof charts are done on birch bark. They double as emergency repair patches for our birch bark sailing canoes.
Old 24-12-2008, 12:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"True "water-proof" charts would be made with sized wood fibre paper, subsequently surface sized."
So it is true that Canada is so primitive you've never had true water-proof charts up there? In the US they are printed on plastic stock, similar to DuPont Tyvek, sometimes other latex-based sheets, but there's no wood or plant fiber used in our waterproof charts. They're plastic, plain and simple, no coating required...
It's not Canada that's that primitive - it's I.
You're quite right about modern water-proof printed matter being synthetic.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals