Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 01:03   #1

Boat: Jarkan 10.5
Anyone using Rainman water maker

I am thinking of maybe buying the new Rainman electric water maker, I like the portability of it and price wise suits my budget , anyone out there like to share their thoughts on this manufacture.
The company and products are quite new so I probably won't get much response, here's a link anyway.
www.rainmandesal.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 05:39   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Anyone using Rainman water maker

There is another thread going on where two people who have them, and the owner of the company, are participating.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 00:09   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Rainman

As Mark says above, there is another current thread about Rainman.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-134641-3.html

The customer feedback was about the petrol version though. You won't get any first hand commentary about the electric unit yet as we are just in final production of the first batch. They are basically made up, just waiting for the shell to be moulded. We're expecting first shipments of the 240V version by mid November 2014.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss it further.

Ron
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 03:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ron.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 13:06   #5

Boat: Jarkan 10.5

Thanks Rainman,

bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 03:23   #6

If anyone is following this thread, we have just shipped the first batch of 240V electric Rainman Desal systems. Unfortunately, we underestimated demand, so are out of stock. We have pallets of motors and pumps on the way, so should have systems available again by mid-December.

Incidentally, if anyone happens to be at METS this week in Amsterdam, stop by and see us at booth 11-825.
Old 19-08-2015, 14:29   #7

It's been a little while now since the electric Rainman system has been launched.
Is there anyone willing to give an update. Cheers
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 15:08   #8

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Pee Wee,
only last night I was talking to a friend who has a Rainman water maker on his boat. Its not the electric version by the motor model. He rates it very highly stating he gets 70 litres an hour and used about 0.75 litres an hour of fuel to run the unit. I am heading over to have a look at it working later in the day. One of the excellent points he made was that if he had a unit installed in his boat he would not get anywhere near the money he paid for it when and if he ever sells his boat. With this model he can take the unit off and sell it seperately or take it camping with him. He indicated the maintenance was very straight forward and he is no rocket surgeon plus it was less than half the cost of a fully installed model.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Lake Macquarie - Australlia
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 16:09   #9

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Pee Wee,
further to my last post I had the opportunity to view the petrol one in action yesterday. Very impressive. Water quality appeared very good after tasting and all the construction looked well designed and built. Having seen it in action I have no doubt that it will make the claimed amount of water as advertised. The owner told me that if he put in a second membrane that he could effectively increase his water output by double, cost approximately an extra $1000. His cover was made of fibreglass but we would told that the new one are made out of polypropylene. I found the motor a bit noisy (honda petrol) but it is miserly on the fuel. Unless you have a dedicated sea water inlet in your hull you would need to be anchored or going very low speeds if using the drop hose.
I have no doubt the 240 Volt unit would be quieter but I will be chasing up the power consumption to see if a inverter would do the job otherwise its a case of using shore power or a generator. If using a generator I see no advantage over having the petrol one unless you have a builtin penny on board.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 16:24   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

I saw them at a boat show. The gas generator is just a re-branded Honda EU-2000, which I already happen to have. Strongly considering it, but not making a decision until we have to which is a few years down the road.

I like the idea and the demo unit was doing a good job at the show.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 19:06   #11

I have been using the electric model since May this year, and use it on a regular basis now cruising in FNQ. I run it with a Honda 2kw generator and am very happy with the ease of use and it's performance. I purchased the economy single tube reverse osmosis unit which I have mounted permanently tucked away in a spare space.
mikeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 19:20   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
I saw them at a boat show. The gas generator is just a re-branded Honda EU-2000, which I already happen to have. Strongly considering it, but not making a decision until we have to which is a few years down the road.

I like the idea and the demo unit was doing a good job at the show.

Ummmm....the gas version isn't a generator. It's a honda gas engine driving a high pressure pump.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 20:04   #13

I don't spend as much time as I'd like on this forum, but someone pointed this thread out to us.

Sailmonkey is correct. The petrol/gas version of our pressure unit uses a Honda GXH50 (50cc) motor in it, but it is not a generator. There is a belt drive off the shaft to directly power the lift pump and the high pressure pump. The system was certainly inspired by the Honda EU2000 though, and Honda have been very supportive in our design.

This is part of the reason it is so miserly on fuel. A generator and an electric pressure system has to convert mechanical energy into electrical, transfer it to the electric motor, which converts electrical energy back to mechanical. There are losses at each conversion stage. The 50cc motor we use is the same one Honda puts in their 1kva generator. The Honda 1kva generator is not powerful enough to drive our electric unit because of those slight energy losses described above.

Many people also ask whether we can add a generator capability on the petrol/gas unit as well. We designed the system to incorporate the smallest motor we could while sufficiently meeting our pressure and flow rate parameters. As such, there is simply not enough spare energy to use it as a generator as well.

Our electric unit followed the similar single power plant design principles, but with a fully sealed induction motor. We designed it with a through shaft, so we can put the lift pump on one side and the high pressure pump on the other. Thus there is only one electric motor in the system that runs at just under 1300 watts, perfect for a Honda 2kva generator.
Old 29-08-2015, 04:47   #14

Have bought one of the electric Rainman watermakers. The two membrane, 140 litre per hour version. We have a small diesel genset on our catamaran to power it, so we went for the electric model. It compared more than favourably with the competition with regard to price, quality and simplicity.
Despite the company's plan to keep it portable, I decided to install it inside one of our hulls. I have plumbed it in using tees off my saltwater deck wash inlet and existing drains for brine discharge. My only major modification was the addition of a filter manifold on the inlet side to give two saltwater filters ( 20 and 5 micron) instead of Rainman's single 5 micron as well as a carbon filter for a freshwater flush using water from our tank. Rainman were very helpful with regard to advice during installation and even sent me some plumbing fittings to suit the outlet tubing.
I have retained the "modular" concept of the design by installing the pump/motor module in one space and the membrane assembly in another. If the watermaker needs repair these " modules" can be disconnected and removed.
The watermaker has been installed for 4 months and has provided reliable, fast and good quality water on our extended cruise. The output has matched or exceeded specifications, probably due to warm (22 to 24 degree C) water.
I have no connection to the company, other than being a satisfied customer.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 05:56   #15

Are they available yet in Europe. How much do they cost?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
PangurBan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water